Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
Should be between 15 and 20 this week but we are gaining some respect nationally so things could get better.
DEFINITELY THE BEST TEAM IN VIRGINIA!

Secret impossible dream is for us to meet Penn State somewhere this bowl season so I can shut up my locally blinded perception of having a great team. Sometimes they say careful for what you wish for but I would love to see that 17 to 14 game.
Liberty22 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’d love to see that, too. Impossible for me to see a path to a better bowl without conference affiliation and bowl tie-in’s. Still feels like this year is just teeing up next year.
By Ill flame
We moved up 4 spots to #19 in the AP and coaches poll. Our SOR is #18 so that seems about right. I'm anxious to see where we end up in the cfp ranking.
By Ill flame

At the moment we are tied for 6th in the country for longest win streak. Now that the hardest part of our schedule is behind us, it wouldn't be unreasonable for us to finish the season 2nd behind who ever wins the natty.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Could their justification be that as an FBS independent we are not eligible for the playoff?
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote: November 8th, 2022, 8:17 pm Could their justification be that as an FBS independent we are not eligible for the playoff?
Notre Dame is Indy, they had no issue over ranking them. Plus independents are eligible for the playoff.
By willflop
Or BYU, pretty sure they have been ranked the previous two years at least. Either extreme bias or the Akron and GW wins are really hurting us. Gw especially. Tulane's margin of victory in its wins just isn't impressive either, though.
Kricket liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: November 8th, 2022, 8:26 pm
ALAFlamesFan wrote: November 8th, 2022, 8:17 pm Could their justification be that as an FBS independent we are not eligible for the playoff?
Notre Dame is Indy, they had no issue over ranking them. Plus independents are eligible for the playoff.
ND has special provisions written in to the Playoffs. Plus they are affiliated with the ACC schedule wise. ND is just a different animal
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 8th, 2022, 8:38 pm
ND has special provisions written in to the Playoffs. Plus they are affiliated with the ACC schedule wise. ND is just a different animal
That has nothing to do with us not being ranked.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: November 8th, 2022, 8:39 pm
Whether ND is ranked has nothing to do with LU being ranked either. Yet you brought them up I’m pointing out they play by a different set of rules
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 8th, 2022, 8:41 pm
Kricket wrote: November 8th, 2022, 8:39 pm

Whether ND is ranked has nothing to do with LU being ranked either. Yet you brought them up I’m pointing out they play by a different set of rules
Oh ok, I get your point.
Purple Haize liked this
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
These guys are AD'S of P5 schools that refuse to schedule us and then turn around and say we don't play enough P5's. Stop...
Kricket, Liberty22, Ill flame and 1 others liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote: November 8th, 2022, 9:35 pm These guys are AD'S of P5 schools that refuse to schedule us and then turn around and say we don't play enough P5's. Stop...
Yeah, it's garbage. And it's not going to get easier to schedule P5s going forward.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... team-field

We made the list of teams that should be angry. The most interesting part of the article is the end that shows Tulane would be in the 12 team playoff.

A few years from now, we legitimately will have a shot at the playoffs due to the expansion of the playoffs and us being in C-USA. We may need a lot of luck but it's possible!

I hate the weak conference, but I don't think we have a better option at this point.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: November 8th, 2022, 10:04 pm https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... team-field

We made the list of teams that should be angry. The most interesting part of the article is the end that shows Tulane would be in the 12 team playoff.

A few years from now, we legitimately will have a shot at the playoffs due to the expansion of the playoffs and us being in C-USA. We may need a lot of luck but it's possible!

I hate the weak conference, but I don't think we have a better option at this point.
CUSA should make it easier for sure. Look at Tulane. They lost to a team we beat and their schedule sucks. They are in 12th... We will just have to dominate the conference.
Ill flame liked this
By AATL
The lack of ballots or explanations from the CFP makes this feel arbitrary, especially considering Tulane at 17. It's great to see Tulane up so high and they've had a great year; this isn't a dig on them. I'm still not sure how you can look at these two resumes and decide that they're 9+ (17 vs. NR) spots apart. The two are pretty similarly situated in SOR and aren't egregiously dissimilar in SOS. Tulane probably gets the edge in average quality of opponent, but I'd argue that Liberty has better wins at the top of their resume. There's even a common opponent - Southern Miss - who beat Tulane and took Liberty to more OT than I'd care to remember.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
While Tulane is the highest-ranked Group of Five team, don't dismiss Liberty pushing for an at-large berth as an independent. The Flames moved to 8-1 have a legitimate chance of finishing around the top 12, which would be needed to secure a New Year's Six bid in Liberty's case. The Flames improved their resume by beating Arkansas on Saturday. UConn, Virginia Tech and New Mexico State remain. If they win out, that would make them 11-1 with two Power Five wins.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -top-four/
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Wake isn’t doing us any favors. We don’t need to just beta VT. We need to demolish them.

(Which is more than possible since they’re literally the worst football team in all of Virginia.)
By LUDad
If LU takes care of business and Arkansas spanks LSU a week after they beat bama, we will be a lot more attractive.
By willflop
It felt like a snub, but the more I think about it, it is what it is. We know the AP poll isn't really about the best 25 teams. It's partially that, but also partially popularity contest and (heavily) just the win/loss record (like an elimination bracket), all subjectively computed by sports writers. How these factors are weighted explains why a JMU can slip in, without really proving anything, and then slip right back out with a single loss. And, it's also why we got in despite other score based metrics that rank us much lower. The fact is, just looking at Sagarin, we are the 65th ranked team and both UCF and Tulane are well ahead of us there. Other 20-25 teams like Texas and Washington, etc., are also well ahead of us.

If AP voters tend to weight point margins/SoS/metrics 50% and win/loss record 50% (just a hypothetical), the CFP probably does it closer to 25/75%. Neither UCF or Tulane's schedules looks way better than LU, but we are leagues behind them in computer metrics, so it adds up. These voters most likely know little about Liberty nor are they actually watching our games (and in some cases, that could be a good thing). They are probably using metrics to fill in a lot of gaps when debating ranks 15 to 25. If you are going to play a 110th+ ranked SoS, you can't have tight games and get respect in the computer models, which is burning us. Just my opinion.
By LUOrange
Not being ranked by the CFP was an obvious snub. Most of them don't like us and probably never will for several reasons. Their snubbery is clear evidence that joining CUSA was necessary, but it's also evidence that we should be trying to schedule at least 1-2 P5's in non-conf every year.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

As for number of scholarship, baseball and softbal[…]

Volleyball Coach

Former player and assistant coach Rebecca Rudnick […]

Election 2022 and 2024

Unless Trump is suddenly a NY resident again, […]

CUSA Tournament Las Cruces, NM

No team should get a bye. Not fair. Everyone sho[…]