Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By NeoFlame
Jonathan Carone wrote:There’s no way for BYU to get back to where they were. Anything NY6 is out for them.
NY6 was what they may have received if they won out -- I'm just talking about them trying to get back to where they are now (Top 15).
By Rubicon
I didn't get to see the game (ESPN Gamecast is very frustrating), but from what I "saw" toggling between Gamecast and the box score, this was a well-deserved win for Coastal. They stymied BYU's offense and ran the ball down BYU's throat. Disappointing for me as a BYU fan, but the games are played for a reason. Liberty had the ball on the final drive last year in Provo with a chance to win, too. The other team prepares for the game, too, and sometimes they plan and execute better.

In BYU-ville, the sky is falling, but I don't see it that way. We've only gone undefeated once; going undefeated is a truly magical season. And, the magical seasons don't come out of nowhere. 1984 for us was set up by several one or two loss seasons previously (the Nielson/McMahon/Wilson/Young) years, which "set the table" for the national championship year. Simply being a previously lowly-regarded team that goes undefeated out of nowhere doesn't do it --- in spades now, with the BCS/Playoff system that was set in place because of what BYU did. So, having a one-loss season, even during this Covid season, still can play a role in "setting the table," but you have to have the long view, not the instant gratification view. The exact same applies to Liberty, Coastal Carolina, Cincinnati, etc. Several solid seasons, with bowl wins over teams like Alabama and Oklahoma, have vaulted similar teams like Utah, Boise St., and TCU into prominence.

I really hope that Hugh Freeze stays at Liberty and doesn't seek the allure of P5. a) Liberty really gave him something when they hired him when he was persona non grata, and b) you become very special and legendary in situations like what he has right now. Not going to South Carolina, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc. And the people who really follow the program will love you forever.

Other BYU fans might look past Liberty in future years, but I won't. I'm a little more mature and philosophical than most of them are . . . :)

Long-term, when the whole system realigns, I'm not sure that Liberty and BYU will be welcome. It was a real eye-opener what happened with the Big 12 (BYU's stance on sex outside of marriage --- homo or hetero --- was the reason that arose). The Pac 12 hates BYU because of the woke liberalness of those West Coast institutions (and our arch rival, Utah, has strived to be our polar opposite in terms of secular-ness, secular humanism, etc. for many years).
Liberty22, tyndal23, chris leedlelee and 1 others liked this
By gerb
Ran across this post yesterday.
Only reason to watch college gameday today is to see if Corso calls the coastal chicken a cock on live television.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 11:30 am "So this will go down as one of the most devastating losses in BYU football history." Wow, they're really taking the loss hard.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/ ... ach-wilson
That’s because they view themselves as P5. So regardless of ranking they’re seeing it as a huge upset that a G5 beat them.
By Rubicon
rmiller1959 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 11:30 am "So this will go down as one of the most devastating losses in BYU football history." Wow, they're really taking the loss hard.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/12/ ... ach-wilson
Holy hyperbole, Batman!

No, this isn't one of the most devastating losses in BYU football history. We lost to a good team, on the road, during the Covid craziness, on very short notice with almost zero prep time for Coastal specifically.

To me being ahead of Utah by three touchdowns in the 4th quarter two years ago and choking is worse. Our rivals Utah have our number. We haven't beaten them for 10 years. Come to think of it, any loss to Utah is more devastating than this game . . . :)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I was hoping BYU would win, but it's evident CCU had a better game plan. I guess being home team allowed just enough preparation time to have an advantage. With a full week to prepare, I think BYU wins by 3 TDs.
By BlueBlood
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm Or, y’know, Coastal could be good.
CC is better than I thought they were. They are legit.

Oddly enough though, while I gained respect for them football-wise, I lost some respect for the program too.

The media has done a good job highlighting the program’s free spirit and fun. However, there is a darker dirty-play side there too that I think surprised a lot of us who were seeing CC for the first time.
Last edited by BlueBlood on December 6th, 2020, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kricket, flameshaw liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: December 6th, 2020, 4:20 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm Or, y’know, Coastal could be good.

