Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Geraldos Mustache
Week #1 - I don't get it.
Why is Coastal Carolina beginning the season ranked #22 by the AP and Liberty is unranked (votes have LU at #29)?
Coaches Poll has Coastal at #24 and Liberty unranked (votes have LU at #30).

I'm OK with Liberty coming in at #29-30 because it's early, but why is Coastal ranked 6-7 slots higher? I don't get it.

Will be fun to chart Liberty rankings throughout the season.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Many pollsters have problems with integrity, and many probably don't take as much time as they should when voting. Heck, some probably turn in same ballot every week.
LUOrange liked this
By LoneStar
I had the exact same question at the end of the last season. The Beach Chickens ducked the conference championship game and then got beat in the Cure Bowl. With LU's P5 games, LU should have finished higher in the rankings than the Chickens.

This season, LU returns 20 of 22 starters with only a LB and TE gone. The Chickens lost at least 1 stud player--the dirty DE--but somehow they are ranked higher than the team that beat them in a bowl game. But that's to be expected from the poll voters, who aren't known for their in-depth analysis of their votes.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
LoneStar wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 8:52 pm I had the exact same question at the end of the last season. The Beach Chickens ducked the conference championship game and then got beat in the Cure Bowl. With LU's P5 games, LU should have finished higher in the rankings than the Chickens.

This season, LU returns 20 of 22 starters with only a LB and TE gone. The Chickens lost at least 1 stud player--the dirty DE--but somehow they are ranked higher than the team that beat them in a bowl game. But that's to be expected from the poll voters, who aren't known for their in-depth analysis of their votes.
We lost a WR not TE. 94 for Coastal is back ( if that is the dirty one u are referring to - BYU fans loathe him ). Marty & McGee have a lot of friends and everyone knows Coastal is their team and even subconsciously that seeps in when voting. LU doing fine, we are getting plenty of love and buzz and frankly only Cinci should be ranked early out of all G5.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 4th, 2021, 10:37 am Ranking UNC 10th, proves voters have integrity issues, and lack of football knowledge.
Right, because we all know that anyone who disagrees with ballcoach about anything is an ignorant scumbag.

BTW, Mr. Tech fan. Did it occur to you that maybe the Hokies are actually pretty good?
thesportscritic liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Both teams looked shaky to me over the course of the game. VT just got a lead early, and held on. Overrated UNC QB helped. UNC played like a talented team listening to too much of its own hype.
By LUDad
VT, CCU, & NCS all looked good in first games. Bodes well for us since we are a lot deeper this year
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 5th, 2021, 6:00 am Miami, Washington, LSU, Louisana, Indiana , UNC. All were grossly over ranked.
While that may be accurate, at least in some cases (although "grossly" is a bit hyperbolic) it doesn't exactly take a genius to wait til the games have been played, look at the scoreboard and see who "under performed" based on their ranking, and then say they were "over ranked".

BTW, you left out Wisconsin

That was a lot of top 25 losses, and it will be interesting to see where we land this week. I don't think beating Campbell (even by 41) helps much, but there are certainly some other teams who showed they may not belong.
ballcoach15, badger74 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The only team I see dropping off is Washington. Louisiana probably will too, but they’ll probably still be higher than us.

@ballcoach15 , you should add Iowa State to your list. Them and UNC should have been the obvious top 10 teams that didn’t belong.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
You could argue that 3 of the worst performances from top 25 teams came in wins; Oregon, Iowa State and Oklahoma. All struggled to beat unranked opponents. None were as bad as Washington's loss though. The list of ranked teams who have lost to an FCS opponent is a short one.
ballcoach15 liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 5th, 2021, 6:00 am Miami, Washington, LSU, Louisana, Indiana , UNC. All were grossly over ranked.
You forgot Clemson. The love pollsters shows to the ACC, makes polls almost irrelevant
olldflame liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
You can be very good and still be over rated. It is also possible to be highly ranked and still be under rated. See yesterday's Clemson/Georgia game. Clemson has obviously taken a huge loss on offense, but I suspect their defense is still good enough to carry them through the ACC. I do think their run of FBS playoff appearances may be in jeopardy.
alabama24 liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
When you only have one game to judge, it makes evaluations and comparisons challenging. I watched the Georgia/Clemson game nearly from start to finish. Georgia played better on both sides of the ball for the entire game... but it never felt clear that they were going to win until the end of the game. Both teams likely saw their best defense they will see during the regular season. Neither could do much against the other. Does that mean that the Defenses are just that good, or will this portend offensive weaknesses from both teams?

Clemson has an easier route to run the table through the rest of the season. Georgia has a better path to the playoffs.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Who would you replace them with?
By Ill flame
badger74 wrote: September 7th, 2021, 6:35 pm The fact that Wisconsin is still ranked is illuminating. No QB, no WRs, no DBs, no kicker, poor OL. Worst UW team in years.
Penn St is a legit team and the badgers defense is one of the best in the country. I'm sure they'll win the west again. Northwestern and Iowa is down, Minnesota and Purdue are solid but won't win it, Nebraska and Illinois suck although are capable of causing some chaos. I just don't see anyone else winning it.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]