Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
University of Alabama at Birmingham
Birmingham, Alabama

UAB Football Official Site

UAB Blazer Talk CSN Message Board

Protective Stadium
Opens on Saturday - Seats 45,000

Bill Clark
UAB Head Coach

2021 Schedule/Results

SEP 01 - vs. JACKSONVILLE STATE in Montgomery ..... W 31-0
SEP 11 - @ #2 GEORGIA ................................................ L 7-56
SEP 18 - @ NORTH TEXAS* ........................................... W 40-6
SEP 25 - @ TULANE ...................................................... W 28-21
OCT 02 - LIBERTY .......................................................... 7:00 PM ET
OCT 09 - FLORIDA ATLANTIC*
OCT 16 - @ SOUTHERN MISS*
OCT 23 - RICE*
NOV 06 - LOUISIANA TECH*
NOV 13 - @ MARSHALL*
NOV 20 - @ UTSA*
NOV 26 - UTEP*
DEC 03 - CONFERENCE USA CHAMPIONSHIP
By rtb72
tyndal23 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 2:18 pm I think UAB has the potential to absolutely embarrass us.
Their wins have been pretty impressive. Only loss was UGA, and won this past Saturday at Tulane as underdogs. The same Tulane that gave OU all they could handle. Gonna be a tough one...
By tyndal23
rtb72 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 2:54 pm
tyndal23 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 2:18 pm I think UAB has the potential to absolutely embarrass us.
Their wins have been pretty impressive. Only loss was UGA, and won this past Saturday at Tulane as underdogs. The same Tulane that gave OU all they could handle. Gonna be a tough one...
Their O and D Line look top end SEC.
By willflop
Freeze talked a lot about complementary football last year...aka snails pace on offense (see game against Tech) to limit defensive snaps to complement our lack of depth. This year, the staff has talked about having a true two deep on defense. Are we at the point where this needs to be inversed? Tempo, tempo, tempo to complement our offenses inability to avoid pressure and sacks? We are now ranked 115th in the country for sacks allowed. After NC State, especially, does any team that has a pulse in defense have the key to slowing us down? We've only played two teams with good defenses, relatively speaking, and in both we've been held to 21 points this year.
jmclaughlin liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Arguably second biggest game left on the schedule. UAB seems to be the front runner for an AAC call. Games on the CBSS network.

I question how we utilized Lewis Saturday. He's deadly if your start off grinding with Mack and Green and slip him in later, after their defense is winded a bit. I like the sound of more tempo.

I think we bring it this week.
sstaedtler liked this
By tyndal23
willflop wrote: September 26th, 2021, 4:14 pm Freeze talked a lot about complementary football last year...aka snails pace on offense (see game against Tech) to limit defensive snaps to complement our lack of depth. This year, the staff has talked about having a true two deep on defense. Are we at the point where this needs to be inversed? Tempo, tempo, tempo to complement our offenses inability to avoid pressure and sacks? We are now ranked 115th in the country for sacks allowed. After NC State, especially, does any team that has a pulse in defense have the key to slowing us down? We've only played two teams with good defenses, relatively speaking, and in both we've been held to 21 points this year.
Our O line isn’t getting a consistent push, pass blocking way down compared to last year. Everything looks pedestrian without a good O Line. Hoping our injuries mend quickly or it’s going to be rough. UAB runs a stretch QB RB read option and whatever we did 2nd half of NC State last year to shut it down - we will need to do it from the get go.
LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Stadium is brand-spanking new (and SOLD OUT) and a little smaller than historic Legion Field, but looks perfect for UAB to open against LU. :shock: :nod :clapping
By Dalegarz1
Not feeling great about this one! Very solid team-new stadium-crowd noise. We will have to play our best game thus far. If you thought the Cuse game was pivotal, this one might very well set the tone for a very good season or quite average.
By JCS Flames Fan 31
tyndal23 wrote: September 26th, 2021, 3:07 pm
I'll push back on this a bit, to say these guys are top end SEC is a stretch. They got completely embarrased at UGA who is top end SEC, I watched all but the final quarter of that game and have watched 2 of their other games. They were 0-0 at half with FCS team Jack St. finally coming alive a little in second half to win that one. North Texas is not good this year by any stretch of the imagination. Only win I give them is beating Tulane this past week. I am with everyone on here saying it will be a challenge and possibly loss for sure with it being a sell out crowd and tough road atmosphere. But to say a team coming off a loss thats motivated to prove any doubters and nay sayers wrong spearheaded by Mailk Willis is going to get embarrassed is an overreaction to a tough Power 5 loss on the road. Liberty will be challenged and it should be a great game, but UAB isn't Bama so we'll be alright! :wink:
By tyndal23
JCS Flames Fan 31 wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:42 pm

