Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Logic wrote: December 27th, 2020, 6:37 pm Man. If only CCU and Liberty had more FCS success before moving up!! Amazing finish - looking forward to next year!!
I think CCU's athletic director at the time they got the SunBelt invite tweeted or made a statement how their FCS success made them worthy of an invite, and said it in a way that made it appear to be a shot at Liberty, which was also trying to move up at the time.
Liberty22 liked this
By BlueBlood
gerb wrote: December 27th, 2020, 11:25 pm Take a look at nearly any football message board and Liberty is being discussed and I don’t mean auburn or the vols. Texas A&M for example has over 100 comments on the LU thread. Being the only college game on tv in prime time on sat night on ESPN 1 was huge. And it was an action packed game that kept viewers. Ratings will be really interesting but the way this game came together created way bigger exposure than we ever could have imagined. And the gap between our win and NY6 gives HCHF the perfect chance to do A list media blitz for the next few days.
Yeah, I could tell during the game that this was garnering much more national attention than our other "big" games. I had my usual half-dozen friends and family who text back and forth with me when LU is playing on a nationally televised game. But, this time I also had a lot of non-regulars checking in with me too - so it was pretty obvious that we were getting a much wider audience.

I didn't post on here after the game, as I had to drive 2 hours back to Tampa. I went to last years game too. That one felt much more like a bowl game with a couple sun-filled days of pageantry and events. The band and cheerleaders were there. It felt like a celebration just for LU to be there. The win was the icing on the cake.
Due to COVID knocking out the normal bowl festivities, and FL deciding to give us non-FL weather for gameday, this felt much more like a playoff game. There wasn't any pageantry or celebration of just "being there" - you were there for a meaningful bigtime football game. This was a business trip for the team - the team came in the night before and flew out after the game. Most of the fans did pretty much the same thing.
If LU lost the game last year, my crew would still have had a fun time. If LU lost this year, no as much.

A great night for LU. Go Flames.
By BlueBlood
One more thing - the players absolutely killed it with their dancing on the sideline. They created so much energy and had surprisingly good synchronized choreography.
By BuryYourDuke
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:42 am I think CCU's athletic director at the time they got the SunBelt invite tweeted or made a statement how their FCS success made them worthy of an invite, and said it in a way that made it appear to be a shot at Liberty, which was also trying to move up at the time.
“This move is about what we’ve done, not what we’ve said.” -Matt Hogue

Never forget.
By LU 57
Saw this on the VT message board talking about the end of the game🤣🔥💍:

“You’re right. The strategy was correct IMO the...
Execution was poor. But at the end the best team won, and Liberty brings home the only bowl win for the Commonwealth for the second year in a row.

Go Flames!

Had not thought about that🔥 Love it!!
By tyndal23
I haven’t scrolled through the posts and someone may have said it - but to me it looked like TE was pulling him backwards from the waist and that is how Mack flipped over in the tug of war. I don’t think he was pushing him in. After hearing HF state he wanted to get closer to goal line - makes sense on the hand off decision, Mack was trying to go down but his backend got lifted in the air while his front end and head were be pulled down while he was fighting to keep ball short. Freak play and I think 100 percent it crossed goal line before coming out anyway.
Risewithus, Sly Fox, LUOrange and 2 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote: December 28th, 2020, 1:24 pm
ATrain wrote: December 28th, 2020, 9:42 am I think CCU's athletic director at the time they got the SunBelt invite tweeted or made a statement how their FCS success made them worthy of an invite, and said it in a way that made it appear to be a shot at Liberty, which was also trying to move up at the time.
“This move is about what we’ve done, not what we’ve said.” -Matt Hogue

Never forget.
Who’s this? We should get a Moderator to check your credentials :D
By LUOrange
I agree with both Tyndal & LU57's Tech poster-
1. Freeze's calls & strategy was correct.
2. The execution got hairy when the Mack Tug-o-war started.
3. That was a TD! The ball came out i n the endzone!
That said the life lesson to learn here is, "When in doubt. Score the dang touchdown!"
Anyway, great game and effort by our boys! Can't wait til the fall!
Purple Haize liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Should we be in the same situation again.

Kneel on 1st. Kneel on 2nd. Run the ball on 3rd with both arms protecting the ball and if there is absolutely nothing there go down immediately. Kick fg leave 9 seconds left.

If malik can improve his fumbling were darn near unstoppable in those red zone spots. I call pass plays and if 1st read isn't there let malik make a play. Coastal only stopped him for 2 yards or less maybe 2 or 3 times all game. He's just too explosive to take the ball out of his hands with a pure pass or run play at the end.

