Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Geraldos Mustache
Rankings after Week #1...
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/ap/

Liberty still at #30, which is understandable. Can't imagine Liberty will make any significant moves into the Top 25 until we get a quality win under our belt. Until then, margin of victory and posting eye-popping stats is important IMO.

Perhaps after week 4 if we defeat Syracuse and have a 4-0 record we can crack the Top 25.

UNC dropped 14 spots from #10 to #24. Tarheel fans have got to be disappointed about that!
UCLA goes up 26 spots to #16. Yikes! That seems like an awfully quick rise to me.
Iowa up 8 spots. Is Iowa really the 10th best team in the country? Meh...
Glad to see Clemson drop 3 spots to #6. That's fair.

Coastal Carolina goes up 5 spots for putting a beat down on The Citadel. The Beach Chickens are now ranked #17. What a joke. A 5 spot move for beating one of the worst football teams? Really? Do the pollsters really believe Coastal is better than Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Utah, Miami, Auburn? Really?

According to the FB Schedules website, Coastal has the 3rd easiest schedule in FBS. Their strength of schedule is ranked #128. See here... https://fbschedules.com/the-easiest-and ... e-in-2021/
By cruzan_flame13
Geraldos Mustache wrote: September 9th, 2021, 11:04 pm Rankings after Week #1...

Liberty still at #30, which is understandable. Can't imagine Liberty will make any significant moves into the Top 25 until we get a quality win under our belt. Until then, margin of victory and posting eye-popping stats is important IMO.

Perhaps after week 4 if we defeat Syracuse and have a 4-0 record we can crack the Top 25.

UNC dropped 14 spots from #10 to #24. Tarheel fans have got to be disappointed about that!
UCLA goes up 26 spots to #16. Yikes! That seems like an awfully quick rise to me.

Coastal Carolina goes up 5 spots for putting a beat down on The Citadel. The Beach Chickens are now ranked #17. What a joke. A 5 spot move for beating one of the worst football teams? Really? Do the pollsters really believe Coastal is better than Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Utah, Miami, Auburn? Really?

According to the FB Schedules website, Coastal has the 3rd easiest schedule in FBS. Their strength of schedule is ranked #128. See here... https://fbschedules.com/the-easiest-and ... e-in-2021/
When has college football ever made sense? Remember Coastal is still promoted as America's Cinderella remember. Our country sure love a lot of fantasy that they don't really see the difference from reality :lol:. UCLA is a loved child for particular reasons..*cough* elite connections *cough* *cough* :lol: 8) .
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 9th, 2021, 11:21 pm
Geraldos Mustache wrote: September 9th, 2021, 11:04 pm Rankings after Week #1...

When has college football ever made sense? Remember Coastal is still promoted as America's Cinderella remember. Our country sure love a lot of fantasy that they don't really see the difference from reality :lol:. UCLA is a loved child for particular reasons..*cough* elite connections *cough* *cough* :lol: 8) .
No conspiracy necessary. UCLA hasn't been ranked for several seasons because they haven't been good but appear to have a good QB and running back and beat a highly ranked team. Define "elite". USC is a much more "rich kid" private university with "elite" legacy connections.
By cruzan_flame13
Just John wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:29 am

No conspiracy necessary. UCLA hasn't been ranked for several seasons because they haven't been good but appear to have a good QB and running back and beat a highly ranked team. Define "elite". USC is a much more "rich kid" private university with "elite" legacy connections.
"Define Elite:"

It's more deeper than a rich kid persona when it comes to what I'm talking about.

Back to the rankings topic. Let's wait and see how things play out by week 3-4.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Pollsters have very little integrity, when casting their ballots. Most of them probably don't take necessary time to evaluate all the teams.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 8:16 am Pollsters have very little integrity, when casting their ballots. Most of them probably don't take necessary time to evaluate all the teams.
You are very fast and loose about telling people they lack "integrity". In most cases it seems the only reason is they have a different opinion about something than you do. For the record, the people you are talking about are not "pollsters", they are VOTERS. "Pollsters" would refer to businesses or organizations that conduct polls (Gallup, for example, or Rasmussen.) Almost all voters in these polls have very demanding, time consuming jobs, like coaching a team or meeting deadlines for publication. I see no reason why I should judge them on how much or how little time they spend researching how they will vote. A lot of the high profile coaches spend ZERO time on it. They delegate it to a staffer. Pretty sure Saban is on record as doing just that.
Last edited by olldflame on September 10th, 2021, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
flamehunter liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 8:16 am Pollsters have very little integrity, when casting their ballots. Most of them probably don't take necessary time to evaluate all the teams.
Need to look no further than who is always ranked #1 to realize there's some crooked stuff going on for sure. Stinkin' Tide.
:lol:
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:29 am
Just John wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:29 am

It's more deeper than a rich kid persona when it comes to what I'm talking about.

