Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Just posting this before Haize points it out ...

Football Scoop wrote:According to a report this afternoon, there may be yet another school interested in bringing Art Briles back to college football.

After sharing earlier this week the report that there is growing support for Art Briles among a faction of Texas Tech boosters in the event that they move on from Matt Wells after two seasons, it appears the other school interested in looking at Briles is Liberty.
Seriously ...
In the event that Freeze were to leave Liberty for another opportunity (whether that be Auburn or elsewhere), Briles would be “a leading candidate” to replace him, Brett McMurphy tweets.

Liberty’s athletic director is Ian McCaw, who was the athletic director at Baylor while Briles was head coach. As of recent, Liberty has built a reputation as someplace where guys like McCaw and Freeze can go to rehab their public image. Briles, who spent the last few seasons as the head coach at Mount Vernon HS (TX), is certainly a figure who could use some of that type treatment as well following a very public scandal in Waco.

Over the last few years, McCaw has been very public in his opinion that Briles will be exonerated of his involvement of the alleged coverups of sexual assaults at Baylor, and has been critical of the school’s investigation that led to Briles’ dismissal in Waco.
Click Here for Full Story

You may recall that his son Kendal was mentioned as a candidate when Coach Freeze was hired.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
How does everyone feel about this? I really hope we don’t go this direction when HCHF leaves.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Unlike when we hired Coach Freeze when he was the best we could manage, we are now in a MUCH better position to attract a coach. As a result, I don't expect us to need to make a reach like this one.

On the flip side, the Coach Freeze experiment has been a smashing success. So I would never imply this is crazy talk.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I was thinking another Briles
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I really hope we don’t go that route. Overrated coach with a crap load of baggage.

HCHF put us in a great position to get a really good coach with no baggage and we got the finances to attract a successful G5 coach. Before we compare HCHF, one called hookers the one covered up rapes. Apples and oranges.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Kendal is wrapping up his 1st season as Arkansas OC. It marks his 5th school in as many seasons following stops at Baylor. Houston, FAU and Florida State.

I believe I have mentioned that I covered him in his playing days at both Texas and then Houston under his dad.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:03 pm Kendal is wrapping up his 1st season as Arkansas OC. It marks his 5th school in as many seasons following stops at Baylor. Houston, FAU and Florida State.

I believe I have mentioned that I covered him in his playing days at both Texas and then Houston under his dad.
Do we still have the Sly Fox Name drop thread? :D
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Briles would be excellent. Great for Malik as well.

On a side note, you'd have to think that Kent Austin would be in the mix as well. There's no way we keep him unless he's HC. As far as Malik goes, you'd have to think that he stays with either Briles or Austin. Those would be the two guys.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I think Freeze stays a few more years. BUT - if he left - I would welcome Briles...
By gerb
As soon as I saw Brett's tweet from "sources" i had to roll my eyes. Its obviously designed to re-energize the media created caricature of LU.
Liberty22 liked this
By chris leedlelee
I'm sorry; I'm just not buying this. This story is based upon two layers of speculation: 1) Hugh leaves LU 2) LU is interested in Briles. Gus Malzahn hasn't even cleaned out his office yet, but here we have such a long stretch of speculations. I see this as nothing more than clickbait and not so subtle LU shaming.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Never say never. I would love to see a Briles and Austin together. They would certainly turn this place into Quarterback U.

Austin likely goes with Freeze...but never say never.
By Jonathan Carone
You guys seem to hate McMurphy any time he says something you don't like and cling to things he says when it's pro-Liberty. He doesn't have an axe against Liberty. People tell him things. He reports it. It's how the media operates.

Here's what we know:

There's a group at Texas Tech trying to get their coach fired and Briles brought in:

The report adds that there is a group of Red Raiders boosters that is prepared to cover the $9 million buyout to part ways with Wells, the former head coach who was hired away from Utah State, after two seasons.
Source

Briles has be exonerated for a lot of his role at Baylor and it's been proven it was a systemic issue, not just one coach or one athletic director. (Source)

McCaw has said he thinks Briles would be exonerated:

"I think he's going to get largely exonerated," McCaw said of Briles. "I think people right now are saying, 'Holy cow, he's implicated in [covering up] all these sexual assaults and so forth.' I think the truth is going to be he comes out of the NCAA stuff clean."
Source

So one of three things is happening likely happening here:

1) Briles' agent is spreading this in order to help change public perception of Briles and make it look like multiple teams could be interested in him.

2) Texas Tech's boosters are spreading it for the same reason.

3) Ian is leaking it to check the temperature of a Briles hire.

All three of those are equal in likelihood and all dwarf the idea that Brett McMurphy would be trying to shame Liberty or re-energize a caricature of Liberty.
willflop, TallyW, Liberty22 liked this
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
TDDance234 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 12:44 pm It wouldn't surprise me to see Feunte gone from Tech shortly; and he get a look on the Mountain.
Ain't no way.
I'm not sure this is just a preference thing or there is some knowledge behind it; however, while Feunte has been a disaster at Tech, he has a serious history of leading prolific offenses in the past.
By Jonathan Carone
TDDance234 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote:
TDDance234 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 12:44 pm It wouldn't surprise me to see Feunte gone from Tech shortly; and he get a look on the Mountain.
Ain't no way.
I'm not sure this is just a preference thing or there is some knowledge behind it; however, while Feunte has been a disaster at Tech, he has a serious history of leading prolific offenses in the past.
You are correct in that. He also doesn’t seem to fit the Christian culture piece we’d be looking for.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Just saw this, but remember Texas Tech did their own investigation into the allegations against Briles and the investigation came back in full favor of Briles.

I think Texas Tech lands Briles.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]