Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 11:10 am PAC 12 teams don't belong in playoffs. Every season there are 4 or 5 SEC teams better than anything the PAC 12 has to offer.
By that reasoning there are several conferences that should never be represented in the NCAA basketball tournament.
ballcoach15 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
tyndal23 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 11:06 am I disagree. 12 teams mean more $ and opportunity for everyone. The pushback will be Non SEC Conferences trying to limit how many teams from 1 conference (SEC) are allowed in playoff and that may be what triggers the breakaway Super League. If Conference Commissioners try and force the SEC in to something that doesn’t make sense, they will in effect be committing Conference suicide - SEC just says hey we are taking our top teams and inviting your best teams to the Amazon Prime Football League, rest of you can hang out in the NCAA and do what you want. Better odds that SEC will beat each other up and only get 2-3 vs 4 most years. Regardless, Still guaranteed a PAC 12 team is in and better chance of 2 getting in vs getting completely left out like they have been. Also, reversing course and freezing out G5 brings in lawsuits,Congress and a Commissioner. NCAA thin ( agreement ) to self regulate is very weak right now and Congress chomping at the bit to regulate and require 30% of your team be gender neutral, no white male refs or coaches, no displays of toxic masculinity during the game, no animal mascots or nicknames,booster shots weekly and all $ proceeds distributed equally among all colleges regardless if they have a football team ( unless they are private and religious institutions - they get nothing ).
Unfortunately, this doesn't sound too absurd. College football is truly about to be ruined in the coming years with the way the society is heading. Orwell is rolling in his grave and Huxley is gitty.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:19 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 11:10 am PAC 12 teams don't belong in playoffs. Every season there are 4 or 5 SEC teams better than anything the PAC 12 has to offer.
Do yourself a favor, stick to softball.
I am trying to do that, but it will take some time.
LUOrange liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
The more money argument is worthless. Which is better? To be one team of 4 splitting a million dollars or one team of 12 splitting 2 million dollars. “But, but, but… more money!”
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:34 pm The more money argument is worthless. Which is better? To be one team of 4 splitting a million dollars or one team of 12 splitting 2 million dollars. “But, but, but… more money!”
So if you're not named Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State or whoever #4 is, you'd be much better off with a chance at 1/12th of 2 million than no chance at 1/4th of 1 million. Right?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:46 pm So if you're not named Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State or whoever #4 is, you'd be much better off with a chance at 1/12th of 2 million than no chance at 1/4th of 1 million. Right?
That isn't the point. The point is what the four think, not what the other 8 think.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
To restate what I wrote earlier: Does Texas and Oklahoma moving to the SEC make a 12 team playoff MORE or LESS likely than before? If you think MORE, you are crazy. (I am not saying it won't happen, just saying that the momentum is less strong than it was prior to the move).
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
I think people are overestimating how much power the new SEC is going to have. The big ten will still rival them in terms of money and influence. Also tv executives won't want to leave out entire regions of the country (west coast) and go all in on the southeast. If it makes sense for everyone involved except the 16 teams in the SEC, the playoffs will expand. The SEC can attempt to create a super league if they want but that's probably wouldn't be worth the incredible risk it would take to pull that off.
By tyndal23
alabama24 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:34 pm The more money argument is worthless. Which is better? To be one team of 4 splitting a million dollars or one team of 12 splitting 2 million dollars. “But, but, but… more money!”
That isn’t how the payouts work and do you really think 12 team would have been proposed and pushed if it didn’t make everyone more $ ? Bowl game revenue was lagging and NY6 becoming irrelevant, November games also lagging for for 95 % of teams out of playoff race for top 4.
flamehunter liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:59 pm
flamehunter wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:46 pm So if you're not named Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State or whoever #4 is, you'd be much better off with a chance at 1/12th of 2 million than no chance at 1/4th of 1 million. Right?
That isn't the point. The point is what the four think, not what the other 8 think.
I see, so 4 teams rule all. That's a sorry picture.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The playoffs need a better "Selection Committee". Odds are good that 2 of the 3 teams listed below, have already been selected to play Alabama and Clemson in playoffs this season.

