Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
CCU has a well oiled machine on offense. Almost never turn the ball over, almost never commit penalties, and almost never get sacked, and almost never get TFL. McCall is probably the best QB we faced all year, that's why he was OPOY in SBC, 1st team all conf, FR All-American, and on many POY/QB watch lists, quite an accomplishment for a R-FR.

D has a 2nd team All-American DT and a lot of Sr/R-Srs on the front 7 which may be the best front 7 we have faced all year as well. They are built for speed (as is their smallish O line)and swarm to the ball. Strong is a Josh Norman clone in the backfield. I can see why we are a 7 1/2 point underdog.

This will have to be are best game of the year. No TOs, limit penalties, no sacks, control TOP with effective running and ball control plays, and limit their explosive plays, keep McCall from breaking off any big runs, keep Marable from doing the same, and blanket Heileigh. 1st downs will be the key for each team.

#beat coastal
PAmedic liked this
therealbodoyle wrote: December 24th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Total D rank: CCU is 25th. NCSt is 73rd.
3rd Down D: 38th NCSt 40th
4th Down D: 20th NCSt 57th
Opponent 1st Downs: CCU 74th NCSt 124th
Passing Yds Allowed: CCU 32nd NCSt 93rd

etc etc etc
I struggle with these kinds of stat comparisons because the NC State schedule vs. mostly ACC programs is very different from CCU schedule vs. mostly Sun Belt programs. If NC State and CCU were both playing similar schedules in the same conference - the stats would matter.

This is not to take anything away from CCU or Liberty for the success both schools have had. But the potency of the NC State stats you listed above include them playing Clemson, North Carolina, Miami...

This looks to be an excellent matchup. CCU should have a slight edge and I believe the 6.5-7 points Liberty is getting is warranted. That being said - dynamic plays on either side of the ball will determine the outcome. The most dynamic player on the field will be Malik Willis. As he goes - so Liberty goes. You just can't account for his ability to tuck the ball and run. His home run potential on broken plays is stunning. Yet so is his turnover potential.

If Willis plays a quality game, I like Liberty's chances.
LUOrange, flameshaw, Liberty22 and 2 others liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
BYU is way overrated. They didn’t play anyone either. They beat an average UCF team from the AAC, where many were saying that it was an overrated conference. BYU is a good win but I don’t see them beating Tech or State.

Both of us hasn’t played anyone but I think Tech was a better win than BYU.
By gerb
Chippy wrote: December 24th, 2020, 4:01 pm CCU has a well oiled machine on offense. Almost never turn the ball over, almost never commit penalties, and almost never get sacked, and almost never get TFL. McCall is probably the best QB we faced all year, that's why he was OPOY in SBC, 1st team all conf, FR All-American, and on many POY/QB watch lists, quite an accomplishment for a R-FR.

D has a 2nd team All-American DT and a lot of Sr/R-Srs on the front 7 which may be the best front 7 we have faced all year as well. They are built for speed (as is their smallish O line)and swarm to the ball. Strong is a Josh Norman clone in the backfield. I can see why we are a 7 1/2 point underdog.

This will have to be are best game of the year. No TOs, limit penalties, no sacks, control TOP with effective running and ball control plays, and limit their explosive plays, keep McCall from breaking off any big runs, keep Marable from doing the same, and blanket Heileigh. 1st downs will be the key for each team.

#beat coastal
You forgot: CCU almost never had a legitimate defensive injury timeout.

flameshaw, CCWMichael liked this
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: December 24th, 2020, 4:01 pm

#beat coastal
This. I’ve watched several of their games. Marable and Heileigh are legit. Real talent. We have to be nearly flawless to contain them.
Even so our offense will have to score. A lot.
ballcoach15 wrote: December 24th, 2020, 3:54 pm
Geraldos Mustache wrote: December 24th, 2020, 2:15 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 9:38 pm I guess I am. I have postponed Christmas until Monday as far as giving gifts is concerned.
Biggest game in LU history. :football
If we were playing SC instead of CCU, would this still be the "biggest game in LU history"?
Playing a SEC team in a bowl game, I'd have to say yes.
But with SC dropping out, I'm glad we didn't play them.
What you are saying is - all SEC schools, by their sheer membership in the SEC (not the team's record, not the team's merit) qualifies as the "biggest game in LU history" if Liberty plays them in a bowl.

So if South Carolina was 1-9 or even winless like Vanderbilt, it would still be the "biggest game in LU history", just because those teams are part of the SEC conference? You really believe that?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: December 24th, 2020, 4:57 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 24th, 2020, 3:54 pm
Geraldos Mustache wrote: December 24th, 2020, 2:15 pm

If we were playing SC instead of CCU, would this still be the "biggest game in LU history"?
Playing a SEC team in a bowl game, I'd have to say yes.
But with SC dropping out, I'm glad we didn't play them.
What you are saying is - all SEC schools, by their sheer membership in the SEC (not the team's record, not the team's merit) qualifies as the "biggest game in LU history" if Liberty plays them in a bowl.

So if South Carolina was 1-9 or even winless like Vanderbilt, it would still be the "biggest game in LU history", just because those teams are part of the SEC conference? You really believe that?
Not Vanderbilt, they have a girl on the team :lol:
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: December 24th, 2020, 6:34 pm Not Vanderbilt, they have a girl on the team :lol:
And she wears pants, so therefore ... A WITCH!
Last edited by PAmedic on December 24th, 2020, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LUDad
Let's burst their bubble and wipe away their sense of entitlement Saturday. They could very easily be 6-4 right now. It's not like they dominated everyone they played or that their SOS was awesome. He's disrespecting the Cure bowl and our matchup to say those thing right now.

Though I must say that I do want things going in the direction president was pointing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coastal-caroli ... 02317.html
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: December 24th, 2020, 9:16 pm
TH Spangler wrote: December 24th, 2020, 6:34 pm Not Vanderbilt, they have a girl on the team :lol:
And she wears pants, so therefore ... A WITCH!
Ha Ha. What is it, title 9? Does Vandy football count as a ladies sport now? Can we let our mens baseball homerun hitter pinch hit on the ladies softball team this season. What's next :lol: :lol:
By gerb
I take for granted how good a job Ian, HCHF and team do on communicating and creating content at least several times a week.

CCU puts almost nothing out. Can’t even find a Chadwell presser for the cure bowl. Maybe that’s typical for a G5...
By LUDad
gerb wrote: December 25th, 2020, 5:10 pm I take for granted how good a job Ian, HCHF and team do on communicating and creating content at least several times a week.

CCU puts almost nothing out. Can’t even find a Chadwell presser for the cure bowl. Maybe that’s typical for a G5...
Scroll down to bottom where videos are listed.

https://goccusports.com/news/2020/12/21 ... e-now.aspx
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:We really have no way to win this game. Actually, we should be honored simply to be able to step on the field with America's team.

https://goccusports.com/news/2020/11/2/ ... espnu.aspx
I could tell you it’s just a joke, but I guess my efforts would prove futile.
By LUDad
jbock13 wrote: December 25th, 2020, 7:04 pm
LUDad wrote:We really have no way to win this game. Actually, we should be honored simply to be able to step on the field with America's team.

https://goccusports.com/news/2020/11/2/ ... espnu.aspx
I could tell you it’s just a joke, but I guess my efforts would prove futile.
They are really good at providing bulletin board material... :D
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]