Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Glad to see ESPN's power ranking poll give Coastal the love and not even mention us. Should put a chip on our shoulder starting out. :lol:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: August 6th, 2021, 2:15 pm Glad to see ESPN's power ranking poll give Coastal the love and not even mention us. Should put a chip on our shoulder starting out. :lol:
I personally don't believe having a "chip on our shoulder" is beneficial, but I'm fine with flying below the radar. We just need to TCB, and things will sort themselves out.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It would be nice to be under the radar. We ae no longer the hunter, but the hunted. Malik Willis & Hugh Freeze put us on everyone's radar. As far as CCU goes...crazy easy schedule...that's why
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think fans put way more stock in these pre season rankings than players do. I am sure some find motivation in it but HF and his staff are pretty good motivators in their own right.

Either way, there is no way we are under the radar with anybody anymore.
By rtb72
thepostman wrote: August 7th, 2021, 10:15 am Maybe I'm wrong, but I think fans put way more stock in these pre season rankings than players do. I am sure some find motivation in it but HF and his staff are pretty good motivators in their own right.

Either way, there is no way we are under the radar with anybody anymore.
Spot on. Let the love affair for CCU continue...we will put our focus on the field. Like Posty said, I think HCHF, staff, and players get themselves motivated and hyped in every game, and know how to handle being underdogs and favorites. That comes with success, and I think as HCHF continues to shape our program with his talent and vision...we will be on every radar. Whereas, CCU...in my opinion will ultimately wain.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 7th, 2021, 12:03 pm The Coaches Poll will be released Tuesday at 12:00. I can't wait to see how Liberty ranks in that one.
Prediction: you’ll be disappointed.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: August 7th, 2021, 12:27 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 7th, 2021, 12:03 pm The Coaches Poll will be released Tuesday at 12:00. I can't wait to see how Liberty ranks in that one.
Prediction: you’ll be disappointed.
The odds are good. I expect B10 teams will saturate the Top 25. Coastal Carolina will be ranked high.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Coaches poll released today, as scheduled. Alabama #1 and Clemson #2. Louisiana came in at #23 and Ole Miss at #25. Liberty "received votes", 30th overall. Remainder of poll ain't worth commenting on. Bunch of over ranked teams.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: August 10th, 2021, 5:05 pm Coastal does not deserve to be ranked higher than LU going into this season. However, not being ranked is good locker-room material for motivation.
LOL. CCU is always over-rated in the polls. Don't understand it at all. All one has to do is look at where they are rated and where they finish. I do not recall one time where their rating was backed up on the field. (maybe the BYU game, but that was an outlier for a lot of reasons).
By Ill flame
I get why coastal was slightly ahead of us last year (which affects preseason polls). They also played a bunch of cupcakes but they handled their weak schedule a little better than we did. If it weren't for us scraping by against wku and fiu last year the advanced metrics like fpi may have been a little more forgiving towards our weak schedule.

Starting the season at #30 is very respectable.
We could easily be ranked after starting the season 3-0. I just hope we live up to our potential.
phoenix liked this
By tyndal23
flameshaw wrote: August 10th, 2021, 10:23 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: August 10th, 2021, 5:05 pm Coastal does not deserve to be ranked higher than LU going into this season. However, not being ranked is good locker-room material for motivation.
LOL. CCU is always over-rated in the polls. Don't understand it at all. All one has to do is look at where they are rated and where they finish. I do not recall one time where their rating was backed up on the field. (maybe the BYU game, but that was an outlier for a lot of reasons).
It’s pretty simple, they were one of a handful of teams playing week 1 and they crushed a P5 and looked good doing it on national tv.
They also played Louisiana early. By the time LU played Syracuse, a lot of other conferences started playing that week. “ always overranked “ ? Last year was a first for them as well. Covid did G5 a big solid last year and it is carrying over to preseason rankings this year.
By jmclaughlin
@App State is their only tough game on the schedule. They get Troy and Kansas at home. Makes our schedule look like a juggernaut, and ours is on the soft side.
I can understand their ranking based off of the schedule.
sstaedtler liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: August 10th, 2021, 11:42 pm
flameshaw wrote: August 10th, 2021, 10:23 pm
It’s pretty simple, they were one of a handful of teams playing week 1 and they crushed a P5 and looked good doing it on national tv.
They also played Louisiana early. By the time LU played Syracuse, a lot of other conferences started playing that week. “ always overranked “ ? Last year was a first for them as well. Covid did G5 a big solid last year and it is carrying over to preseason rankings this year.
"Always over ranked" goes back to the FCS days. They never lived up to their raking(s) on the field. I have never understood it. BTW, I don't hate or dislike them, like ballcoach does the SEC and ND, etc. Just have never agreed with their rankings. 8) 8)
Kricket liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 11th, 2021, 5:29 pm Pollsters drool over CCU because of their location. (near Myrtle Beach).
I don't understand that either. MB has become run down and redundant in the last several years. Used to love to go there. Now..................... not so much. Oh well. To each his own.
sstaedtler liked this
By Ill flame
Our offense should be good enough to keep up with most teams in the country this year. How good is our defense projected to be this year compared to last?
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: I don't understand that either. MB has become run down and redundant in the last several years. Used to love to go there. Now..................... not so much. Oh well. To each his own.
Dirty Myrtle!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: August 11th, 2021, 9:56 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 11th, 2021, 5:29 pm Pollsters drool over CCU because of their location. (near Myrtle Beach).
I don't understand that either. MB has become run down and redundant in the last several years. Used to love to go there. Now..................... not so much. Oh well. To each his own.
Totally agree, and even if you really like the place, why would that have an effect on how someone voted in a football poll? They're not offering free hotel stays for votes last I heard (waiting for ballcoach to suggest they are). Over the years, CCU may have picked up a recruit or 2 because they liked what MB has to offer, but that's about it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am sure the MB effect is part of the reason. Though that is head scratching, like many of you have pointed out. MB is not great.

But also, there is a reason we created the CCU rivalry years ago. Their athletic dept has been strong. Their baseball team has had success. They had more success at the FCS level than we did and so their name is more recognizable to the national media/coaches than Liberty. For now. That is quickly changing and if we continue on our trajectory than we will surpass them and people will start calling us over rated.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
The SP+ rankings came out for the upcoming season. It has Liberty at 54th and 5.8 points better than the average team.

Here is the average conference ranking for each conference. The number next to each conference is how many points better/worse than average.

Big Ten: 12.2
SEC: 12.1
Big 12: 10.1
Pac-12: 10.0
ACC: 8.3
AAC: 2.5
Sun Belt: -1.4
Mountain West: -3.2
MAC: -5.8
Conference USA: -8.5

https://www.espn.com/college-football/i ... +-rankings (ESPN+ article)
LUOrange liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]