Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:54 am It’s the Redneck Riviera!!
You guys need to know where to go if you have that opinion of MB. Try the Grand Dunes area or at least stay north of the Pavilion. The Marriott Ocean Watch near The Carolina Opry house is awesome. The beaches are clean and even the pale Yankees can't spoil the view. The shows at the Opry, The Alabama Theatre and the House of Blues are always good and there are really good restaurants out the wazoo. Not like Virginia Beach where it is total concrete and no views from the second row, or The Outer Banks and Atlantic Beach where the only amenities are a jaw harp and some seagulls.
Of course the area south of the Pavilion has become sketchy, but every town has places to avoid. You can't expect to pay $59 a night at the Dew Drop Inn and get a good experience.
I'm sure that CCU doesn't take the recruits to that side of town. Besides, Conway is not Myrtle Beach.
JK37 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
To the outside world, MB is mostly viewed as a golf trip destination. There are dozens of better beaches on the east coast. Also, no one cares about FCS rankings. No one cares about the Sun Belt either. Their one legit distinctive is a College World Series Championship. Can't take that away. And lastly, their QB, McCall...not overrated.
Dalegarz1, Sly Fox, JK37 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: August 13th, 2021, 12:18 am
JK37 wrote: August 12th, 2021, 9:54 am It’s the Redneck Riviera!!
You guys need to know where to go if you have that opinion of MB. Try the Grand Dunes area or at least stay north of the Pavilion. The Marriott Ocean Watch near The Carolina Opry house is awesome. The beaches are clean and even the pale Yankees can't spoil the view. The shows at the Opry, The Alabama Theatre and the House of Blues are always good and there are really good restaurants out the wazoo. Not like Virginia Beach where it is total concrete and no views from the second row, or The Outer Banks and Atlantic Beach where the only amenities are a jaw harp and some seagulls.
Of course the area south of the Pavilion has become sketchy, but every town has places to avoid. You can't expect to pay $59 a night at the Dew Drop Inn and get a good experience.
I'm sure that CCU doesn't take the recruits to that side of town. Besides, Conway is not Myrtle Beach.
I’m gonna pull a BeeJay here and just say

QFT!!!!!!!!
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have always assumed the Redneck Riviera referred to the Florida panhandle where the beaches are significantly nicer than Myrtle Beach. Am I messing up my old hillbilly mindset?
LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: August 14th, 2021, 9:56 am the Redneck Riviera...Am I messing up my old hillbilly mindset?
Sly, I lived 18 years in WV and never heard that term, but it makes sense for the WVU crowd, because I-77 (WV turnpike) is almost a straight shot to MB.

Marshall fans from Huntington prefer VA Beach, since is I-64 East is almost a straight shot for us, and we are more comfortable in urban settings.
Last edited by Cider Jim on August 14th, 2021, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JK37 liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I have always assumed the Redneck Riviera referred to the Florida panhandle where the beaches are significantly nicer than Myrtle Beach. Am I messing up my old hillbilly mindset?
You’re correct about the original reference to the Florida Panhandle, but I’ve also infrequently heard it used to refer to Myrtle Beach regionally.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Cecil Underwood flew campaign planes in the skies above Myrtle Beach when he was running for governor of WV. It’s uncanny how many WV’ans vacation there.

VA Beach is trash.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Many years ago, most places in MB flew the Canadian flag and took the Canadian $ on par with the US. Not so many Canucks vacation there now.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: August 14th, 2021, 7:04 pm Many years ago, most places in MB flew the Canadian flag and took the Canadian $ on par with the US. Not so many Canucks vacation there now.
I think they're all in Tampa St Pete now days.
By Veritas
Sly Fox wrote: August 14th, 2021, 9:56 am I have always assumed the Redneck Riviera referred to the Florida panhandle where the beaches are significantly nicer than Myrtle Beach. Am I messing up my old hillbilly mindset?
My neck of the woods, and significantly better is spot on. We’ll keep Allys Beach, Rosemary Beach, and Seaside as our hidden gems (despite the Truman Show) while the rest of urban coastal Florida is buried in density and unbearable traffic!

Back on topic, I’m very much looking forward to the ‘21 season. I may make my first homecoming since leaving the mountain 25 years ago - what’s the best seat I can likely score as a non-Flames club member?
By LU 57
flameshaw wrote: August 14th, 2021, 7:04 pm Many years ago, most places in MB flew the Canadian flag and took the Canadian $ on par with the US. Not so many Canucks vacation there now.
Tons of French Canadians at Va Beach in the 80s when I was growing up there.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The AP pre season poll has been released. My initial observation is the AP pollsters are worse than the coaches poll pollsters. Hopefully when a few games have been played, pollsters will come to their senses, and vote with integrity.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 16th, 2021, 12:47 pm The AP pre season poll has been released. My initial observation is the AP pollsters are worse than the coaches poll pollsters. Hopefully when a few games have been played, pollsters will come to their senses, and vote with integrity.
Either someone has "integrity" or they don't. Changing their vote in some poll has nothing to do with it. Based just on some of the things you have posted here, I would say you are not in a position to question the "integrity" of anyone. Also, FYI, this poll has Liberty one spot HIGHER than the coach's poll.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: August 14th, 2021, 9:56 am I have always assumed the Redneck Riviera referred to the Florida panhandle where the beaches are significantly nicer than Myrtle Beach. Am I messing up my old hillbilly mindset?
Until VERY recently, I'd never heard of Myrtle referred to thusly.

I lived in Pensacola for four years or so, and heard the term down there constantly - at times with a sense of pride lol.
By tyndal23
phoenix wrote: August 16th, 2021, 9:00 pm
Until VERY recently, I'd never heard of Myrtle referred to thusly.

I lived in Pensacola for four years or so, and heard the term down there constantly - at times with a sense of pride lol.
Right. Redneck Riviera reserved for Pensacola, Myrtle can have Mullet Mile but shouldn’t steal nickname.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/lists/s ... -football/

Bold predictions about SEC football:

Ole Miss loses to Liberty

It’s the Hugh Freeze Bowl on November 6th. The Liberty Flames roll into Oxford and get things done. If they were able to beat two ACC schools last season, they can beat an Ole Miss team that doesn’t play defense.
ballcoach15, LU 57, Sly Fox and 4 others liked this
By LUOrange
alabama24 wrote: August 31st, 2021, 3:16 pm
Kricket wrote: August 31st, 2021, 11:48 am We made the top 10 for exciting teams.
Unfortunately, Coastal is just above us. :roll:
I think the #FakeSportsNews does that poop to us on purpose just to irritate us. :lol:
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]