Oddly enough though, while I gained respect for them football-wise, I lost some respect for the program too. The media has done a good job highlighting the program’s free spirit and fun. However, there is a darker dirty-play side there too that I think surprised a lot of us.
Weren’t there some academic irregularities at Chuck South when Chadwell was at the helm?
That darker side was no surprise if you followed Chadwell’s CSU teams. The problem with being so free spirited emotionally is sometimes it gets out of hand and you don’t reign it in the way you should. You saw that at times last night, especially with Gunter. He’s the only one that consistently took it too far physically. A few other guys were chirping a bit much but in a game like that, chirping is to be expected.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Chadwell didn't run a clean program at CSU. I would hope he has learned from his mistakes but I have my doubts. We also have a coach who doesn't have a clean record either so it is hard to bring too much criticism on him.

With that said, I dislike Coastal more now than ever after watching them play last night. They play dirty.

Just one man's opinion.
ballcoach15, Kricket liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 6th, 2020, 4:22 pm
BlueBlood wrote: December 6th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Oddly enough though, while I gained respect for them football-wise, I lost some respect for the program too. The media has done a good job highlighting the program’s free spirit and fun. However, there is a darker dirty-play side there too that I think surprised a lot of us.
Weren’t there some academic irregularities at Chuck South when Chadwell was at the helm?
Wasn't it something silly like the CSU bookstore allowing players to spend their left over book allowance on clothing sold there?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
IMO Chadwell is a punk. I talked to someone yesterday morning, that coached at NGU at the same time he was there, (in another sport), he shared my opinion.
Maybe has has changed since is CSU days, but I doubt it. I will say, he is a good coach, based on W-L's and will probably not be at CCU next year.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 6th, 2020, 9:12 pm IMO Chadwell is a punk. I talked to someone yesterday morning, that coached at NGU at the same time he was there, (in another sport), he shared my opinion.
Maybe has has changed since is CSU days, but I doubt it. I will say, he is a good coach, based on W-L's and will probably not be at CCU next year.
I dislike Chadwell...I remember his up and coming days when we played his NGU team. He does something right though, based on his record. I, for one, was impressed with Coastal. They do have a few punks on the team, but I think the attitude was part of the reason they beat BYU. Watching that game reminded me of those games back in the day when the smallish but fast FSU teams surprised the big cornbread fed Midwestern teams. That QB, too... Just a first year student. If they can keep Chadwell, for a while, they will be tough to beat.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 10:48 pm fast FSU teams surprised the big cornbread fed Midwestern teams.
Rogers, that is some good writing! You really know how to provide a good visual image. Definitely professor potential. Study
FWIW, Gunter is not a punk. He has not played like that all year. He was obviously fired up for the game, and the beginning of the block on Zach Wilson with Gallagher and Gunter, IMO, was fine, but after they took him down they should have stopped. The stuff after that should have been flagged, but this is the same ref crew that blew a call when the BYU WR was out of bounds and they never even reviewed it AND did not check with the timekeeper on the 10 second run off on the holding penalty on BYU to start the last drive. The ref apparently said it but the timekeeper never heard him so it wasn't deducted.

I am not sticking up for Gunter, just giving my opinion.
Liberty22 liked this
"Let CCU get beat pretty good by BYU."

"I might not normally root for #BYU, but on Saturday, #Beat Coastal"

"BYU fans, most of us will be Cougars on Saturday. BEAT COASTAL."

"I’m rooting for BYU - especially since I’m still holding onto hope that if BYU wins, they might want to schedule us on 12/19."

"Can't wait to see the plan unfold. BYU beats Coastal, we grab a game with BYU and beat them. Cinn loses playoff game and we are in conversation for NY6."

"Earlier in week, I heard a game with BYU was good possibility .but now I don't think it is."

"Rubicon, most Flame Fans are Cougars today. BEAT COASTAL."

"I'm pulling for BYU, but I think LU could beat both of them."

"Hope BYU wins closely contested game."

"Coastal is a bunch of thugs."

"First time I have watched Coastal since the FCS days and the dislike I have for them is still stronger than ever. Everything they do just makes me angry. It isn't always even rational. Then they start playing dirty and now I just want BYU to embarrass them the rest of the way. I don't think it'll happen but it is what I want."

"This looks like our NC State game."

"I think we beat either one of these teams."

"It's been a good game. Full strength, I believe we would have won."

"It's looking like CCU is going to get the upset. Incredible."

"We would've caused a lot of problems for CCU."

Delusion 101 for $500, Alex!!! Have a great season. You should hope we don't see you in a bowl game. #AmericasTeam
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]