Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: September 25th, 2021, 1:29 am Agreed. That needs to be earned. The sense of entitlement isn't warranted.
Entitlement? We had one of the longer win streaks in the country and finished last year ranked 17. That was earned.

Yes, we lost a tough game, and yes, we won't be ranked this year (unless we win out) because of it. Not sure I'd call fans who thought we should be ranked entitled. I definitely wouldn't call the players entitled. We were a few inches from being ranked on Sunday. That's how the ball bounces sometimes.
LUOrange, Liberty22 liked this
By LUOrange
We probably don't get ranked unless we win out and beat Ole Miss and/or finish 11-2 with a bowl win only losing to Syracuse and Ole Miss. But if we, Syracuse, and the rest of our opponents keep winning along with some other teams losing, you never know...
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The Ole Miss game always seemed to be the make or break game for us. It was always a must win in my estimation. In the best case scenario, Syracuse is a huge wake-up call for us, and we rise to the challenge. SU was running on pure adrenaline early in the game. As a team, we failed to match their intensity. They simply wanted it more, and it showed in the first half.
rtb72 liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
Post Week 4 Ranking...
No ranking in AP.
#39 in Coaches Poll.

Let's hope Syracuse finishes very strong in the ACC. That will help.
By tyndal23
paradox wrote: September 25th, 2021, 1:13 pm The Ole Miss game always seemed to be the make or break game for us. It was always a must win in my estimation. In the best case scenario, Syracuse is a huge wake-up call for us, and we rise to the challenge. SU was running on pure adrenaline early in the game. As a team, we failed to match their intensity. They simply wanted it more, and it showed in the first half.
A must win for what? You guys realize we have an O Line that 4 of the 5 were recruited for FCS. 7-5 with this schedule isn’t a “failure”. Last year was golf clap nice playing in empty stadiums against teams who had major injury and Covid issues and getting ranked in a season where most teams played a 3/4 schedule. We won 2 big P5 games and came close in a 3rd ( which was the only team that had a winning record) then beat a Coastal team that has 5’9 average O Line. The fact Coastal is currently ranked where they are just shows how dumb and influential media is. Marty and McGee account for at least 15 ranking spots for Coastal. It truly was a special season and big for LU, but please snap back to reality. We have a great staff ( so do a lot of teams), we have a special QB and a very good Defense. On offense - outside of Malik, none of our players would make the preferred walk on list at Ole Miss. IF we only lose to Syracuse and Ole Miss - Freeze should be coach of the year.
jmclaughlin liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
That will be the big game this year unless we draw better for a bowl, and that possibility is predicated on winning the Ole Miss game. Game of the year for us. It's meaningful on multiple levels.

Ole Miss is a homecoming for both HF/KA obviously, but it'a also Malik's return to the SEC. In addition, it's a match-up of potentially two of the top players in the country. Possibly, the top QBs.

60K plus stadium likely filled to capacity. This is our moment on the big stage. Certainly a unique situation for LU football.
rtb72 liked this
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: September 30th, 2021, 2:25 pm
paradox wrote: September 25th, 2021, 1:13 pm The Ole Miss game always seemed to be the make or break game for us. It was always a must win in my estimation. In the best case scenario, Syracuse is a huge wake-up call for us, and we rise to the challenge. SU was running on pure adrenaline early in the game. As a team, we failed to match their intensity. They simply wanted it more, and it showed in the first half.
A must win for what? You guys realize we have an O Line that 4 of the 5 were recruited for FCS. 7-5 with this schedule isn’t a “failure”. Last year was golf clap nice playing in empty stadiums against teams who had major injury and Covid issues and getting ranked in a season where most teams played a 3/4 schedule. We won 2 big P5 games and came close in a 3rd ( which was the only team that had a winning record) then beat a Coastal team that has 5’9 average O Line. The fact Coastal is currently ranked where they are just shows how dumb and influential media is. Marty and McGee account for at least 15 ranking spots for Coastal. It truly was a special season and big for LU, but please snap back to reality. We have a great staff ( so do a lot of teams), we have a special QB and a very good Defense. On offense - outside of Malik, none of our players would make the preferred walk on list at Ole Miss. IF we only lose to Syracuse and Ole Miss - Freeze should be coach of the year.
There's no doubt that this team is lacking some play makers at key positions but 7-5 would still be disappointing considering our schedule. Ole miss is an automatic loss. UAB, Louisiana and Army are essentially a coin flip but the other games should be easy wins. I think we will finish with 9 wins if we lose this week, 10 if we win but will be happy with an 8-4 season.
By LU 57
Pretty sure only the center was 5’9”, but I get your point.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Many underestimated the Syracuse game. That was a huge revenge game for them. We were a complete nobody last year when we went in there. In their minds, we had no business doing what we did. They chose to ignore all of the ensuing outcomes from our season, and used it as motivation. And it worked.

They get the win this time. But we still did more to ourselves than they did to us. If we clean that up, we'll be fine. I'd be surprised if LU doesn't bounce back this week in a big way. This time, we have the chip on our shoulder. We will learn a lot about this team according to how they respond.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: October 1st, 2021, 6:00 am
Pretty sure only the center was 5’9”, but I get your point.
I believe that is correct, but they were all pretty short. I don't think any of them were over 6'1" I actually believe if they recruit bigger guys going forward, Chadwell is going to have to change some things up in his offense, because they rely on those guys playing low (and sometimes bending the rules on cut blocks).
By tyndal23
paradox wrote: October 1st, 2021, 8:39 am Many underestimated the Syracuse game. That was a huge revenge game for them. We were a complete nobody last year when we went in there. In their minds, we had no business doing what we did. They chose to ignore all of the ensuing outcomes from our season, and used it as motivation. And it worked.

