Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The last thread kind of got out of control so let's keep this focused on Symons. He will get looks this year for sure. What do you all think his future holds at LU?
ballcoach15, CCWMichael liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
The improvement in our defense is immense compared to two years ago. Coach Freeze admitted that he's not a D coach so you have to give coach Symon's the credit. Hope we can keep him but he deserves looks as a head coach. I trust coach Freeze to find another top notch assistant if that happens.

PS - thanks for the reset on this topic Postman.
CCWMichael, Liberty22 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
He will be on a lot of "radar screens" when jobs come open, but I hope he's here a long time.

Not only is he a good coach, he has a dynamic personality, that many coaches don't have, and he's good "in front of camera".
By LoneStar
At this point, I think the poor strength of schedule (LU at 107 out of 128) will hurt him for open jobs this offseason. If he is offered a HC job or a more prestigious DC job, will it be at a directional school or a major program? My guess is it would be a directional school. Is a HC job at Eastern/Western XYZ better than DC at LU?

My hope has been that Symons continues to improve LU and at the point Freeze gets offered a job he can't turn down (Bama when Saban retires? Texas when they fire Herman?), that Symons steps in as HC.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Most schools now seem to lean towards offensive gurus as head coach. Now granted there are some exceptions. DC at LU under Freeze is probably better than anything at a directional school.
By Class of 20Something
Things to consider.

Does Symons want to be a HC? @CCWMichael touched on it. Being a career DC essentially guarantees a pretty good standard of living without the stress of being THE guy at a program. Hang around with Freeze, stay or go, isn't a terrible career move. Plenty of people have had quiet but great careers hitching their wagon to the right guy.

Are there enough Defensive HC schools out there? Liberty is spoiled offensively now. We cannot switch back to being a defensive team.

Here is a question that I think is an individual answer. There isn't a right or wrong. Would you rather Head Coach an elite FCS program like NDSU and JMU or rather a lower to mid tier G5 program (Charlotte to Ball State)?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Hes good but batoon has helped this year as well. As mentioned previously most schools are looking for offensive guys. Hes more likely to be looked at by an existing hc that makes a change at DC. However the hc is the next guy to get whacked if it doesn't work. Also he's been given bumps when hf has as well from what I've heard. I think he's hitched to a good wagon with freeze.

Were sitting in a good spot with him and batoon.
ballcoach15, CCWMichael liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Risewithus wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:24 pm With today's news, anyway he would get a look right here.
I don't think Ian would consider that. He's a great coach don't get me wrong, but that's not the route that I believe Ian will consider. The question is will be stay if Freeze leaves?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Absolutely he would be considered. When you have a young DC that is rising in stature we would be fools not to at least investigate it.

Too early to go down this road though.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]