I'll push back on this a bit, to say these guys are top end SEC is a stretch. They got completely embarrased at UGA who is top end SEC, I watched all but the final quarter of that game and have watched 2 of their other games. They were 0-0 at half with FCS team Jack St. finally coming alive a little in second half to win that one. North Texas is not good this year by any stretch of the imagination. Only win I give them is beating Tulane this past week. I am with everyone on here saying it will be a challenge and possibly loss for sure with it being a sell out crowd and tough road atmosphere. But to say a team coming off a loss thats motivated to prove any doubters and nay sayers wrong spearheaded by Mailk Willis is going to get embarrassed is an overreaction to a tough Power 5 loss on the road. Liberty will be challenged and it should be a great game, but UAB isn't Bama so we'll be alright! :wink:
Jackson St 10-0 at half, 24-0 3rd qtr,31-0 final to a team that beat FSU the next week.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/m ... /401282050
By tyndal23
tyndal23 wrote: September 27th, 2021, 4:48 pm
JCS Flames Fan 31 wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Jackson St 10-0 at half, 24-0 3rd qtr,31-0 final to a team that beat FSU the next week.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/m ... /401282050
I will roll with your positive vibes and hope my eyes are deceiving me and that our weakness all year really isn’t exposed more Saturday vs their strengths.
By jmclaughlin
We need better WR play this week to have a chance! If we have Sibley in the game in a key moment, life will be tough. We missed Stubbs Friday but also need Lofton, Frith, Moore, Coleman, Brumm to step up. Not to mention big # 0 who has been MIA (2 catches on the year). I am going to guess 90% of Willis throws are to the outside. It baffles me with the amount of pressure we were getting from 'Cuse that we couldn't get more action short middle. Easy answer is that our slot guys are having to play in the boundaries and our TE's are having to block blitzing LB's.
willflop liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:22 am I would like to see more of a screen game (middle screens). It keeps the defense honest and has been missing from our game plan.
A couple of screens in Syracuse would have help greatly.
By jmclaughlin
UAB Quick thoughts after watching some of their games:
* Look disciplined on film but statistically are 126th in penalty's. 32 penalty's against in first 3 games. Only 6 last week.
* Gritty in all phases but not impressive athletically. Blue collar type of team...think Wisconsin light

On O:
* Good unit up front on offensive line. Not overly athletic but experienced.
* TE #20, Prince is really good! TE is a misnomer as he splits wide on a lot of sets and rarely in the blocking scheme.
* QB's are mobile'ish. not going to gouge us for big chunks on the ground but all move well in the pocket. All system QB's that are adequate. Unclear who starts Saturday.
* RB's are average, system backs. longest carry of the year is 28 yards.
*Key stat: convert only 35% of 3rd downs (95th in country)

* Look solid in kicking game as well

On D:
* Solid - No one jumps out on film but they are consistently in position to make plays
* 3-4 setup in early games... Primarily 4-3 vs. Tulane
Front 4, good engine run stuffers but not dynamic in pass rush. 116th in country in tackles for loss yards (16 yds. p/g). only 3 sacks on the year.
* Tackle well, LB's especially.
* Coverage is primarily zone with some press coverage on the ends. Try to keep everything in front of them
* Have forced 6 TO's on year. 4 last week. (LU- 2 so far)

One of those teams that doesn't impress you in warmups but will come out and grind you down when the clock is moving.
Last edited by jmclaughlin on September 28th, 2021, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LU 57, ballcoach15, willflop liked this
By rtb72
I just looked at our depth chart released for this game; I thought Alves was out? Also, looks like Barbir is starting it out.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker: Alex Barbir
Backup: Jason Stricker

Punter: Aidan Alves
Backup: Max Morgan
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: September 28th, 2021, 10:00 pm I just looked at our depth chart released for this game; I thought Alves was out? Also, looks like Barbir is starting it out.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker: Alex Barbir
Backup: Jason Stricker

Punter: Aidan Alves
Backup: Max Morgan

Alves had surgery on his clavicle, and will be out for "an extended period". I don't know who puts together those weekly depth charts, but they have not been right once all year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: September 29th, 2021, 8:37 am Maybe that’s the point.
Maybe, although the principal of Occum's razor would suggest the likeliest reason is incompetence. In the past, that would have almost been a given, but I think it's safe to say this is in fact the most competent staff we have ever had, so.................
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]