Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 12:57 pm
thepostman wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 12:13 am
Tnobes wrote:So wins and losses no longer matter?
They do, but the quality of competition Notre Dame faced throughout that season, top to bottom, was much tougher than our schedule. So I guess you're saying you believe we are better than ND?
The scoreboard would say that. Talking heads will say a 4 loss helmet school is better than an undefeated mid major. The W's don't lie
Specific examples please
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:59 pm Alabama 12-0
BYU. 11-1
Coastal 11-1
Liberty 10-1
Louisiana 10-1

Coastal beat BYU and Louisiana. Liberty beat Coastal.

Wins & losses = Liberty is #2
What? These numbers make no sense. What are you trying to say? That LU should be ranked #2 in the Country?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 2:01 pm
What? These numbers make no sense. What are you trying to say? That LU should be ranked #2 in the Country?
Ballcoach Math really should have its own YouTube channel. :oldhag :typing :fineprint
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:59 pm Alabama 12-0
BYU. 11-1
Coastal 11-1
Liberty 10-1
Louisiana 10-1

Coastal beat BYU and Louisiana. Liberty beat Coastal.

Wins & losses = Liberty is #2
Some need to read this post again. Granted BYU and Coastal have 1 more win than Liberty, but Coastal beat BYU and Liberty beat Coastal. Study :football
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 2:10 pm Those W/L numbers are accurate.
I like cookies.
Now back to your post. What are you trying to say?
By Tnobes
thepostman wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 9:06 pm I now what you said. Then you said wins & losses = Liberty is #2. Based on wins and losses alone, they are not #2 because BYU and Coastal have more wins.

But it is an insane assertion. No sane person actually thinks Liberty is the 2nd best team in the nation.
Best based on what? Eye test? Recruits? History? Wins? Rankings? Coaches poll? Ap poll? Strength of schedule?

Only metric that can't be influenced is who won the games that they played.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
So a 10 win Sun Belt team is equal to a 10 win SEC team? Quality of opponent is a huge factor in college football. If it weren't then Liberty should just schedule a bunch of games with low end FBS teams and call it a day.
By Tnobes
So Cincinnati should apologize for the season that they had? Their wins don't mean anything? Sorry UCF 2018, sorry Cincinnati, sorry Coastal Carolina, your wins don't count, your seasons sucked, don't play next year
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 12:03 am So Cincinnati should apologize for the season that they had? Their wins don't mean anything? Sorry UCF 2018, sorry Cincinnati, sorry Coastal Carolina, your wins don't count, your seasons sucked, don't play next year
What is your argument? Who you play certainly factors into the equation. A 3 point loss to Oregon is better than a 14 point win against Western Carolina if you’re trying to decide who is best.
You can only win the games you are scheduled to play. I get that. But not all match ups are created equal
thepostman liked this
By tyndal23
Legit shot of sneaking in to top 15. I agree with Manson it might be 18 but top 15 would be cool - a lot of bowl games broke our way - if NCST would have won, I think for sure we get to 15....will wait and see. Glad we lost one, too hard to follow up and not have an idiotic annoying fan base yelling to fire HF after we lose back to back to Syracuse, and UAB next year...( kidding,sort of ).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 1:26 am So going 0-10 against Oregon is your dream season, knock yourself out
Puppies are cute

Feel free to address the issue.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Let's not forget, wherever we end up, 100% of us would have taken anywhere in the Top 25 before the season began. The thing that is going to grind my gears, is that CCU will be rated above us. I cannot think of one reason why anyone could vote that way. Same record, we had a better SOS (or at least equal), and we beat them head to head. :roll:
Liberty22 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
The argument for Coastal will be they had two top 25 wins and their loss was to a ranked team while ours was not, so theirs is “better.”

I think it’s wrong, but that’s the reasoning people will use.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 2:52 pm The argument for Coastal will be they had two top 25 wins and their loss was to a ranked team while ours was not, so theirs is “better.”

I think it’s wrong, but that’s the reasoning people will use.
Objectively that is “better”
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 12:03 am So Cincinnati should apologize for the season that they had? Their wins don't mean anything? Sorry UCF 2018, sorry Cincinnati, sorry Coastal Carolina, your wins don't count, your seasons sucked, don't play next year
Yep. You got it! :lol: (No one is saying anything close to that, fwiw).

Here is a bit of logic for you:

1. The best team ALWAYS wins.
2. ALL of the best teams are in "conference A"
3. Conference A has 11 teams who play each other once every year.

For the sake of this discussion, we will assume #1 and #2 are true (they are not... Although this is a bit ridiculous, it is a good exercise for this discussion. While the "best" team doesn't ALWAYS win, the better team does win more often than not).

In this scenario, one team will be 10-0. Another will be 9-1 and so on until the bottom team is 0-10. Here are their records:

Team 1: 10-0
Team 2: 9-1
Team 3: 8-2
Team 4: 7-3
Team 5: 6-4
Team 6: 5-5
Team 7: 4-6
Team 8: 3-7
Team 9: 2-8
Team 10: 1-9
Team 11: 0-10

Since ALL of the BEST teams are in this conference, and since the BETTER team ALWAYS wins, If team 11 were to play the 10-0 champion of "Conference B," who would win Tnobes?
jinxy wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 3:11 pm It was clear who the better team was. It took us turning the ball over inside the 10 twice plus that missed bomb to douglas then a pick just to make it close.

Overcoming all that is no small feat.
I could care less if CCU finishes ranked above LU.
We beat them head to head on a neutral field. They know it. We know it.
Trust me, they won't take solace in a higher ranking. They'd rather have the Win.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]