Ohio State, Notre Dame or Oklahoma.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 3:27 pm The playoffs need a better "Selection Committee". Odds are good that 2 of the 3 teams listed below, have already been selected to play Alabama and Clemson in playoffs this season.

Ohio State, Notre Dame or Oklahoma.
Chances are you have already selected Alabama and Clemson. :lol:
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: August 20th, 2021, 3:07 pm
I was not a fan of going to 4, but it has been fun. It has also been good for Alabama.

However: College Football postseason should not become the lame excuse for a championship that college basketball is. And that is exactly where many of you want to take it.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: August 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm I think people are overestimating how much power the new SEC is going to have. The big ten will still rival them in terms of money and influence.
I don’t think I’m overestimating the SEC.

Change is happening and where things land is really up in the air. This partnership between the ACC, B10, P12 is really a joke unless it is much more than agreements to play one another.

Trust me on this: If Clemson bolted the ACC, it would fall as quickly as the B12. Perhaps the best solution is to separate Football from the rest of the conference structure altogether.

And Saban is right: the continued push towards turning college football into the NFL lite will be awful for other, non revenue sports (golf, tennis, etc.)
By tyndal23
alabama24 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 5:20 pm
flamehunter wrote: August 20th, 2021, 3:07 pm
I was not a fan of going to 4, but it has been fun. It has also been good for Alabama.

However: College Football postseason should not become the lame excuse for a championship that college basketball is. And that is exactly where many of you want to take it.
The top people everywhere after seeing late season ratings, bowl opt outs and $ being left on the table. Even Bama has to like a 2nd chance built in. I can count on one hand the pundits, coaches and commissioners who publicly don’t like expanding to 12 and frankly the most positive well received announcement in CFB I can ever remember.
By LUOrange
alabama24 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 5:27 pm
Ill flame wrote: August 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm I think people are overestimating how much power the new SEC is going to have. The big ten will still rival them in terms of money and influence.

Change is happening and where things land is really up in the air. This partnership between the ACC, B10, P12 is really a joke unless it is much more than agreements to play one another.

Trust me on this: If Clemson bolted the ACC, it would fall as quickly as the B12. Perhaps the best solution is to separate Football from the rest of the conference structure altogether.

And Saban is right: the continued push towards turning college football into the NFL lite will be awful for other, non revenue sports (golf, tennis, etc.)
FCOA and NIL are turning CFB into NFL Lite, not a playoff system. Hopefully, the NCAA constitutional convention will set forth a clear and fair uniform policy on FCOA and NIL that will save much of the tradition and amateurism of CFB.

But if high schools, junior colleges, 3 of the NCAA's divisions, and the NFL can survive with a playoff system. Surely FBS P-5 football can too.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: August 20th, 2021, 10:30 pm
alabama24 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 5:27 pm

FCOA and NIL are turning CFB into NFL Lite, not a playoff system. Hopefully, the NCAA constitutional convention will set forth a clear and fair uniform policy on FCOA and NIL that will save much of the tradition and amateurism of CFB.

But if high schools, junior colleges, 3 of the NCAA's divisions, and the NFL can survive with a playoff system. Surely FBS P-5 football can too.
I agree NIL will create the eventual cataclysm between top fan based schools and everyone else and maybe as soon as 5-8 years it will pave way for super league, but this next stop of 12 team playoff and realignment could be very equitable for all if they don’t screw it up. Too many changes happening all at once. I think if the 12 team playoff had been finalized it would have calmed things down some but with it up in the air and conferences playing politics, might be a mess and unravel CFB sooner rather than later.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 16th, 2021, 9:28 am
ballcoach15 wrote: August 16th, 2021, 8:49 am I just hope the team doesn't spend too much time, reading the "Watch Lists"
No reason to pretend they aren't there. Reading them takes a few seconds. Then you say "Oh, that's cool" and go on about your business. All indications are that is exactly how Malik and Durrell are handling this.
Now that regular season is over, my thoughts drifted back to the post I made August 16th.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I'm not entirely sure I understand your point. With the exception of ULM we lost to teams better than us.
Baybird liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]