That was a fun game. Really think if malik hits that bomb to Douglas we blow them out.
Risewithus, LU 57 liked this
By sstaedtler
Just wanted to bring up that the biggest plays of the game on defense late were made by freshman. Rashad Whitehead made a great spin move and got crucial pressure on that 3rd and 10 in overtime, and Quinton Reese at CB was involved in several key coverage plays on that last Coastal possession.
By Geraldos Mustache
Liberty controlled the game from the kickoff.
Our offense was explosive - CCU really did not have an answer for Malik all night.
Our defense made some great stops early on which forced CCU to play from behind all night.
Liberty never trailed in this game. Never.

It shouldn't have been that close. Liberty botched the ending. This game should have gone down with Liberty winning by a TD despite being a 7.5 point dog.

I'll tip my hat to QB McCall. He's a gritty player who knows how to grind. He'll be fun to watch in upcoming seasons.

Liberty leads the series 8-7 and enjoys being 2-for-2 in Bowl Game wins. CCU is 0-1 in Bowl Games.
Liberty has the facilities.
Liberty will win the recruiting battle.
Liberty is not stuck in a sub-par G5 conference.

You wanna talk about America's team? Liberty is America's University!
15,000 undergrads and 4000 graduate students on a 7000 acre campus plus another 100,000 students online.
30,000 of our students are US Military students!
Liberty is a private school - not a State school, and draws students from every state in the nation.
$1.6 billion endowment.

CCU has a total enrollment of 10,500, a 620 acre campus and a $42 million endowment.
I don't want to hear any more of this "America's team" nonsense from CCU fans.
Risewithus, LU 57, ballcoach15 and 5 others liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Geraldos Mustache wrote: December 28th, 2020, 5:44 pm You wanna talk about America's team? Liberty is America's University!
15,000 undergrads and 4000 graduate students on a 7000 acre campus plus another 100,000 students online.
30,000 of our students are US Military students!
Liberty is a private school - not a State school, and draws students from every state in the nation.
$1.6 billion endowment.

CCU has a total enrollment of 10,500, a 620 acre campus and a $42 million endowment.
I don't want to hear any more of this "America's team" nonsense from CCU fans.
Unless you're gay, non-Christian, or Democrat.

I'm not saying that as a bad thing, but to think we're anywhere near America's thing is homerism through and through.

People ate up Coastal this year because of Myrtle Beach, mullets, and professional wrestling celebrations. It's the Redneck Riviera on steroids and the public at large loves that type of stuff. Those people didn't watch the games or know anything other than Teddy Gallagher's blonde mullet and a flying elbow drop on an eagle.

Let them be America's team. It makes beating them that much more enjoyable. We don't - and shouldn't - have to compare ourselves in any way to Coastal other than what happened on Saturday night.
By Jonathan Carone
But why is it such a thing that people get so emotional about it? They got a lot of really fun-for-them coverage from McAfee and SVP and Marty Smith, all of whom called them America's Team. Let them have their fun. It has absolutely no bearing on anything we would do. Why do we have to be the fun police and point out the 37 reasons they're not, in fact, America's team?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:47 pm But why is it such a thing that people get so emotional about it? They got a lot of really fun-for-them coverage from McAfee and SVP and Marty Smith, all of whom called them America's Team. Let them have their fun. It has absolutely no bearing on anything we would do. Why do we have to be the fun police and point out the 37 reasons they're not, in fact, America's team?
They got a Cease and Desist letter from the Dallas Cowboys
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:But why is it such a thing that people get so emotional about it? They got a lot of really fun-for-them coverage from McAfee and SVP and Marty Smith, all of whom called them America's Team. Let them have their fun. It has absolutely no bearing on anything we would do. Why do we have to be the fun police and point out the 37 reasons they're not, in fact, America's team?
Because that is what fans do?

They can have their fun and I can have my fun and find it laughable.

I'm not overly emotional about it but it is pretty laughable. Most casual fans couldn't tell you a thing about Coastal or Liberty. If either were anywhere close to "America's team" that wouldn't be the case.
Liberty22, LUOrange, flameshaw and 1 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 28th, 2020, 8:41 pm Let the record show, I'd find it just as comical if LU fans were going around calling themselves America's team.
They can’t be America’s Team.....They’re Jesus’ Team!!!!!!
By rtb72
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 28th, 2020, 7:47 pm But why is it such a thing that people get so emotional about it? They got a lot of really fun-for-them coverage from McAfee and SVP and Marty Smith, all of whom called them America's Team. Let them have their fun. It has absolutely no bearing on anything we would do. Why do we have to be the fun police and point out the 37 reasons they're not, in fact, America's team?
Because as an LU fan who is overjoyed by LU and am totally into my team and what we have done, especially defeating our rival......I want to! Like was said earlier...it's what fans do. The problem is when you throw ideology and politics into it. That's when the "emotion" comes in. I mean....this is an LU fan board, right?
By Jonathan Carone
I guess I just don’t see the need to focus on the other team to enhance my celebration. We beat them. Let them call themselves whatever they want and we’ll take the trophy back to Lynchburg and know we were better than they were. That’s enough for me.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]