Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Over the last few days, I have had some very positive interactions with people in the community about our bowl game. I just got out of my car yesterday and I heard "go flames." (I was wearing a LU hat and shirt).
A younger lady approached and said that she was an App State grad and watched our game. She said that there house had never been so noisy during a football game, in which ASU was not playing in.
She stated that she respected our program and that CCU was a dirty team. Evidently Chadwell has coached at ASU and she said they didn't like him when he was there either.
Another lady mentioned that she lived in Roanoke, watched the game and enjoyed it.
Yet another one said "I see you are a Liberty fan, you must be happy."
Had a couple of more mentions too. This hasn't happened very often in the past. Anyone else?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Yes, I've had several individuals tell me they watched the game, and all had questions about the fumble on the goal line
By Tnobes
Why don't they sell better liberty gear like the nike stuff that the coaches wear on the sidelines and sweatshirt and jackets that the players wear and the silicone bracelets some of the players wear? I've looked and can't find much online in terms of liberty stuff to wear
sstaedtler, LUOrange liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Tnobes wrote: December 31st, 2020, 5:50 pm Why don't they sell better liberty gear like the nike stuff that the coaches wear on the sidelines and sweatshirt and jackets that the players wear and the silicone bracelets some of the players wear? I've looked and can't find much online in terms of liberty stuff to wear
Liberty is quite terrible when it comes to athletic merchandise. It's crazy that we can't even get selective jerseys from our programs. If they had football, basketball and even baseball jerseys, those would be on high supply and demands. These are easy ways to get alumni/ fan support plus revenue for athletics.
jinxy, LUOrange, rtb72 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It has something to do with Licensing Agreements. I guess it's a deal between LU and Nike. Someone, somewhere doesn't want fans wearing the gear, which is rather confusing, considering it's a money maker. When bookstore opens back up, I will attempt to get a "good" answer.
By Geraldos Mustache
I live in the Chicago suburbs, so not going to get a lot of recognition here, generally.

There are a handful of Liberty alumni at our church. They were pleased. Everyone at church knows my daughter attends Liberty along with a few other kids from our church so there is a high level of visibility for Liberty in our multi-campus church community here in Chicagoland.

Everyone on my sales team and many of my customers know I am a Liberty dad and enthusiastic supporter of all things Liberty. A decent number of them watched the game and were entertained.

I use my Facebook page to be a Liberty evangelist and a lot of FB friends give me plenty of thumbs up and likes on the success Liberty is having. Doing my best to advance the brand here in Da Bears country.
Kricket, flameshaw liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I had a bit of a breakthrough with my brother in law. He and my sister are both Liberty grads, but they live in Bloomington IN, are big Colts and IU fans, and haven't been following Liberty teams at all. I was staying with them for 3 months, waiting for my passport to be renewed, and of course had the Flames football and basketball games on whenever possible. He started showing more and more interest as time passed, and finally watched the Cure Bowl from beginning to end and really got into it.
sstaedtler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 6:00 pm
Tnobes wrote: December 31st, 2020, 5:50 pm Why don't they sell better liberty gear like the nike stuff that the coaches wear on the sidelines and sweatshirt and jackets that the players wear and the silicone bracelets some of the players wear? I've looked and can't find much online in terms of liberty stuff to wear
Liberty is quite terrible when it comes to athletic merchandise. It's crazy that we can't even get selective jerseys from our programs. If they had football, basketball and even baseball jerseys, those would be on high supply and demands. These are easy ways to get alumni/ fan support plus revenue for athletics.
That’s not an Athletic Department issue that’s a University issue. The Athletic Department has been right there with you for decades.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 31st, 2020, 5:05 pm Over the last few days, I have had some very positive interactions with people in the community about our bowl game. I just got out of my car yesterday and I heard "go flames." (I was wearing a LU hat and shirt).
A younger lady approached and said that she was an App State grad and watched our game. She said that there house had never been so noisy during a football game, in which ASU was not playing in.
She stated that she respected our program and that CCU was a dirty team. Evidently Chadwell has coached at ASU and she said they didn't like him when he was there either.
Chadwell never coached there but he played against App State when he was QB at East Tennessee State, and he beat App in Boone the first season he was coach at Charleston Southern.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I live in Wisconsin and I had 4 different people texting me during the Liberty Coastal game. One of them isn't a Christian and he's watched multiple games this year.

My coworkers ask where Liberty is ranked every few weeks. It's very fun to not feel like I'm the only person who cares about the Flames.

