Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Malik showed us more of what we expect out of him this evening. He looks composed and sometimes it feels like he could run all day if he was so inclined. As Medic mentioned in the gam thread, he does have a tendency to hold the ball too long trying to make something happen. I feel confident Coach Freeze will address that concern.

The defensive front abused that young ODU offensive line. Our secondary looked sharp once again. I have to admit this is the first game I can recall where Javon Scruggs' name wasn't called incessantly. But that may have been a product of the D-Line chewing up so many tackles.

Special teams was sloppy tonight. Thankfully we overmatched them in other phases of the game and it didn't play a significant role. But I fully expect that the Orange will capitalize on such sloppiness if we don't clean it up by Friday.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Javon still had 5 tackles, all solo.
Kendy Charles with 3 sacks. Ithink he is going to be special. A wide-body inside guy with the athleticism to rush the passer.
sstaedtler liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
A win is a win but if we play like that against Syracuse , UAB or Louisiana-Lafayette we’re gonna get smoked
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I don’t see a Hugh freeze coached team getting smoked, even if we play like that. However, I agree we need to clean that up.
PAmedic liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Only other thing I’d trade our 8 for their 12

In a freakin heartbeat. That kid is a beast
phoenix, flameshaw liked this
By cruzan_flame13
PAmedic wrote: September 18th, 2021, 9:47 pm Only other thing I’d trade our 8 for their 12

In a freakin heartbeat. That kid is a beast
We tried to get him a few years back but we were late in the recruiting process. Elijah is Hill City boy.
LUOrange liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
You're right. This game is kind of like playing a good FCS team. You can never be really happy with a solid win, but you're even more ticked if it's close.
By tyndal23
PAmedic wrote: September 18th, 2021, 9:31 pm A win is a win but if we play like that against Syracuse , UAB or Louisiana-Lafayette we’re gonna get smoked
We covered a 27.5 spread. Please explain.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I've mentioned before that I tend to go read through opponents' boards after a win like this. I remember how we all felt years ago when LU football struggled, and it's fun to see the progression from "Why are we playing Liberty Junior College?" to "Hey, these guys are a good football team."

After visiting the ODU board, though, I really hope we never play these guys again. That place is a trash heap, and I feel like I need to go take a shower after reading through it. I'd rather read most of the stuff Syracuse fans post about us - heck, I'd rather go read CoastalFans. I hope ODU sends their football program back to FCS - the team might deserve better, but it's where their fans belong.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
If you win like we do, you're gonna have haters.
I will say their fan base seems exceptionally immature though, even compared to other fan bases.

I think we should keep playing them though. It's hard to find easy FBS wins. :lol:
Liberty22 liked this
By LU 57
Sly Fox wrote: September 18th, 2021, 9:20 pm Malik showed us more of what we expect out of him this evening. He looks composed and sometimes it feels like he could run all day if he was so inclined. As Medic mentioned in the gam thread, he does have a tendency to hold the ball too long trying to make something happen. I feel confident Coach Freeze will address that concern.

The defensive front abused that young ODU offensive line. Our secondary looked sharp once again. I have to admit this is the first game I can recall where Javon Scruggs' name wasn't called incessantly. But that may have been a product of the D-Line chewing up so many tackles.

Special teams was sloppy tonight. Thankfully we overmatched them in other phases of the game and it didn't play a significant role. But I fully expect that the Orange will capitalize on such sloppiness if we don't clean it up by Friday.
I was think the same thing about Scruggs. I forgot he was on the field. Good problem to have.
By LU 57
Kricket wrote: September 19th, 2021, 12:01 am If you win like we do, you're gonna have haters.
I will say their fan base seems exceptionally immature though, even compared to other fan bases.

I think we should keep playing them though. It's hard to find easy FBS wins. :lol:
I felt compelled to check out their board🤣.

Wow, that is about as bad as I have seen. Sly, you and others that kept your composure there, well done. It’s amazing the things people will say from behind a keyboard.

Makes me really appreciative of this board, and how considerate the vast majority of ASOR posters are.
Kricket, Liberty22, LUOrange liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I think the mods might have removed the worst posts over there too.

To echo what you're saying, LU 57, hard to imagine this board getting like that to opposing fans. I hope we can all remember how ugly it looks to behave that way so we can remain a classy bunch, even when a tough loss occurs.
Liberty22, phoenix, LU 57 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Also, a Liberty fan went over on their board before the game and predicted the exact score. Impressive.

Sakatalonzo wrote:
First thing is, I'm glad to see ODU is playing football again. 2nd thing is that we finally get to play each other again. Now for the not so good news. Liberty will win today and leave no doubt, but I believe ODU is heading in the right direction.

Prediction-

Liberty - 45
ODY - 17

#RISEWITHUS
LU 57, phoenix, Liberty22 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: September 18th, 2021, 9:31 pm A win is a win but if we play like that against Syracuse , UAB or Louisiana-Lafayette we’re gonna get smoked
I'm gunna beg to differ on that one. This was a dominant performance with a few hiccoughs, and accomplished with some key players still out. Saying we would essentially need to play perfect ball to not get"smoked" by those 3 teams is giving them way too much credit IMHO. Ole Miss is another matter.
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: September 19th, 2021, 10:15 am
I'm gunna beg to differ on that one. This was a dominant performance with a few hiccoughs, and accomplished with some key players still out. Saying we would essentially need to play perfect ball to not get"smoked" by those 3 teams is giving them way too much credit IMHO. Ole Miss is another matter.
:lol: Army is my biggest fear. They are scary good.
By LUDad
Sitting up in the stands, I was frustrated with some of the losses MW took by not throwing ball away. However, after thinking about it, I realized I was forgetting how many times he has turned what seems to be disasters into TD's or long gains. I hope he keeps using his instincts to create and not worry about the occasional losses. I just hope he throws the ball away if he is about to go out of bounds.
Liberty22 liked this
By BlueBlood
TH Spangler wrote: September 19th, 2021, 9:47 am Student section is the best ever. Packed from end to end and loud until the end. Gameday atmosphere is classy, canned music, band and staff.
I was late on liking this because I spent the day driving home from the game.

The student section is truly special. They bring so much life to the stadium. And I love how much love they show SOTM. And speaking of SOTM - they bring it.

Go Flames!
LU 57, Liberty22, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
By LUOrange
BlueBlood wrote: September 19th, 2021, 8:06 pm
TH Spangler wrote: September 19th, 2021, 9:47 am Student section is the best ever. Packed from end to end and loud until the end. Gameday atmosphere is classy, canned music, band and staff.
I was late on liking this because I spent the day driving home from the game.

The student section is truly special. They bring so much life to the stadium. And I love how much love they show SOTM. And speaking of SOTM - they bring it.

Go Flames!
They were pretty loud most of the game. the Baptist side not so much. I can't wait to see the Bill packed with 25K, cause it'll be really loud in there. I'll add that they need to add some speakers on the berm side or turn the volume back up cause it was hard to hear most things from the PA announcer and the music.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
Are we all just going to ignore the "F*** Biden" chant by the students?

My guess is yes.

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.