Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By tyndal23
ballcoach15 wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:47 am I just hope we play a Power 5 team in bowl game. No Sun Belt or Conference USA teams.
Don’t stray from the newly stated goal Ballcoach, we just want to go to Bowl Games and be happy with that as Liberty fans ( or haven’t you heard ? ) If we upset a P5 team, that will just make it harder to schedule anyone ever at any level and our Program will fold. Actually it would be better the next 50 years if we only went to a Bowl Game every 5 years or so, then it will make our scheduling easier for our Athletic Department, which of course you know nothing about how difficult that is since you were never an AD or President. Stop plagiarizing Doc Sr - we all know he really didn’t mean it as literal text when he stated “ In time, we want to be What BYU is for Mormons and ND is for Catholics and compete with Alabama and USC at the highest level”. Even a sophomore Divinity student knows he gave himself many outs “ in time”could be a thousand years or infinity...It is just that type of “old school” mentality that is so dangerous to our new Progressive mission of being “accepted by all” vs “ if it’s Christian it ought to be better”. Then someday in the next 100 years IF everyone l8es us, we will be accepted in to a G5 Conference and compete with UAB ( what doc really meant if you translate the original Greek of Alabama as well as USC is actually UNiversity of South Charlotte ( also translated as just Charlotte in Hebrew ) - making Doc a prophet as well since they didn’t have a team at the time. Laughable really that anyone interpreted Alabama as the actual university of Alabama or USC as Southern Cal. But of course you wouldn’t know that because you were never a trained Biblical scholar. Stop dreaming of P5 anything and stick with Softball...
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You're insufferable. We obviously all would love to beat P5 teams. Especially in a bowl game. But your goal as a P5 equivalent just isn't based in reality. But you have your view and I have mine. Neither of us are changing out position.

I'm more interested to see how things shake out after the next wave a realignment.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: May 28th, 2021, 11:18 am
ballcoach15 wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:47 am I just hope we play a Power 5 team in bowl game. No Sun Belt or Conference USA teams.
Don’t stray from the newly stated goal Ballcoach, we just want to go to Bowl Games and be happy with that as Liberty fans ( or haven’t you heard ? ) If we upset a P5 team, that will just make it harder to schedule anyone ever at any level and our Program will fold. Actually it would be better the next 50 years if we only went to a Bowl Game every 5 years or so, then it will make our scheduling easier for our Athletic Department, which of course you know nothing about how difficult that is since you were never an AD or President. Stop plagiarizing Doc Sr - we all know he really didn’t mean it as literal text when he stated “ In time, we want to be What BYU is for Mormons and ND is for Catholics and compete with Alabama and USC at the highest level”. Even a sophomore Divinity student knows he gave himself many outs “ in time”could be a thousand years or infinity...It is just that type of “old school” mentality that is so dangerous to our new Progressive mission of being “accepted by all” vs “ if it’s Christian it ought to be better”. Then someday in the next 100 years IF everyone l8es us, we will be accepted in to a G5 Conference and compete with UAB ( what doc really meant if you translate the original Greek of Alabama as well as USC is actually UNiversity of South Charlotte ( also translated as just Charlotte in Hebrew ) - making Doc a prophet as well since they didn’t have a team at the time. Laughable really that anyone interpreted Alabama as the actual university of Alabama or USC as Southern Cal. But of course you wouldn’t know that because you were never a trained Biblical scholar. Stop dreaming of P5 anything and stick with Softball...
😆👍
By LUOrange
JK37 wrote: May 28th, 2021, 6:59 amWhy Charlotte?
Well, it's a P5 bowl so a little better prestige. I love going to Charlotte, and most importantly, it's the easiest drive of all of the bowl games.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: May 28th, 2021, 11:55 am You're insufferable. We obviously all would love to beat P5 teams. Especially in a bowl game. But your goal as a P5 equivalent just isn't based in reality. But you have your view and I have mine. Neither of us are changing out position.

I'm more interested to see how things shake out after the next wave a realignment.
It wouldn’t be a Postie post without this line.

State his position, state the other side. Nothing will ever change!