What's exciting to me is that it opens up conversations about faith and Christianity in a very subtle way. Great stuff.
LUOrange, flameshaw liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: January 1st, 2021, 11:00 amWhat's exciting to me is that it opens up conversations about faith and Christianity in a very subtle way. Great stuff.
Jerry, Sr. knew that would happen way back in the 1970s, and now it is happening on a national level. :shock:
Kricket, LU 57, flameshaw and 1 others liked this
By rtb72
Cider Jim wrote: January 1st, 2021, 1:23 pm
Kricket wrote: January 1st, 2021, 11:00 amWhat's exciting to me is that it opens up conversations about faith and Christianity in a very subtle way. Great stuff.
Jerry, Sr. knew that would happen way back in the 1970s, and now it is happening on a national level. :shock:
And how awesome is it that we get to live and be a part of that vision and moment.
Kricket, alabama24 liked this
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
For everyone wondering why we don't sell the cool sideline gear the coaches wear:

You should look no further than Barnes and Noble. Unfortunately its like that in a TON of places. The process of getting the "new" Sideline gear is convoluted at best.
1. The athletic department has very little if any say in what is sold.
2.Barnes and noble runs the official store which I'm sure is contractual and means the Athletic department can't set up their own store.
3. B&N places an order with Nike around the same time that the athletics department does. however, Nike and every other major clothing company does everything 9 months in advance and forecasts out totals before they even begin production. This is where it gets kinda crazy. Nike sets minimums across the board on each Item they have designed for the coming year. if those minimums aren't met in the forecasting by the school and B&N then that product will never make it to production. So lets just say the coaches standard polo that All nike schools wear will probably hit minimums on that item. The minimums on B&N are going to be a whole lot tougher to meet than the athletics department. B&N won't order something they don't think they will sell. B&N also needs to make money on those items. Unfortunately the MSRP on a lot of the Nike gear is so outrageous it doesn't sell. There's a reason Nike polos are running 75$ now.

Basically it boils down to B&N not being able to move nike product like they want at the price point that they want. Also not really knowing what the fan base wants. hope that wasn't too confusing but its not just a Liberty problem. I promise. I designed a hat for our baseball team with adidas and got blown up about it being sent to be sold to fans. It took me a year to get it in the door at the B&N store on campus.
Purple Haize, Sly Fox liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:09 am Barnes and noble runs the official store which I'm sure is contractual and means the Athletic department can't set up their own store.
You probably know more about this than I do, but both the new basketball arena and the LU baseball stadium have their own shops to buy LU gear. :clapping
But I don't think the football stadium does. :dontgetit
By cruzan_flame13
Cider Jim wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:43 am
flamesfilmguy wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:09 am Barnes and noble runs the official store which I'm sure is contractual and means the Athletic department can't set up their own store.
You probably know more about this than I do, but both the new basketball arena and the LU baseball stadium have their own shops to buy LU gear. :clapping
The stadium does have a little shop. I suppose that relates with jerseys too. I would think that would be a good product to buy in our shops.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The football stadium will have one when fans return next fall.
Film Guy is right about B and N. As bad as it is it used to be much worse. I know LU turned down a lucrative licensing deal awhile ago that would not have interfered with a Nike UA adidas etc contract.
By Tnobes
Thank you for all the good answers. I live in Minnesota. I bought a Liberty sweatshirt on amazon last winter and another one at dicks sporting goods online this year. I've also bought stuff on the barnes and noble shop. But I've seen some pretty sweet stuff on the coaches and players that I would definitely buy, and now I know the answer why the don't sell it. I've had people talk to me about liberty with the basketball and football success being a conversation starter
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
if they are like ours they are run by B&N
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:50 am
The football stadium will have one when fans return next fall.
Film Guy is right about B and N. As bad as it is it used to be much worse. I know LU turned down a lucrative licensing deal awhile ago that would not have interfered with a Nike UA adidas etc contract.
you have my attention... Which brand tried to get there?
By michaeleyou
Registration Days Posts
I just returned home from a few days with my family at Universal and Disney. One day, I wore a Liberty shirt and also a mask that says Liberty University. I had several current and former students stop me. Also had comments from people who talked about our success this season. I guy seemed particularly informed about both our football and basketball programs. So I asked, what is your connection to Liberty. He smiled and said, no real connection, but I am a believer." I said, that's the only connection that matters!

We have a growing fan base, and it's people like that guy. I love it!
Purple Haize, rtb72, ballcoach15 and 6 others liked this
By Tnobes
I don't have a big connection to Liberty besides being an evangelical Christian, but I watch every football game and most basketball games, it's the reason I subscribed to ESPN3. I have cousins who graduated from Liberty in the mid 80's and early 90's. I went to North Park University and I wouldn't even classify it as a Christian institution anymore so Liberty is my adopted university if you will. I have an Eric Green steelers rookie card, my cousins went to liberty with him
ballcoach15, michaeleyou, SumItUp and 1 others liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 4th, 2021, 12:03 am I have an Eric Green steelers rookie card, my cousins went to liberty with him
I taught Eric Green freshman English. While he could barely fit in those blue student desks, he never complained and was always a quite gentleman in class. But shaking his hand was like grabbing a first baseman's mitt.
flamehunter, alabama24 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]