Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 31st, 2021, 4:13 pm CJ can give better clarity. I work pretty regularly in Memphis and see the allure of 'cue and attractions. But keep in mind that Memphis is a pretty rough town. I have found myself stayng in some pretty shady places in Memphis that looked great online. My kids still talk about a suites hotel where we stayed near the airport. Never stay near MEM. Ever.

I know he hasn't been posting on here in awhile but SeoulFlame is from this area of Northern Mississippi and returns home annually from Kuala Lumpur. I can share my favorite BBQ joints but he would be a great resource. Can he hear me posting in Malaysia?
See, that’s the kind of info we need. Obviously Smooth and I are drawn to The Que scene (will take recommendations) but staying outside Memphis isn’t out of the question. We will have a car so no biggie to drive in for que then out. Of course I’d love to see Graceland. Smooth...not so much
By LUOrange
Sly Fox wrote: January 31st, 2021, 4:13 pm CJ can give better clarity. I work pretty regularly in Memphis and see the allure of 'cue and attractions. But keep in mind that Memphis is a pretty rough town. I have found myself stayng in some pretty shady places in Memphis that looked great online. My kids still talk about a suites hotel where we stayed near the airport. Never stay near MEM. Ever.

I know he hasn't been posting on here in awhile but SeoulFlame is from this area of Northern Mississippi and returns home annually from Kuala Lumpur. I can share my favorite BBQ joints but he would be a great resource. Can he hear me posting in Malaysia?
That's why long ago, I decided to go a little higher with my budgeting options and go with better brands unless I have a personal recommendation. I try to go with Hilton brand hotels like Embassy Suites or Tru by Hilton. Much better to pay a little more and get quality and piece of mind.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Embassy Suites tend to be old and rundown in most places. The brand has seen its better days and is due for a reboot like La Quinta. The nightmare situation I was referencing above was a Comfort Suites in Memphis. But I digress.

Haize & Smoothie would have LOVE Beale Street if COVID restrictions are raised. Sun Studio where Col. Tom worked Elvis like a dog is extremely cool. The Lorraine Motel where the shots rang out in the Memphis sky is a must stop and Gracland is Graceland. The latter is much smaller than you might expect. If you time it out right you can watch the duck parade into the Peabody and then slip over to the Rendezvous for some iconic ribs with a rub that established the Memphis style. The other can't miss joints are Corky's and Central BBQ but you could go to a dozen other spots that would blow you Virginians away.
By sstaedtler
I am going with my wife to the Syracuse game. I believe Liberty usually sits in section 119-120 and 113 and 114, in the corners on Liberty's sideline, but that isn't 100% yet. That is what has been done in the past. Another guy I talked to on Twitter is going with his wife as well. After that, I may try to bring my son or the whole family to the Louisiana home game November 20th.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler - My old LU rooommate lives in Syracuse and had tickets for last season's game. I will try and hunt down where his tix were located.

I may have to wait until game week to make a decision on Ole Miss due to work. I am hearing horror stories about hotel costs within 50 miles of Oxford.

I don't expect tickets to be tough to find for my driveable games at either ULM or UNT.
sstaedtler liked this
By rtb72
Anyone considering the UAB game at their new stadium? I'm pretty sure I'm going to make that a long weekend since we have friends close by. Would love to "christen" their new stadium with an LU WIN!
By LUOrange
I already bought my Syracuse tickets through Liberty for $25. That's not much more that student section tickets through Stubhub. For that price, I figured it was worth a few dollars more to sit among other Liberty fans and possibly avoid drunk college kids.
By LUOrange
Sly Fox wrote: June 18th, 2021, 8:14 am The secondary market for our game at UAB is steep because of the christening.
$30 a ticket through LU is not bad at all. Again, it's even better if you can limit your company and/or interaction with inebriated college kids.
By UAB Band Dad
Hi, guys. UAB fan here, checking in. Feel free to hit Blazertalk.com to get our side of the match up.

We get you at home on Oct. 2. This will be our first game in our new stadium, Protective Field. We open with a neutral site game in Montgomery against Jacksonville St., all games between then and Liberty will be road games. It's a very big deal for us, getting our own place instead of playing in 'Bama's hand-me-down that was built when Calvin Coolidge was president. It's a very nice stadium, going to be one of the best in the G5.

The University of Alabama Board of Trustees knifed our program and got it closed at the end of 2014. The UAB fans, joined by the city and county and some of Birmingham's big business leaders fought (and paid out of pocket) to bring the team back. In the years before Bill Clark became our coach the Blazers were a painfully bad football team in a market that knows and loves good college ball. Since The Return, we have won our division three straight years and the conference twice.

In many ways the teams mirror each other. We've got twelve players who took advantage of the extra year and returned, and seventeen senior starters. The entire OL is back, big nasty group who gave up one sack last season. Spencer Brown graduated, our all time leading rusher, but there's a full RB room ready to go. Defense has been top ten statistically in several categories the last three years. QB is Tyler Johnston, a redshirt senior. Great leader, good qb, has had some injury issues.

Yes, we're aware of Malik Willis. Most of us saw y'all last season. We've got a stout D, we'll see who wins that one. If I heard correctly, the son of his high school coach transferred to UAB from Louisville at TE. We're like everyone else, we're going to try to contain him. Many folks here follow Auburn, so we know about him.

I figure looking at the schedule that you guys come in undefeated and probably ranked by then. The teams look pretty even. This matchup looks a lot like Liberty-Coastal Carolina to me, two quality G5 teams. Should be a fine game.

As to our expectations for the Blazers, we get Georgia and Tulane on the road, Liberty at home, and Marshall on the road. The rest of the schedule we should win if things run to form. UGA's a probable loss, the other three are 50-50, 60-40 games, two on the road. Realistically, all three could go either way. It looks to me like an eight or nine win season, with a reasonable potential for us to host the conference championship for the first time. We've won it twice in a row, both on the road.

If any of you are considering traveling, if you fly in the stadium is ten to fifteen minutes from the airport. The Westin at the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center will be a bit pricey but it's a block from the stadium. Protective Stadium is beside the civic center, as is Uptown, an upscale pub and restaurant area. Top Golf is right next to the stadium as well. There are three other (and larger but not necessarily better) entertainment districts within ten minutes by car of the stadium, Five Points South, Avondale, and Lakeview. Birmingham has become something of a foodie city, lots of options. As to hotels, downtown will be closest but I'd say look at Five Points or Homewood. Both are fairly close and an easy drive.

As to BBQ, Dreamland is the big name, but there are better places. Personally, I'd recommend Saw's (four locations) and Rodney Scott's, but Full Moon, Golden Rule, Jim 'n Nick's and others are fine. Go to Saw's and get the pork and greens - a base of cheese grits, turnip greens on top of that, pulled pork over that, topped with fresh hot Vidalia onion rings. Darn good.

Anyhow, feel free to stick your head in at Blazertalk.com. We'll be happy to answer any questions as to hotels, restaurants, things to do around town. We're a fairly civilized lot, not the entitled 'Bama fans who come to mind when you think football here.
Baybird, flameshaw, LU 57 and 2 others liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the local intel, UAB Band Dad! I suspect some of us who don't have our significant others traveling with us to object might consider a BBQ tour for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I see some of you smiling at the idea.

LU 57 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I would be shocked if Ballcoach didn't make this trip to his favorite state. :shock: And if he goes, he'll be DRIVING.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 15th, 2021, 2:26 pm Thanks for the local intel, UAB Band Dad! I suspect some of us who don't have our significant others traveling with us to object might consider a BBQ tour for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I see some of you smiling at the idea.

Smooth and I will be doing that at Ole Miss probably
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:26 pm

You and Smoothie make such a nice Bromance couple. :pbjtime :pbjtime
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 16th, 2021, 11:33 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:26 pm

You and Smoothie make such a nice Bromance couple. :pbjtime :pbjtime
We do. But you and ballcoach are the ASOR Couple of the Century
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 15th, 2021, 3:57 pm I would be shocked if Ballcoach didn't make this trip to his favorite state. :shock: And if he goes, he'll be DRIVING.
The UAB game is same weekend as Talladega race. One trip, 2 events. If Alabama or Jacksonville State has a fall softball game on Friday, one trip, 3 events.
By TexanMark
For those going to Syracuse...we will have air conditioning for youse guys. Liberty seating should be in the corner around Section 111. The drunken yuuts will be at the other end. Our student yuuts arrive late and leave early for Friday night games. Party is more important than football to them.

I'd expect 35,000 in there assuming we are at least 2-1. The stadium is not fully renovated but I heard it is fantastic.

There will be some color change on the leaves...more the higher elevation you go.

Any fisherman...about 35 mins north of Syracuse will be hopping with the Salmon Run in Pulaski.

Parking can be a pain...Friday night makes it worse. If you plan to tailgate either buy a pass on the secondary market or head to Skytop. That is the cash lot located 1.5 miles south of the stadium. If you aren't tailgating, if you drive up Adam's street there is some limited cash lots near Irving. Also a few garages. Expect to pay $20-25.

Finally, if you have mobile tickets...download them to Google Pay or your Apple Wallet before getting to the stadium. Wi-Fi will still suck in there. That is being fixed next year. TRUST ME ON THIS.
LU 57, Sly Fox liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
TexanMark, thanks for all of your insider information.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]