Wash, rinse, repeat.
By rtb72
LUOrange wrote: May 28th, 2021, 2:18 am The only prediction is that I don't think we'd get the Cure Bowl again. But here's my preference:
1. Obviously a NY6
2. Duke Mayo in CLT.
3. Anything in FL.
4. The Bowl in Mobile as it'd also give me an excuse to return to Gulf Shores.
5. Military Bowl or anything that's not a bad drive to.
2-6 are fairly easy drives. I'd love anything in Fla. also. But I'd give all the convenience up right now for an NY6!
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Remind me of how we would qualify for NY6 - G5 has to be outside of top 12 in CFB Committee rankings if we took that spot ? I can’t remember exact. Would be where no G5 hit the qualifier and LU was more attractive from a fan base/$ perspective compared to any remaining P5 at large. Tough but technically possible....
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I’ll have what he’s having.
By tyndal23
jbock13 wrote: May 29th, 2021, 12:31 am I’ll have what he’s having.
Dead serious - what slot do we take in a NY6 bowl? We aren’t part of G5 which is guaranteed 1 spot ( but I believe they have to be ranked at a minimum benchmark 12,15 or something). Rest are P5 tie in’s like Rose Bowl Pac12 vs Big10. If no G5 is ranked high enough they can take whoever. Am I wrong?
By tyndal23
flameshaw wrote: May 29th, 2021, 1:21 pm There must be a way. We never exaggerate or have unreasonable expectations on this board. 8) 8)
Right. I think the mathematical odds are probably worse than getting selected by Committee for Final 4 spot than a NY6 Bowl, yet I keep hearing our fans and even media drop NY6 possibilities. We don’t have a guaranteed spot even if we are ranked ahead of Best G5 they get it,not us . The odds a NY6 bowl would take us even over a 2-3 loss P5 with monster fan base IF a G5 didn’t qualify are extremely remote.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: May 28th, 2021, 11:55 am You're insufferable. We obviously all would love to beat P5 teams. Especially in a bowl game. But your goal as a P5 equivalent just isn't based in reality. But you have your view and I have mine. Neither of us are changing out position.

Considering he has no grasp on either position it really doesn’t matter.
By rtb72
tyndal23 wrote: May 29th, 2021, 9:31 am
Dead serious - what slot do we take in a NY6 bowl? We aren’t part of G5 which is guaranteed 1 spot ( but I believe they have to be ranked at a minimum benchmark 12,15 or something). Rest are P5 tie in’s like Rose Bowl Pac12 vs Big10. If no G5 is ranked high enough they can take whoever. Am I wrong?
And how does this change if we say we are "P5 Equivalent"? If you are already saying we're not G5...then how would being some customized P5 Equivalent give us anything.
Last edited by rtb72 on May 29th, 2021, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: May 29th, 2021, 7:28 pm
And how does this change if we say we are "P5 Equivalent"?
It doesn’t.
rtb72 liked this
By tyndal23
rtb72 wrote: May 29th, 2021, 7:28 pm
And how does this change if we say we are "P5 Equivalent"? If you are already saying we're not G5...then how would being some customized P5 Equivalent give us anything.
In terms of making a NY6 Bowl Game or are you talking about anything in general?
By Ill flame
Sounds like we need a reminder on how NY6 bowls work. Ignoring the CFP the following bowls have conference tie ins:

Rose: B1G vs Pac 12
Sugar: SEC vs Big 12
Orange: ACC vs highest ranking of remaining B1G/SEC schools or ND.

The other 3 bowls are filled by the highest ranking G5 champ and 5 at larges.

Most bowls use the CFP rankings now to take out some of the subjectivity of who will get the at large bids.

This means that if we ever wanted a shot at a NY6 we would need to be ranked in at least the top 12, more likely the top 8 if we wanted one of those at large bids in the current system. This is hard enough for P5 teams to do but it's nearly impossible for us to be ranked that high even if we're undefeated. Our best route to a NY6 is to join (and win) a weak conference and hope we are ranked higher than the AAC champ.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 30th, 2021, 4:07 am Sounds like we need a reminder on how NY6 bowls work. Ignoring the CFP the following bowls have conference tie ins:

Most bowls use the CFP rankings now to take out some of the subjectivity of who will get the at large bids.

This means that if we ever wanted a shot at a NY6 we would need to be ranked in at least the top 12, more likely the top 8 if we wanted one of those at large bids in the current system. This is hard enough for P5 teams to do but it's nearly impossible for us to be ranked that high even if we're undefeated. Our best route to a NY6 is to join (and win) a weak conference and hope we are ranked higher than the AAC champ.
But if LU SAYS they are P5 equivalent than they will automatically have the Orange Bowl tie in!
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: May 30th, 2021, 8:18 am
Ill flame wrote: May 30th, 2021, 4:07 am Sounds like we need a reminder on how NY6 bowls work. Ignoring the CFP the following bowls have conference tie ins:

But if LU SAYS they are P5 equivalent than they will automatically have the Orange Bowl tie in!
Not true. But if ACC says we are P5 Equivalent and we play 4-5 one for one series every year with P5 schools, we will have a lot more tv $, fans, P5 level players and coaching staff longevity as well as much better/bigger bowl opportunities annually. Still a quirky Independent team, just not lumped in with G5 “comparisons”.
By tyndal23

Thanks for this...
Ill flame liked this
By LUOrange
They're actually projecting us to go 10-2, with only losses to Ole Miss and Louisiana. They must've had a typo on that line.
By Ill flame
LUOrange wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 1:16 am They're actually projecting us to go 10-2, with only losses to Ole Miss and Louisiana. They must've had a typo on that line.
You are correct that we are favored in 10 games but they are giving us an average of 83% chance to win each of those 10 games which means we are likely to lose at least one or two of those. On the flipside we have a decent chance to win one of the two games we are projected to lose which would even out to a 9-3 record.
Kricket liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]