Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Logic wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 1:11 pm Really hope the staff got raises along with HF with the latest contract extension - specifically Symons. His halftime adjustments were spot on - the defensive was incredible. He’s the staff MVP of the year IMHO. The defense has given us an opportunity to win all 9 games on our schedule thus far.
Symons is a great D Coordinator. VERY impressed with him, even before this game. Especially with the adjustments he made at halftime.
ballcoach15, LU 57 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
No, don't think so at all. We didn't play well in the first half, in fact awful. We were being blown off the line and gave up a lot of yards on the ground (wanting to say 154).
It was for sure the best adjustments that we have made at halftime. Looked like a totally different team in the 2nd half. -13 yards rushing in the 3rd. Controlled rush, contained the QB and strung out the outside runs.
Had several chances to win, but the O just didn't step up last night. Funny thing, I wasn't worried about the O, but they laid a big turd and had very bad play calling.
Kricket liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:01 am Much easier to play the role of underdog. Have to learn to play as favorites. That’s the next step in the development of the program. We’re not there yet.

You only win or lose by one point anyway. The rest don’t matter.
We were the underdogs. -3.5- 4
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:28 am FWIW, Babir was waaaaaay too slow getting that kick off. It was not the line's fault IMO. You could see it happening. I fully expected the kick to be blocked, just as he kicked it. Oh, well. This may help us beat CCU.
I thought the same thing. He walked into the kick way too deliberately and slowly and the kicked it low like he was kicking a 60 yarder. Shedro could have jumped and blocked that kick :(
flameshaw liked this
By LUDad
HF made right decision to go for field goal at end of game. Defense was holding State in check, Kicker won us a game with long fg under pressure and we had already had 3 turnovers. If we had made the fg everyone would be praising the brilliant play calling.

We played a physical p5 team at their place who has a winning record despite playing a number of ranked team and almost won. Getover it.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:HF made right decision to go for field goal at end of game. Defense was holding State in check, Kicker won us a game with long fg under pressure and we had already had 3 turnovers. If we had made the fg everyone would be praising the brilliant play calling.

We played a physical p5 team at their place who has a winning record despite playing a number of ranked team and almost won. Getover it.
Not when you give the other team 1:24 left to march down the field and win the game regardless.
sstaedtler liked this
By LUDad
Mack Brown was asked if he regretted the call to go for 2 to beat Clemson. He said absolutely not. Analytics show he had less than a 10% chance to be Clemson but they also showed that he had a 40% chance of beating them on this one play. He said he would take those odds any day.

ESPN analytics show we had less than a 30 % chance of beating State and were presented with an opportunity to beat a strong P5 team with just a minute to go in the game with our defense playing great. It simply did not work out. Had we been more aggressive and had and an interception, or a sack taking us out of field goal range, or a fumble, people would have been complaining about not playing conservative before going for the FG (pointing out that the aggressive call in the first half did not pan-out). It's really a no win situation for HF unless the kick is executed.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 6:38 pm
LUDad wrote:HF made right decision to go for field goal at end of game. Defense was holding State in check, Kicker won us a game with long fg under pressure and we had already had 3 turnovers. If we had made the fg everyone would be praising the brilliant play calling.

Not when you give the other team 1:24 left to march down the field and win the game regardless.
Watching the game again...there should not have been 1:24 left. When Malik Willis competed the pass to the 26 yard line and the receiver fell in bounds with 2:21 left...NC State was offsides...but LU declined the penalty to keep the play. If I understand the ncaa rulebook...LU should have been able to choose to run the clock...but the ref said the clock will start on the snap...it should have started when the ball was placed ready for play. NC State basically got a free timeout...and if you look at the LU sideline at least one lu coach was making a winding motion. If the clock runs correctly there...NC State would have had about 52 seconds with no timeouts when they took over...not 1:24. Not that it makes a difference...but if your Freeze and you're planning plays in your mind after that completion...you probably are counting on the clock running when they spot the ball after the declined penalty....and you're thinking in your head...they will have less than a minute with no timeouts...but that clock not running gave them a bunch of extra time. It didnt matter because the kick was blocked. But it could have mattered.

And the whole idea of sec 7.1 in the rulebook is a defensive player can't go offsides simply to stop the clock. If I understand it correctly. Maybe Im wrong. Just a weird thing I noticed. It did not affect the outcome of the game...but it definatly could have played into the thinking that we run this three times and kick it.
CCWMichael liked this
That crew had a ton of missed calls.

The safety didn't have forward progress. The runners feet crossed the goal line. I challenge any of you to show me how he can run with the ball behind his feet.

The offsetting personal fouls that were 2-1.

Running clock.

And there were still some egregious holds uncalled. The kind where you're sure the flag was thrown out of view and in disbelief nothing was called.

The refs lost control of the game early and it let State play across the line of being decent.

I disagree with y'all about Hugh changing his playcalling a ton and costing us the game. We aren't in that game if we try our normal offense. If you didn't notice, there wasn't a pocket most plays, and when there was, our wide receivers were being concussed.

I also want to point out a large number of states penalty yardage was coaxed. There were a few times were we knew they would be chippy, or drew a false start/offsides. I have to credit our team with earning at least a third of their penalty yards.

States defense played great, ours did too.

Lastly, we get to go-to Coastal without them getting to play undefeated spoiler. We also go there after having played three ACC schools. They don't have a prayer of being bigger and badder than any of the three we played.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I would have never imagined while I was a student that Liberty would ever be this competitive at the highest level in such a short amount of time. Regardless of what happens this offseason, whether or not Hugh is here, we have become more than an upstart independent program and I'm excited to have at least a little recognition on a national level.
CCWMichael liked this
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:22 pm Being okay with the field goal and not forcing it into the end zone was the right call, but giving up on getting closer and just running three straight inside runs wasn’t the right call at all.
State was eating our perimeter game up. Lost a ton of yardage trying to get to the edge. And I don't think you pass in this situation, especially since MW was throwing high much of the game. Had our first two runs picked up 8 yards, I am sure HF would have gone for the 1st down on the third attempt. Did not, so the third attempt was simply to center the ball for the FG kick.
CCWMichael liked this
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 11:18 am With as many times as we’d drawn them offsides on pass plays, I think it was worth it to try it at least once.

I get that it’s easy to say that while watching from my bed.
Yeah, but with MW barely passing at a 40% clip with 3 picks already, I think a passing play in that situation, especially when sitting at FG range already, would be a head-scratcher.
flameshaw liked this
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I think thw whole clock situation with it not rolling affected the first down play call. The sideline coaches were trying to say...why is the clock not running? But the playclock still was.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 5:02 pm With NC State going all out for the block, if I had been calling plays, I would have called for a fake FG.
Says the "coach" who's bff says he was overpaid as a volunteer. :roll: So I guess if HF is worth 3 million a year, they shoud hire you for 4 million?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 5:02 pm With NC State going all out for the block, if I had been calling plays, I would have called for a fake FG.
:nono Stick to softball, Ballcoach.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 6:20 pm
Says the "coach" who's bff says he was overpaid as a volunteer. :roll: So I guess if HF is worth 3 million a year, they shoud hire you for 4 million?
We don’t call him #fraudcoach for nothin!
By sstaedtler
badger74 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:43 pm My thoughts exactly. Dont give up on Malik making a play.
Especially late in the game, that is when defenses get tired. Much easier for a quarterback to make a play scrambling. See Russell Wilson wait to do it in 4th quarter all the time.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]