Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ASOR Forums Admin
Posts Custom
LIBERTY OPENS AS A 6-POINT FAVORITE OVER TROY

Liberty football has opened as a 6-point favorite against Troy, as Week 2 opening lines were announced on Sunday. The Flames (1-0) will travel to Troy, Alabama to face the Trojans (1-0) on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. Following each team’s first game of the season, ESPN’s Matchup Predictor gives Troy a 77.4% chance at winning the game.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE
By Ill flame
I think it's important to note that ESPN uses fpi to predict games and it's almost useless this early in the season. It had us dropping 10 spots and at a 77% chance of making a bowl after blowing out Campbell. Last week they had us at nearly a 95% chance of making a bowl.

Also Illinois somehow moved up 7 spots while losing to UTSA while UTSA dropped a few slots. It just doesn't mean much this early in the season.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
This crap ESPN dreams up is nothing but a bunch of numbers, that mean nothing when the football is placed on the tee. Sort of like analytical numbers in baseball.
Pay close attention to the first 4 letters in analytics.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: September 5th, 2021, 5:16 pm I think it's important to note that ESPN uses fpi to predict games and it's almost useless this early in the season. It had us dropping 10 spots and at a 77% chance of making a bowl after blowing out Campbell. Last week they had us at nearly a 95% chance of making a bowl.

Also Illinois somehow moved up 7 spots while losing to UTSA while UTSA dropped a few slots. It just doesn't mean much this early in the season.
I don't pay much attention to it, especially early on, but it makes you wonder. If we won by 6 touchdowns and dropped 10 spots, what could we possibly have done to hold our place? I think the answer is there is nothing.
By jmclaughlin
Watched the Troy - Sothern game from Saturday and as a result, feel better about our matchup. In short the 55-3 score is a better reflection of how poorly Southern executed (4 BAD Int's) as opposed to how dominant Troy was. Not saying Troy will not be a test or that we are far superior, but we match up well with Troy in most facets. I can see this being a real test of our offense to execute in space and will need all 11 engaged in every play (Freeze gets that out of his players). I will be pleased if we cross 34 points generated by our offense.

Where I really see an advantage is when they have the ball. Powell looks the part of a solid FBS QB. He spins it well and on time. The line did a decent job in protection but I wasn't blown away with their athleticism up front. They have 3 good backs but none that I would say are special (Only averaged 4.2 ypc against a weak front). I would equate the offense with that of what we faced in Western Kentucky to open '20, with the replacement of a RPO QB with a statue pocket QB. Our D line has a chance to stand out this week! I am confident in our cover corners and safety's to play well on the back end and create opportunities for our front 4 to go to the buffet this week. They run a basic spread that seems to favor crossing routes that could challenge our young LB's in space. A few Big TE's that will be featured as well against our middle 3. However, without the dynamics of a mobile QB to plan for, Symons will have a plan in place to make it difficult for Troy to string consecutive first downs against our D. As good as Powell is, he will have to force some throws to stretch drives and we will see a few turnovers that will generate scoring opportunities.

We know what we have in #7 and I am sure he will make enough plays to keep us in the game on offense.

Where the game could get away from us is if we stall on some drives and have to rely on our kicking game. Our talent margin is not enough to overcome 2 missed field goals. Starting field position will be vital for LU to be successful in this one.

Feel good going into this one but hey, its football and anything can happen! LU 38 - 23
Last edited by jmclaughlin on September 9th, 2021, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tyndal23
I haven’t seen HF this irritated in a presser to date. Either this team comes out like gang busters or we have a lot to worry about.
By rtb72
This game scares me a bit. Between the rumor mill, injury report, and HCHF presser....I hope our team comes out focused and ready. We will need all cylinders clicking Saturday night.
By LU 57
tyndal23 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 1:01 pm I haven’t seen HF this irritated in a presser to date. Either this team comes out like gang busters or we have a lot to worry about.
From today? Never have known how to access it live. Hope it is not related to Rumor Mill.
By tyndal23
LU 57 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 2:29 pm
tyndal23 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 1:01 pm I haven’t seen HF this irritated in a presser to date. Either this team comes out like gang busters or we have a lot to worry about.
From today? Never have known how to access it live. Hope it is not related to Rumor Mill.
LU 57 liked this
By LU 57
tyndal23 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 2:57 pm
I don’t have a great feeling about the COVID issue…
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: September 9th, 2021, 7:00 pm Not sure what the number is for how many players you have to have in order to play but I'm getting wind that we will have more than enough to suit up, play and beat Troy.
I hope you’re right about that. I know a couple of our better defensive players will be out.
By LUOrange
tyndal23 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 2:57 pm
He definitely was aggravated. I don't think it was the Rona though. My read is it's whatever is bothering him about practice. Makes you wonder if some have gotten too confident or cocky after last year. My other question is whether or not he had this issue in year 3 at Ole Miss.
LU 57 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Remember when i posted about "not getting caught reading watch lists" ?
Coaches' comments reminded me of that post.
By jmclaughlin
So what is the COVID scoop? Who is affected, who is out? Some on here are posturing as if they have some inside scoop. Share it or sit down Adam Schiff! :wink:
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I'll take Hugh at face value on this one. You have to be demanding if you wanna win. There's no way around that. Being lackadaisical leads to mental errors. In order to prepare and execute as a team, eleven guys need to be on the same page playing with the same fire and focus. You put the team first, play through injuries, and ultimately do whatever it takes to win. HF....not happy.
By jmclaughlin
rtb72 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 7:10 pm Any info on Troy's injury/Covid situation for Saturday?
Troy is not listing any injuries that would result in a questionable status. Nor could I find any COVID issues reported. They look to be 100% healthy. LU...not so much! Sounds like D. Johnson and a few other will be out with the 'VID protocols. Speculation. I don't have the 'sources' that Ball Coach does.
rtb72 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]