Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Read this very inspiring story on HCHF, thought I would share it. Figure this head coaching philosophy and player mentality applies here at LU as well. He is OUR / LU's coach now... And, the way it looks now he will be here for a long time or just maybe until Nick Saban retires.

Link to the story: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/178 ... ugh-freeze

To illustrate, here is how Freeze defined success in his first team meeting at Ole Miss.

We’ll define success here when you come in the locker room after 60 minutes, and you sit [down] to the guy next to you, and you can say to him, "I did every single thing in my power today to make sure you were successful. Not me. You." And when we get to that point, we’re going to have success.

Link to the Video:

The Season: Ole Miss Football Coach Freeze Hired
LUDad wrote: February 17th, 2021, 8:17 pm A smart coach nevers follows a Bear Bryant, Nick Saban or a Dean Smith. He would follow their replacement.
You never want to follow The Man. You always want to be The Man who followed the man who followed The Man
Dean "freeze the ball" Smith? "The man" who ran the four corners with Michael Jordan & James Worthy? They had to change the rules and add a shot clock because of that guy.

I think maybe John Wooden would be more worthy of the title "the Man."

Just having a little fun, so don't hurt me. I am fully aware that there are more than a few baby blue fans here.
Not a fan of the Tar Holes in general or Smith in particular, but it's no accident that the 4 corners became almost universal end-game strategy in college basketball if you had a lead late in the game. It was a simple matter of using the rules as they existed to your advantage. It could be argued that the adoption of the shot clock and to some degree the 3 point shot are as much a part of Dean's legacy as the championships he won.
As far as making the most use of what's available, it was usually the inferior teams that resorted to 4-corners, not the team with Michael Jordan. IMO, Pete Carril would be an example of a true coaching wizard who made the most of what was available. His lesser teams always over-performed. Many of his innovations including the Princeton Offense remain today.
paradox wrote: February 18th, 2021, 9:51 am As far as making the most use of what's available, it was usually the inferior teams that resorted to 4-corners, not the team with Michael Jordan. IMO, Pete Carril would be an example of a true coaching wizard who made the most of what was available. His lesser teams always over-performed. Many of his innovations including the Princeton Offense remain today.
You are correct that it was inferior teams who used the 4 corners as a game long strategy to slow things down against a superior opponent. That was not what Smith did. He employed it pretty much exclusively to protect a lead in the second half. IMHO he sometimes went to it a bit earlier than necessary, but keep in mind, he had the perfect PG to run it in Phil Ford. When the shot clock was put in, it took away that weapon for less talented teams, which was one of the main reasons for going to the 3 point shot.
paradox wrote: February 18th, 2021, 10:55 am The three-point line allowed the more talented shooters to return to the game. Guard play is less restricted now. Guard skills and creativity can flourish. It's a better game in the NCAA IMO.
Spot on. The game was too dominated by the teams with the biggest athletes. It was a great change. Some would argue that it has swung too far the other way, but IMHO it makes the playing field a lot more level, which is a good thing, especially for a team in Liberty's position.
Hey, don't be hating on Dean Smith. He was only person that could ever hold MJ to under 20 ppg.

Seriously though, purple was right. Williams was smart enought to be 2 coaches removed from the man.

No one thought Williams would ever leave Kansas. When mama calls (and you know she will) do you think Dabo will be swayed?
As a Duke supporter, I couldn't resist the opportunity for mischief.

I agree in principle with what you're saying. A legend, real or imagined, is hard to replace. Especially when there is so much to live up to. Can't imagine stepping in to replace Tom Brady in NE. However, an earlier version of Peyton Manning would be primed and ready. Not very many could step in those shoes.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]