Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Campbell University
Campbell, North Carolina

Campbell Official Site

Mike Minter
9th Season as CU Head Coach after 1 Season as LU Assistant

2020 Season Results

SEP 12 - @ GEORGIA SOUTHERN .......................... L 26-27
SEP 18 - @ COASTAL CAROLINA ........................... L 21-43
SEP 26 - @ APP STATE .......................................... L 21-52
OCT 02 - @ WAKE FOREST .................................... L 14-66

2021 Schedule

SEP 04 - @ LIBERTY
SEP 11 - ELON
SEP 18 - PRESBYTERIAN
OCT 02 - @ NORTH ALABAMA*
OCT 09 - @ GARDNER-WEBB*
OCT 16 - MONMOUTH*
OCT 23 - KENNESAW STATE*
OCT 30 - @ CHARLESTON SOUTHERN*
NOV 06 - @ JMU
NOV 13 - HAMPTON*
NOV 20 - @ ROBERT MORRIS*

Key Players

#6 Hajj-Malik Williams
6' 0" 205 lbs Junior Quarterback
Last Season: 53-of-100 (53%) for 662 Yds with 3 TDs & 3 INTs + 53 Carries for 216 Yds & 4 TD Rishes

#5 Jalen Kelsey
6' 2" 180 lbs Junior Receiver
Last Season: 18 Catches for 221 Yds with 1 TD

#7 Darion Slade
6' 0" 200 lbs Senior Defensive Back
Last Season: Team-Leading 38 Tackles
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I love seeing the creativity of the NIL already going into action.

As for the Camels, I recognize we should win this game handily. But if you take a look at what they did a year ago against four quality FBS schools with an FCS roster you have to be impressed. Minter has proven to be quite coach and has really done an amazing job at CU.
tyndal23, thepostman, rtb72 liked this
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote: August 29th, 2021, 4:26 pm I love seeing the creativity of the NIL already going into action.

As for the Camels, I recognize we should win this game handily. But if you take a look at what they did a year ago against four quality FBS schools with an FCS roster you have to be impressed. Minter has proven to be quite coach and has really done an amazing job at CU.
I agree Sly. Our O and D Line better be ready to crack skulls opening drive, this is a legit FCS team with excellent coaching. Can’t be sloppy. I actually like it is our opener and we have extra juice vs buried in the schedule.
Baybird liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
In the two deep just released for Saturday's game. Noah Frith is listed as a starter. I'm thinking that must be a mistake since he is injured and was expected to missed the first two games.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The News&Observer wrote:Campbell football never beat Goliath, but Mike Minter still glad Camels played as David

BY STEVE LYTTLE CORRESPONDENT
AUGUST 31, 2021 11:57 AM

Campbell quarterback Hajj-Malik Williams scores during the first half of an NCAA football game, Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020 at Kidd Brewer Stadium in Boone, N.C. NEWS & OBSERVER FILE PHOTO

Campbell was the “feel-good” story of the 2020 college football season.

Adopting the David-vs.-Goliath role, the FCS Camels decided to play a four-game fall schedule.

And they took on all comers.
Click Here for Full Story
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Johnston County Report wrote:Campbell Football Concludes Preseason With Open Scrimmage

August 29, 2021

BUIES CREEK – Campbell closed out its 2021 preseason with an open scrimmage Saturday evening at Barker-Lane Stadium.

Saturday’s scrimmage marked CU’s 18th preseason practice in preparation for the 2021 season, consisting of a controlled first half, followed by a completely live second frame.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
College Football News wrote:Liberty vs Campbell Prediction, Game Preview

By Pete Fiutak | August 27, 2021 9:39 am CT

What’s Going To Happen

Campbell gave Georgia Southern everything it could handle and had a shot to pull off the win, but that was as close as any of the four games were in 2020. The passing game will have its moments, and it’ll come up with some deep shots in the second half, but Liberty will do whatever it wants offensively.

The Flames will get all the parts of the ground game working early on with a few crisp scoring drives putting this away early. The faster Liberty can get star QB Malik Willis off the field, the better – his day will be done with a quarter to play.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The lowdown from Damien:
NewsAdvance.com wrote:Campbell, with FBS transfers and 20 returning starters, presents 'nervous opener' for Liberty
Damien Sordelett

Mike Minter spent much of the 2017 Big South Conference media days trying to find answers from fellow coaches on how to add scholarships at a judicious pace. He was tasked nine months prior, in November 2016, to help transition Campbell from an FCS non-scholarship program to one that sponsored 63 scholarships.

It was an arduous undertaking. Minter didn’t hear many ideas he liked until he met with Monmouth coach Kevin Callahan, who suggested Minter spread out his scholarships and ensure he could evenly distribute those scholarships over a four-year period so the classes weren’t disproportionate.
By jmclaughlin
Anyone else uneasy about this game? Quick check of their roster and watching some film of their games against GS and Coastal, it is evident that this is a legit football team. They have some transfers from Big Boy programs, mainly on the D side. Their Offense was already good last season and they are all back. Their D was awful but the seemingly plugged some holes in the boat. This will take a good effort on our part.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jmclaughlin wrote: September 1st, 2021, 11:13 am Anyone else uneasy about this game? Quick check of their roster and watching some film of their games against GS and Coastal, it is evident that this is a legit football team. They have some transfers from Big Boy programs, mainly on the D side. Their Offense was already good last season and they are all back. Their D was awful but the seemingly plugged some holes in the boat. This will take a good effort on our part.
Not really. I am glad we are playing them the first game of the year though instead of the middle. I could see it being a trap game later into the season. They are pretty good though, at least on paper. Big O line.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
jmclaughlin wrote: September 1st, 2021, 11:13 am Anyone else uneasy about this game?
Under previous coaching regimes? Yes. Under Freeze? No. The way he spoke about Campbell on the podcast was good, and I expect he plays that up more with the players. :football
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
“The thing I tell my guys is this, it’s going to be a war. They’re going to punch you in the mouth really, really hard, and it’s going to hurt. What you have to do is stay in their face, man. You got to get back up and get right back in their face. So at the end of the day, what they will do is respect you. If you laying down and don’t get up, no one respects that,” said head coach Mike Minter.
PAmedic, LUOrange liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 7:36 am
“The thing I tell my guys is this, it’s going to be a war. They’re going to punch you in the mouth really, really hard, and it’s going to hurt. What you have to do is stay in their face, man. You got to get back up and get right back in their face. So at the end of the day, what they will do is respect you. If you laying down and don’t get up, no one respects that,” said head coach Mike Minter.
Really enjoyed his interview. Seems like a great guy and a realist.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 9:06 pm
TH Spangler wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 7:36 am
Really enjoyed his interview. Seems like a great guy and a realist.
This will be the only game I don't pull for Mike Minter. Great guy.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?!

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: