Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:13 pm

With the bowl game out of the way and three years (at least) of eligibility ahead of him, I am almost surprised McCall hasn't entered the transfer portal because his prospects would be very intriguing.
Which is why I’m glad Willis has already transferred once already!
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 28th, 2020, 6:33 pm
Sly Fox wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:13 pm I will be pleasantly surprised if we wind up Top 25 preseason. I expect us to be right on the cusp on entry. But with our schedule setting up the way it does, we should get off to a great start to merit the placement. Outside of wildcard Syracuse in Week 4, all of our toughest opponents are in November.

With the bowl game out of the way and three years (at least) of eligibility ahead of him, I am almost surprised McCall hasn't entered the transfer portal because his prospects would be very intriguing.
Yes, he could start almost anywhere (except LU). :shock: He would indeed get better exposure at a P5 school. He has NFL potential for sure.
A lot of NFL QBs never played for P5 teams or even played FBS (eg. Carson Wentz, Josh Allen, and Ben Rothlisberger etc) Tyler Thigpen had a 7 year NFL career as CCU QB. He was BSC POY and 1st team FCS AA. He was part of the 1st recruiting class as was their RB and WR who also played in the NFL. I don't see why McCall would want to go to get exposure but I could be wrong.
By farmfanucdgrad
Sly Fox wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:13 pm I will be pleasantly surprised if we wind up Top 25 preseason. I expect us to be right on the cusp on entry. But with our schedule setting up the way it does, we should get off to a great start to merit the placement. Outside of wildcard Syracuse in Week 4, all of our toughest opponents are in November.

Agreed with your observation....I'm expecting a final 2020 Poll Vote of around #18 for Liberty and a Pre-Season 2021 Poll Vote of around #27 for Liberty
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
IF we can start the season ranked in the top 25 that would be pretty huge, especially if we string some wins together early on. Starting the season in the top 25 makes it much easier to rise in the ranks. Even being in the conversation is pretty exciting.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
This is from McMurphy, as I mentioned in another thread. We're returning 21 starters. I wouldn't be surprised if we're ranked high on the AP poll.
No. 25 Liberty
Last year: 10-1 (defeated Coastal Carolina in Cure Bowl)
Schedule highlights: Oct. 2 at UAB, Nov. 6 at Ole Miss, Nov. 20 vs. Louisiana

Liberty proved it was a top-25 team last season, winning two of three games against Power Five opponents, and upsetting previously undefeated Coastal Carolina in the Cure Bowl. The Flames could have similar success in 2021 with 21 of 22 starters returning, most notably QB Malik Willis. The schedule is highlighted by Liberty coach Hugh Freeze’s return to Ole Miss, where he coached from 2012-16. Liberty also has road games at Syracuse and C-USA champion UAB, plus a home game with Sun Belt co-champion Louisiana.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 12th, 2021, 11:52 am :lol: :lol: :lol:

(When you see it)

Eagles?? Looks like we still have a way to go to be a household name in the college football world. Hopefully by this time next year we won't be the Liberty Eagles or the University of Liberty.
LUOrange liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote: January 12th, 2021, 3:13 pm Where did they come up with Eagles from?
Liberty being called the "eagles" isn't new... I know it has happened at least a couple times before on ESPN.

Many schools have a mascot and nickname that align... but not all do. But it isn't difficult to see where the "eagles" comes from. I know that a picture of sparky was posted, but that is secondary. Our main logos for athletics have the eagle for a LONG time.

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 13th, 2021, 12:10 pm University of Alabama Elephants, right?

That's actually a valid comparison. The difference, of course, is that they are not ignorant about Bama whereas they clearly are about Liberty. In both cases, you have a nickname that does not translate well into mascot form, so they came up with something else.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 13th, 2021, 12:10 pm University of Alabama Elephants, right?
Exactly what I was gonna say.

I’ve said it for years, no way that’s accidental. It’s been going on for decades.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Kind of. Also Auburn Tigers / War Eagle. However, it is a bit more confusing with Liberty. BAMA rarely uses the elephant logo. Liberty always uses the eagle.

It is one thing for a casual fan to make a mistake. Quite another for someone getting paid.
By farmfanucdgrad
I think that 9-3 regular season is the expected benchmark for success (meeting expectations) for 2021. Anything less would be disappointing (irrespective of devastating injuries, etc.) However...I do think that being 10-2 or 11-1 regular season is very achievable with a little luck here and there during a game (fumble, int. blocked kick, etc.). But who knows...Flames have a chance to even exceed that but expectations should be tempered for next year. Next year's schedule is going to be more difficult but the Flames should also be much better as well. We'll see...that's why they still play the games.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]