We can all legitimately complain about rankings but I have sincere doubts coaches or sports writers give a rip or even know about some 60 or 70 year old conspiracy theory to bolster one school over another. :lol:
By cruzan_flame13
Just John wrote: September 10th, 2021, 7:51 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 1:29 am
Just John wrote: September 10th, 2021, 12:29 am No conspiracy necessary. UCLA hasn't been ranked for several seasons because they haven't been good but appear to have a good QB and running back and beat a highly ranked team. Define "elite". USC is a much more "rich kid" private university with "elite" legacy connections.

We can all legitimately complain about rankings but I have sincere doubts coaches or sports writers give a rip or even know about some 60 or 70 year old conspiracy theory to bolster one school over another. :lol:
Firstly, how much free will do you think these sports writers have? Secondly, you can call it what ever you want, but reality doesn't hinder from weaponized terms.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Why do we even care about or follow the ratings then?

I'm not sure I'd get out of bed if I believed everything in life was a conspiracy.
By cruzan_flame13
Just John wrote: September 10th, 2021, 8:25 pm Why do we even care about or follow the ratings then?

I'm not sure I'd get out of bed if I believed everything in life was a conspiracy.
Why would you? I didn't even stated that on my end. One thing for sure is that you cannot claim that it doesn't happen, especially on subjects/fields that you don't want to believe it to occur. In that case it doesn't matter if you believe it or not. The truth will still remain the same if one ignores it or not and that's a choice. Remember this is a wicked world and we should realize that we are foreigners here. I can still recognize and gain knowledge about things and still be able to wake up because of hope in Christ return. Calling conspiracy theory on a subject (especially when the person doesn't emit any evidence to withdraw the propsed claim) does not evade the problem (seen or unseen).
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
"Whenever you're faced with an explanation of what's going on in Washington, the choice between incompetence and conspiracy, always choose incompetence".

Charles Krauthammer

To paraphrase the wise Dr. Kruathammer, "Whenever you are faced with an explanation of what is going on in College Football rankings, the choice between incompetence and conspiracy, always choose incompetence.

Over and out.
By cruzan_flame13
You do that.

"The most dangerous irony is, people are angry with others because of their own incompetence."

-Amit Kalantri (Mentalist, Mind Reader, Magician, Writer)

See? I could use quotes of people who may look good on paper to a faulty society :lol:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Cruzan, I’m with you for awhile sometimes but boy you suck the fun out of threads. A thread about worthless polls?

Every single HC voter delegates this. That’s how I got to be a voter for years.

You guys complaining even watch the games. UCLA is good. And they beat an SEC power.

What is true is that it takes about 4-5 weeks for these pills to balance out. Too much historicity carrying weight until then.
By Geraldos Mustache
Rankings after week #2...
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... s-ranking/

Liberty comes in at #28
Coastal improves one slot to #16. Absolute nonsense. How does one rationalize an improvement in ranking with a home win over the #119th ranked team in the nation? It doesn't.

Syracuse is ranked #81 so Liberty better win by a convincing margin if we hope to make any big ranking moves.

Oregon #3. Really? A 13 slot improvement from #16 to #3? I am always skeptical with massive increases in the rankings. Impressive win vs. Ohio State at the Shoe, but #3 is a bridge too far.

Notre Dame drops 2 slots to #13. This pleases me greatly. It's a personal bias against ND.

BYU breaks into the Top 25 and #22. Good for them. Nice win over Utah. But up 17 positions in the rankings? That's a lot!

Utah gets banished from the Top 25, down 12 slots and finds a new home at #31. Yikes, Utes!
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 14th, 2021, 2:36 pm After only 2 games, I see the "Drive-by Media" has already penciled Iowa and Oregon into the playoffs.
Easy to stand on the sidelines and take pot shots. Who would you have in their place? Go ahead, tell us. It will be archived here for posterity, and we can see how much of a Nostradamus you are when the season is over.

All of these guys know very well that there is way to much water yet to pass under the bridge for these picks to be much more than guesses, but the reality is they are obligated to make them, so they go with what they have.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: September 14th, 2021, 5:43 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 14th, 2021, 2:36 pm After only 2 games, I see the "Drive-by Media" has already penciled Iowa and Oregon into the playoffs.
Easy to stand on the sidelines and take pot shots. Who would you have in their place? Go ahead, tell us. It will be archived here for posterity, and we can see how much of a Nostradamus you are when the season is over.

All of these guys know very well that there is way to much water yet to pass under the bridge for these picks to be much more than guesses, but the reality is they are obligated to make them, so they go with what they have.
He’s only comfortable criticizing not providing solutions.
You know 2 things. He will always criticize without a solution. And he will never think anything past the first degree
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]