They get the win this time. But we still did more to ourselves than they did to us. If we clean that up, we'll be fine. I'd be surprised if LU doesn't bounce back this week in a big way. This time, we have the chip on our shoulder. We will learn a lot about this team according to how they respond.
Agreed. Last year when we stepped on the field with both Cuse and VT, offensively, we looked like a very good team. This year against Troy and Cuse, we look like a medium G5 team that has a 1st round QB. That all comes down to O Line,RB and schemes. Again, we have seen this O Line play very good in the past so I think it truly is some nagging injuries ( and communication issues, lack of cohesiveness when plugging in a different guy ) . I think there might be something going on in the RB room as well, Encouraging Pickett to move on might have been a mistake. This staff is good enough to get it rolling. Our defense is good enough to keep us in every game ( sans Ole Miss ). I will say if 6 was back this year we beat Cuse. Our young LB’s got really out of position several times.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Geraldos Mustache wrote: September 30th, 2021, 2:01 pm Post Week 4 Ranking...
No ranking in AP.
#39 in Coaches Poll.

Now back to being positive...if we pull it out against UAB and the win the ones we are supposed to, ( ULM is going to a much tougher out than people expected beginning of the year ) we will be hovering in the 25-30 range by the time Ole Miss game hits. Even with 2 losses, if Louisiana and Army keep rolling we can be ranked before bowl season.
LUOrange liked this
By LUOrange
tyndal23 wrote: October 1st, 2021, 1:07 pm
No ranking in AP.
#39 in Coaches Poll.

Now back to being positive...if we pull it out against UAB and the win the ones we are supposed to, ( ULM is going to a much tougher out than people expected beginning of the year ) we will be hovering in the 25-30 range by the time Ole Miss game hits. Even with 2 losses, if Louisiana and Army keep rolling we can be ranked before bowl season.
I agree with both of your points. If we still had Anthony Butler, we would've better stopped Tucker and held Cuse to at least 1 less TD. As far as rankings go, with many of the traditionally good teams struggling this year and the seemingly improvement of others, like Cuse, we could be back knocking on the door of the Top 25 by the Ole Miss game.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: October 1st, 2021, 1:07 pm
No ranking in AP.
#39 in Coaches Poll.

If Ole miss ends up being a top 10 team and if we can take them to OT and win the rest of our games with "style points" then we have a chance but a lot of things have to go our way.
LUOrange liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
After week #5 ranking...
AP - no ranking
Coaches Poll - #37

No top tier opponents scheduled over next 4 weeks until we get to Oxford, MS on November 6th.
Expect not to be ranked between now and then.
By rtb72
Geraldos Mustache wrote: October 4th, 2021, 4:18 pm After week #5 ranking...
AP - no ranking
Coaches Poll - #37

No top tier opponents scheduled over next 4 weeks until we get to Oxford, MS on November 6th.
As long as we keep winning, it might be okay not to be ranked yet. This is a year when ranked teams are falling like flies every weekend. I've never seen anything like it.
By tyndal23
Coastal is taking full advantage of their spotlight. QB is legit, D is Legit, Coaching is legit. As much as I don’t really care for them, hard to root against them - in my mind the more the G5 teams blur the line of P5 vs G5 the better it is for LU. ( remember branding and polling go hand in hand ) So just for our future games with them and App St - the higher they climb the better simply because it helps the following year or two with preseason rankings. Jealous it isn’t LU,. But we lost and they didn’t vs bad P5 and they are riding the wave. Buffalo close game didn’t hurt then at all.
By Ill flame
We moved up 8 more spots to 44 in FPI. This is the first time we've ever been higher ranked than BYU (48) using that metric. For context we finished last season ranked 76.
Baybird liked this
By willflop
I can't remember how many spots it was, it was a lot, but we moved up to 35th in Sagarin after beating UAB. After MT, we moved up to 32nd with a rating of 78. That has us above BYU and a lot of other big names. This is by far the best rating we've ever had. It's the average rating of the BIG 12 and above average in the SEC east. The style points we are getting because of our defense is going a long way in the computer models. I also think the point spread against UAB is a big factor, as they have a strong sos for a cusa team because of their loss to UGA.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: October 7th, 2021, 11:38 pm Coastal is taking full advantage of their spotlight. QB is legit, D is Legit, Coaching is legit. As much as I don’t really care for them, hard to root against them - in my mind the more the G5 teams blur the line of P5 vs G5 the better it is for LU. ( remember branding and polling go hand in hand ) So just for our future games with them and App St - the higher they climb the better simply because it helps the following year or two with preseason rankings. Jealous it isn’t LU,. But we lost and they didn’t vs bad P5 and they are riding the wave. Buffalo close game didn’t hurt then at all.

Coastal has probably played the easiest schedule of any FBS school in America.
JCS Flames Fan 31 liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: October 4th, 2021, 4:18 pm After week #5 ranking...
AP - no ranking
Coaches Poll - #37

I think most of us figured that out after the loss to Syracuse.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]