Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Assuming playoff expands to 12 and 1 G5 gets in...

SOS for CUSA comoared to rest...

I don’t think LU has the luxury of an FCS game if goal is playoff chance. CUSA will be viewed as weakest conference until it isn’t. So my first 5 year scheduling strategy would be.

2 Sunbelt games annually ( due to region ).
Tier 1 - App St/Coastal/Marshall
Tier 2 - JMU/ODU

1 AAC Game
UAB/ECU

1 P5 ( ACC )

NO MAC or Mountain West

If CUSA Champ and beaten top tier AAC and Sunbelt head to head - will need the data points SOS for Committee and hope there is a strong WKU or UTEP same year. Thoughts ?
SumItUp liked this
tyndal23 wrote: December 30th, 2021, 11:06 pm Assuming playoff expands to 12 and 1 G5 gets in...

I don’t think LU has the luxury of an FCS game if goal is playoff chance. CUSA will be viewed as weakest conference until it isn’t. So my first 5 year scheduling strategy would be.

Tier 2 - JMU/ODU

1 AAC Game
UAB/ECU

1 P5 ( ACC )

NO MAC or Mountain West

If CUSA Champ and beaten top tier AAC and Sunbelt head to head - will need the data points SOS for Committee and hope there is a strong WKU or UTEP same year. Thoughts ?
I think you may even get a LIKE from PurpleHaize for that post. Maybe 2022 is the year for peace on earth.
SumItUp wrote: December 31st, 2021, 12:33 am
tyndal23 wrote: December 30th, 2021, 11:06 pm Assuming playoff expands to 12 and 1 G5 gets in...

Tier 2 - JMU/ODU

1 AAC Game
UAB/ECU

1 P5 ( ACC )

NO MAC or Mountain West

I think you may even get a LIKE from PurpleHaize for that post. Maybe 2022 is the year for peace on earth.
I may not like reality, but I do grasp it :).

Tier 2 - JMU/ODU

1 AAC Game
UAB/ECU

1 P5 ( ACC )

NO MAC or Mountain West

This is one of the most realistic proposals you've had. If the AD can pull that off while having 6 home games it would be great. I know the SOS is a concern for you but I think your over estimating its importance. If we win all of our games we will get in. There's never been more than 1 undefeated G5 in a season since the CFP started and 2 of the 4 teams that have done it will be P5s. As coastal Carolina has proven the last two seasons its better to be undefeated with one of the weakest schedules in the country than 10-2 with a top G5 schedule. I personally don't agree with it but I don't control the media.

Also the same has been true at the conference level. When the CFP was announced and SOS was a selling point the B1G scrapped FCS games and added an extra conference game so everyone would have to play 10 P5s a year while the SEC stayed the course mostly playing 1 fcs, 2 G5s a 1 P5. It 100% has cost the B1G extra CFP appearances because instead of 14 automatic wins across the conference they guaranteed themselves 7 more losses by beating up on each other for another week which made everyone look weaker since the media only looks at records.
Purple Haize liked this

Tier 2 - JMU/ODU

1 AAC Game
UAB/ECU

1 P5 ( ACC )

NO MAC or Mountain West

Assuming there is still a Bowl System the First priority is making sure there are 6 Winston your schedule. If an FCS counts as one I think you schedule it. If it doesn’t you don’t. If you can get 6 wins without an FCS team more the better
You’re still gonna run into some issues with Sunbelt teams wanting to schedule LU. I kinda get the impression they don’t like LU. You can certainly take JMU off the list They dispose LU for some reason and will bend over backwards to screw them or not play them. Just facts. Appy Sttate is similar but not nearly to the same degree. Because of that I wouldn’t rule out MAC or Mountain West teams.
Maybe flip flop your AAC with the Sunbelt would be more realistic but overall a decent blue print
@tyndal23 one thing missing is when you’d like this strategy to begin.

