Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

LUOrange wrote: July 9th, 2021, 8:54 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 9th, 2021, 8:22 pm Does anyone have links to the domestic battery story?
https://www.redandblack.com/sports/jere ... 580e6.html
See? This is where stuff like this gets murky:

Holloman’s written statement describes the context of the punch. Holloman said he laughed at a comment, and the victim started to hit him in the face and upper body. He then threw a punch with his right hand while pushing her off with the left.
By LUOrange
There was definitely half-truths told by him and his ex-gf. But the doctor's report cited in the article suggests that he did more than he admitted to. That said, I'm conflicted about him. Part of me doesn't want a domestic abuser on our team. But the other part of me says that he's paid his dues and is entitled to the benefit of the doubt that he's a better man who should be allowed to finish his redemptive journey. Another way to consider this is: would we allow a non-athlete with this incident in their past to attend Liberty? With the flip side being, are we only considering him because he's an excellent athlete? Defnitely murky.
I'm a fan of placing people in charge of addressing their weakness as an example for others. If you think he can be a fit, place him in charge of regular teaching on domestic abuse awareness. It doesn't have to be public outside the team, but it can train accountability to our sins in a productive way without permanent soceital implications.
spencers777 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: July 9th, 2021, 10:35 pm I'm a fan of placing people in charge of addressing their weakness as an example for others. If you think he can be a fit, place him in charge of regular teaching on domestic abuse awareness. It doesn't have to be public outside the team, but it can train accountability to our sins in a productive way without permanent soceital implications.
It’s a great idea. Not sure you can make such a thing a requirement of someone. They have to come to that when they’re ready.
By CCWMichael
Salter will bring smoke though :lol: :lol: :lol:
Definitely enough time for him to sit and see who he wants to be.
Only my eyes will give confidence.
My head even while forcing grace at is always questioning. Until I SEE a difference.

Holloman will bring some punch :lol: :lol:
Smoking blunts is a hang of a ton more acceptable currently that physical assaults on women.
Was not too long ago ganja was bad and abuse was covered up.
This would be more of a spotlight reclamation project. Making it much tougher from a coaching and image perspective.
He will have many more challenges being accepted anywhere than Salter will.
If we take him I won't be completely sold until he graduates it was a good choice.
Of course, any harassment issues ever pop up during or after his time here could only muddy waters.
I would steer clear but I do not know the kid whatsoever.

My favorite baseball team had a know beater for a while. Disliked him, thank goodness he is gone, but still loved the team. Questioned their choices but still loved them.
Favorite teams are like kids. No matter what you still love em.
Baybird, LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Good stuff. Keep building. Three solid guys now. The key is to not overcommit. Also, Kent Austin is underrated. And, of course we have Hugh Freeze.

It's all obviously TBD...so we'll see.
By jmclaughlin
Couple of things:
1. This is a great boost from the marketing side of college football. Bringing in a blue chip with 4 years of eligibility is cool from a fans perspective
However...2. I was on the Cedar Hill sideline for one of Kaidon's games last year and was not impressed. From a pure football side of things, I was shocked that he was valued as a top 15 QB in the country and more so to see his offer list. He consistently held the ball too long and rarely executed the play as called. Used his legs to dance in and out of pocket and relied on his receivers to improvise with him to play pitch and catch (His highlight videos show the same). He struggled with the management of the game and in both halves, cost his team time and yards with very little awareness of the clock. His team was clearly more physically gifted than their opponent and yet he struggled to move the ball consistently, especially in the air. Threw 2 terrible pics that were a result of delayed decision making. Granted, this was one game and I am in no way credentialed as a scout evaluator but I also know talent when I see it.
3. Off the ball behavior was were I was really unimpressed. In short, his attitude was terrible. Not one time did he come to the sideline and fire up his troops. Rather, he would remove his helmet before reaching the sideline so that everyone could see him voice his displeasure with a coach or player(s). Others on the sideline would have to pick him up while he sulked. I am on a sideline most Friday nights in Texas and it stood out as one of the most self centered attitudes I witnessed all year. In fact, the 3 others with me said the same. The coaches seemed to cater to his behavior which led to a really undisciplined sideline as a whole.
4. I hope I am 100% wrong on this kid. He is after all, just a kid. My hope is that he has had a wake up call and will begin to mature around a great program and staff that will instill discipline. I trust the eyes of scout evaluators that all put their reputations on the line to offer him more than mine.
5. However (2), that is not my gut. To go to your "dream school" and not even make it to fall practices because you put yourself above the team with selfish acts is no small thing to overcome. This is the type of kid that can wreck a locker room if he hasn't had a dynamic attitude shift.

Liberty should be a school built on second chances. HCHF is the perfect guy to lead the program of Kaidon Salters and I default my judgement to those who have heard Kaidon's story and heart.

Just my 2 cents and I hope that I am wrong on this one.

Light 'em Up!
LU 57, Baybird, CCWMichael and 2 others liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Just my guess, but I don't suspect HF is going to put up with any :BS . He doesn't have to, nor do we anymore. Each day we are growing as a place where we can be much more selective and as a place good Christian athletes will consider coming to play. Love our coaching staff in almost every sport. Ian has done a great job.
Baybird, jmclaughlin, LUOrange and 3 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I have some serious concerns about brining him in but regardless of those feelings and regardless if he was here or not, I hope he can get it figured out.