CFP could be a big goal, with smaller stepping stones to it. Winning is the biggest help to recruiting, losing is the greatest detractor for it. Bowl participation is a nice stepping stone, along with conference title. So for the next 4-5 years, I’m great with one FCS game as long as one counts toward bowl eligibility. With the annual goal of a conference title. Once we achieve a title, now let’s go for CFP. Having a P5 game and six home games is also great. The remaining games: whatever we can get. Why limit it to only certain conferences? Can you explain why you think we need to exclude the MAC or MWC?
ballcoach15 liked this
Ill flame wrote: December 31st, 2021, 1:25 am

Tier 2 - JMU/ODU

1 AAC Game
UAB/ECU

1 P5 ( ACC )

NO MAC or Mountain West

This is one of the most realistic proposals you've had. If the AD can pull that off while having 6 home games it would be great. I know the SOS is a concern for you but I think your over estimating its importance. If we win all of our games we will get in. There's never been more than 1 undefeated G5 in a season since the CFP started and 2 of the 4 teams that have done it will be P5s. As coastal Carolina has proven the last two seasons its better to be undefeated with one of the weakest schedules in the country than 10-2 with a top G5 schedule. I personally don't agree with it but I don't control the media.

Also the same has been true at the conference level. When the CFP was announced and SOS was a selling point the B1G scrapped FCS games and added an extra conference game so everyone would have to play 10 P5s a year while the SEC stayed the course mostly playing 1 fcs, 2 G5s a 1 P5. It 100% has cost the B1G extra CFP appearances because instead of 14 automatic wins across the conference they guaranteed themselves 7 more losses by beating up on each other for another week which made everyone look weaker since the media only looks at records.
2 FCS and no P5 then if SOS doesn’t t matter. If Sunbelt won’t play us then UMass/UConn and worst MAC teams. Let’s rack up those W’s baby. Committee can tell 1 loss Memphis, Boise, App St to kick rocks. I like it.
JK37 wrote: December 31st, 2021, 11:46 am @tyndal23 one thing missing is when you’d like this strategy to begin.

CFP could be a big goal, with smaller stepping stones to it. Winning is the biggest help to recruiting, losing is the greatest detractor for it. Bowl participation is a nice stepping stone, along with conference title. So for the next 4-5 years, I’m great with one FCS game as long as one counts toward bowl eligibility. With the annual goal of a conference title. Once we achieve a title, now let’s go for CFP. Having a P5 game and six home games is also great. The remaining games: whatever we can get. Why limit it to only certain conferences? Can you explain why you think we need to exclude the MAC or MWC?
We are 20-3 vs G5 under HF. Will be playing an average of 10 G5 games a year, 8 of which are in the weakest G5 Conference. So I guess 20 years of straight Bowl Games, then we can consider mentioning to players we would like to win a Conference Title, then after 20 Conference Titles we could dare hope for G5 autobid and make that a secret goal ( locker room only ) but not dare mention that to recruits ( wouldn’t want to set expectations too high ). After all, the remaining G5 teams after expansion are so powerful, we can only dream of one day beating out the likes of App St, Coastal,Louisiana, for a bid. Seriously, I would figure out scheduling philosophy for 2025 assuming that will be first year of expanded playoff. IF SOS has no relevance, by all means schedule as easy as possible, no P5 games ( we don’t need the $ ) and try and go undefeated every year.
tyndal23 wrote: December 31st, 2021, 2:16 pm
2 FCS and no P5 then if SOS doesn’t t matter. If Sunbelt won’t play us then UMass/UConn and worst MAC teams. Let’s rack up those W’s baby. Committee can tell 1 loss Memphis, Boise, App St to kick rocks. I like it.
If we finish undefeated with 1 P5, 1 fcs and a bunch of G5 wins the committee will tell a 1 loss G5 to kick rocks unless one of those teams has a very difficult schedule for a G5. Considering how watered down the new AAC and sunbelt will be this is unlikely. I know this clearly bothers you but it's reality.
Ill flame wrote: December 31st, 2021, 7:24 pm
tyndal23 wrote: December 31st, 2021, 2:16 pm
If we finish undefeated with 1 P5, 1 fcs and a bunch of G5 wins the committee will tell a 1 loss G5 to kick rocks unless one of those teams has a very difficult schedule for a G5. Considering how watered down the new AAC and sunbelt will be this is unlikely. I know this clearly bothers you but it's reality.
Clearly bothers me? Others said SOS doesn’t matter, so if it doesn’t - then don’t play a P5 and risk it. If SOS matters, then my original post is correct. I will state that ( if G5 gets an autobid) the Committee will now have to focus in on G5 playoff spot and the debate will be just as hard as the 4th spot has been in previous years and I think SOS will matter and quite a bit. ESPECIALLY if they weigh 1 G5 conference much more elite than the rest like they do SEC currently. If Ian feels like it takes 2 P5 game wins first few years to offset weak CUSA - then go schedule Duke and Vanderbilt types. If he feels no P5’s are necessary and 2 FCS games and undefeated gets us there - go schedule it. I just want to hear the philosophy and reasoning - and I want to hear the goal is G5 Playoff spot - not “ let’s make a bowl game every year and take it step by step through the decades” FYI - still would rather be Independent and playing 6 + P5 Games and hoping for 8-4 over next 10 years with dramatically better players than 12-0 and making a playoff game to get creamed first round by good P5 teams - but since we aren’t - next best is “ undefeated “ G5 playoff spot goal. Whatever scheduling philosophy he chooses - I just want to hear it and the reasons why.
ballcoach15 wrote: December 31st, 2021, 8:59 pm Whatever scheduling philosophy he chooses - I just want to hear it and the reasons why.
We might just have to schedule without regard to who we schedule. No matter who we play, just beat them. To make playoffs, we're going to have to go undefeated.
[/quote]

So bring on Bama ?
JK37 wrote: December 31st, 2021, 11:46 am @tyndal23 one thing missing is when you’d like this strategy to begin.

@tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: December 31st, 2021, 11:22 pm

@tyndal23
Thanks PH. I will respond more thoroughly. ( I already stated 2025 for earliest schedule philosophy )

Are we not playing to expect a conference title year 1? if not, when are we expecting one and how are we scheduling non conference games 5 years in advance of first expected Conference USA Champ Win in conjunction to expected 12 Team Playoff in 2025? Since we are shuffling 2023 and beyond right now, the 5 year forecast is moot, so what is the near term philosophy.

If SOS doesn’t matter like I stated it will ( happy to be wrong ) then why play a P5, instead schedule ez as possible and sure, play the weakest MAC teams if Local Sunbelt won’t play us. Don’t fly across the country to play a G5 Mountain West no matter what - because travel miles matter (Hugh Freeze agrees ). IF SOS does matter, then only play closest/weakest P5 teams possible - ACC - Duke types and strongest G5 local Sunbelt and AAC ( less than 1k miles -Coastal, UAB, ECU etc. ). As for a separate comment from you PH, I don’t buy that Sunbelt individual teams won’t play us regardless of Sunbelt Presidents not wanting us in their Conference, I still believe JMU,Marshall, App St, Coastal, ODU will schedule based on proximity and relationship.
tyndal23 wrote: December 31st, 2021, 3:41 pm

We are 20-3 vs G5 under HF. Will be playing an average of 10 G5 games a year, 8 of which are in the weakest G5 Conference. So I guess 20 years of straight Bowl Games, then we can consider mentioning to players we would like to win a Conference Title, then after 20 Conference Titles we could dare hope for G5 autobid and make that a secret goal ( locker room only ) but not dare mention that to recruits ( wouldn’t want to set expectations too high ). After all, the remaining G5 teams after expansion are so powerful, we can only dream of one day beating out the likes of App St, Coastal,Louisiana, for a bid. Seriously, I would figure out scheduling philosophy for 2025 assuming that will be first year of expanded playoff. IF SOS has no relevance, by all means schedule as easy as possible, no P5 games ( we don’t need the $ ) and try and go undefeated every year.
No one said anything about 20 years. In fact, I specifically said 4-5 years. I started to let myself believe you had arrived. But no one will take you seriously if you aren’t serious.
No one is claiming that we should schedule the weakest schedules possible. I'm only saying that any undefeated G5 with a typical G5 schedule (which includes a P5) will get in over a 1 loss upper tier G5 school. If we still don't get in we just name it and claim ourselves national champions like UCF did. In the meantime we need to stop losing to teams like ULM first...
phoenix liked this
tyndal23 wrote: January 1st, 2022, 12:50 am
JK37 wrote: January 1st, 2022, 12:47 am JMU has made it clear they won’t. App State the same, though less recently. ODU wants to. Marshall has said they want to, but hasn’t been able to agree yet.
Maybe you were typing your response simultaneously to mine?
Maybe. But I know things different than what you believe.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]