HF knows a thing or two about picking yourself up and surrendering to God and coming out on the other side a better person. So if anybody can help the kid, HF can.
jmclaughlin, LUOrange, CCWMichael and 3 others liked this
By LUOrange
I don't doubt any of what McLaughlin said about Salter. The problem with many pro and highly rated athletes is that they were pampered way too much for too long. So far, HCHF has proven that everyone has to earn their PT. So as of right now, this kid will have to battle 3 other talented 3 star QB's in Bennett, Brown & Hampton- all of whom wanted to come here vs having unfortunate circumstances that led them here. So attitude and effort will be the biggest attribute over talent. I'm glad he's here, hopefully Liberty can make a positive impact on this kid. But next spring, let the best kid win the QB starting job.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The beauty of this is (as flameshaw stated) we don't *need* him. Does he have an upside that could potentially make us better than we would be without him? No doubt. Was the "cupboard bare" for 2022 before he arrived? Not at all. If he steps up and demonstrates he is worthy of "heir apparent" status, we will almost certainly lose at least one from the trio of Bennett, Brown and Hampton, but it would totally be worth it.
By CCWMichael
Pages need to stop refreshing while writing! Am I the only 1?

He is a kid. I hope he matures much faster than I did and I believe he is in a place that will best foster that.
I hitchhiked across the country to see all 50 states. I was not living in his image.
I stopped to reside in Cali for a year and was not living in his image. I wanted to see more of the world and the Army gave me a guarantee out of country. I went and was not a saint.
Finally went to school in Oklahoma.
I was amazed at how many “smart” people dropped out of college for a multitude of personal issues. Fortunately for me I had finally begun to mature and see more than myself. I began to search for guidance and started to find it in faith thanks to one of my ROTC instructors.
Universities are full of struggling young people and Kaidon is no different other than being an athlete.
After growing in Christ and maturing with the military guidance I needed I decided to attend Liberty. Twice. MA and MBA.
There is no doubt Liberty will struggle with the problems of all the other Universities however, a culture is in place for someone to take charge of themselves if they want to.
I refuse to write him off for a few poor choices when my own testimony is not a path of gold.
He is a kid.
We have the staff and resources in place to give him that chance he appears to want.
I am hoping this is the environment he needs. It may not be but let us allow him the grace to try.
#Fanem
LUOrange, flameshaw, tyndal23 and 8 others liked this
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Interesting comments. Prefer that LU focuses on finding players with potential and building them up instead of the last chance for problem guys. So much is changing now it could be hard to build a program based on development and loyalty. IDK but college football is trending to the Wild West model. And I am not a fan of that.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: July 13th, 2021, 8:32 am Interesting comments. Prefer that LU focuses on finding players with potential and building them up instead of the last chance for problem guys. So much is changing now it could be hard to build a program based on development and loyalty. IDK but college football is trending to the Wild West model. And I am not a fan of that.
I don't want us to be "Last Chance U" either
But this is not that.
We actually offered Salter out of HS. He is class of 21, and the only reason he had a semester at UTK is because he wrapped up his HS requirements early to do it. Heupel was a new hire at UTK. He did not recruit Kaidon, had some talent returning, a transfer coming in from Michigan he likes and a committment from a hot shot 22 QB. Not questioning his motives, but "making an example" of Salter was a relatively easy way for him to establish that he planned on running a tight ship. Many, many players have done worse than him without such severe consequences.
CCWMichael, ballcoach15 liked this
By LU 57
It is sort of reminiscent of Randy Moss’ experience at FSU, although I think one of Randy’s 2 strikes while there was an assault at a Charleston, WV mall.

Anyway, it worked out pretty well for Moss and Marshall. Hopefully, it will work out as well for Salter and LU. As others have said, I trust HCHF’s judgement. There is an opportunity for a real redemption story.
CCWMichael, Baybird liked this
By CCWMichael
olldflame wrote: July 13th, 2021, 10:32 am
badger74 wrote: July 13th, 2021, 8:32 am Interesting comments. Prefer that LU focuses on finding players with potential and building them up instead of the last chance for problem guys. So much is changing now it could be hard to build a program based on development and loyalty. IDK but college football is trending to the Wild West model. And I am not a fan of that.
I don't want us to be "Last Chance U" either
But this is not that.
We actually offered Salter out of HS. He is class of 21, and the only reason he had a semester at UTK is because he wrapped up his HS requirements early to do it. Heupel was a new hire at UTK. He did not recruit Kaidon, had some talent returning, a transfer coming in from Michigan he likes and a committment from a hot shot 22 QB. Not questioning his motives, but "making an example" of Salter was a relatively easy way for him to establish that he planned on running a tight ship. Many, many players have done worse than him without such severe consequences.
Looking at Mom's Twitter it appears the family structure of faith is in place for him to fit Liberty and that is a big plus. It certainly will not hurt.
And, what I understand is he was ticketed and not arrested. A huge difference.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
The ‘Of’ is really the most important word there. If he meant ‘or’ then he is saying no one has his back if he doesn’t. If he means to say ‘if’ then he’s saying he’s always got himself, which is the more positive outcome. So he’s either saying he’ll always have his back or he’s sort of saying no one has his back but he’ll always have it. Idk :dontgetit
By cruzan_flame13
Liberty22 wrote: November 9th, 2021, 2:39 pm The ‘Of’ is really the most important word there. If he meant ‘or’ then he is saying no one has his back if he doesn’t. If he means to say ‘if’ then he’s saying he’s always got himself, which is the more positive outcome. So he’s either saying he’ll always have his back or he’s sort of saying no one has his back but he’ll always have it. Idk :dontgetit
It's likely he saying if and was typing fast and pressed the 'o' instead of the 'i'. Those letters are right next to each other on the keyboard. Also, he likely didn't double check and quickly submitted his post. All is well folks, no double meaning here :lol: .
Liberty22 liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: January 9th, 2024, 1:43 pm Bump, this highlight video is really well done:

There are a lot of passes to Daniels in there. We need to make sure we address that.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]