Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By rtb72
I could have taken the loss a lot better had it not been for how dirty they played. I hope this makes them hungry and we leave with some lessons learned. Coastal will be tougher than this....
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm still proud of this team but this one stings.

I'm not sure why HF got so vanilla on offense but that is exactly what we got tonight.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I’ll say it.

HF cost us this game.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’m not sure why we had to run between the tackles so much, but I know HF changed his play-calling in the 2nd half because of how bad Willis was in the 1st. He said as much in his post-half interview. Probably felt he had to go vanilla. But you can’t play for the FG there.
By rtb72
thepostman wrote: November 21st, 2020, 11:56 pm I'm still proud of this team but this one stings.

I'm not sure why HF got so vanilla on offense but that is exactly what we got tonight.
HCHF and the entire team will learn and have some take aways from this. We played our worst game of the year, still covered the spread and had a chance to win this game. NC State goes away with the win...but they doggone well know they were in a game and could have easily lost. Anyway, it's over, park it in the history books, and let's get ready for UMass and CCU. Go Flames!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 21st, 2020, 11:57 pm NC State chanting “overrated” after beating Liberty by one point on a missed field goal is such a strange feeling.

I’m frustrated we played like doo doo and lost.

I’m amazed we played like doo doo and only lost by one.
Yeah. They are lucky to get out of there with a 1 point win with how badly they played.

Of course we are also lucky we only loss by 1 with how badly we played.

HF will have a lot of regrets on this one I'm sure.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Much easier to play the role of underdog. Have to learn to play as favorites. That’s the next step in the development of the program. We’re not there yet.

You only win or lose by one point anyway. The rest don’t matter.
By LikeLU
Became way too dependent on setting up for and relying on the field goal at the end there instead of trying to score a td to clinch the game or at least get closer. 37 yd field goal isn’t a gimme in college and even if he makes it would have left time on the clock for ncst
HesterChester11 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
It feels like we went into this game trying not to lose instead of trying to win. I think Freeze swung the tempo pendulum too far in this game. I get not wanting to go too fast and wanting to limit possessions, but we didn’t have a rhythm at all tonight.
jmclaughlin liked this
By tyndal23
Anyone scouting this game knew the edges were a no go - they were vulnerable between the tackles and even more so between the guards - rushing play calling sucked - HFcouldnt have anticipated MW being jittery but still...d played their jerk off. That team with our staff wins 100 out of 100 games. Lucky to be within a point.
By Jonathan Carone
Terrible 4th and 1 in the first half.

Horrible play call that led to the safety.

Gutless series to try and not score a TD at the end of the game.

All of those are on the play caller.

Hugh Freeze is an incredible coach and I’m thankful to have him, but he had his worst game on our sidelines tonight.
LUOrange, jinxy, Kricket and 1 others liked this
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
My post-game thoughts. I didn’t get to see the whole game, but from what I saw...

1) We are fine. It hurts and sucks bad, but big picture this season is still in tact and has exceeded ALL expectations.
2) I’d advise chilling on the Freeze or Malik lost us the game. Look deeper and you’ll see that (1) Freeze had to try to keep some balance and also was dealing with a defensive scheme that really suffocated our best assets. By that I mean (2) Willis was pressured fairly quickly by a front four that everyone knew would be tough without NCST having to send loads of extra bodies. This means they could afford to have one or two players spying Willis and the others having good coverage. Willis was off on his throws, no getting around that, but he’s used to being able to do something with his legs, but due to the points above that option was mostly limited. Even one deep ball hit there in the second half and we are still likely undefeated.
3) The final offensive play call isn’t as crazy as it seems. One broken tackle and we are in good shape if my memory serves me correctly. Willis has three picks, hasn’t been able to do much with his feet, and passes aren’t a sure thing. That play call gave us a great chance to stay alive in the game, maybe get a first, and if not stay in best case scenario FG position. Barbir makes the kick and how concerned are we with that play call.

I know most of you will disagree with most or all of the above, but just the way I see it all. Bottom line is we are still in excellent shape. Still in great position to finish 10-1 which even the most positive wouldn’t have expected. Also we get a game for Malik and others that will be back next year to take A TON of lessons from and use as motivation to work harder and realize there is always a tremendous amount to improve on. Hurts, more for them than us, on to the next one!
Just John, jimflamesfan liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
That was the worst coached game of the freeze era by a mile. Not kicking the fg early proved costly. I dont hate going for it but i hated the play call. It also would have given barbir confidence to draw on.

The last drive. That was just malpractice. Since when do we ever rely on a 40 yard field goal and leave time on the clock. Terrible blocking by the way on the kick. Thats gotta be addressed.

I also dont understand why we never use timeouts on the defensive side. Felt like several times we didnt even contest tds because the were so gassed

What a tragedy for offensive coach like freeze and a qb as dynamic as willis to waste such a defensive performance against a p5 opponent like that.
LUOrange liked this
By Jonathan Carone
stokesjokes wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:15 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:07 am Terrible 4th and 1 in the first half.
Do we know if that was an option? Obviously it was too cute for the situation, but the WR running the reverse had all green in front of him, I wonder if Willis just misread it.
Given how cute we’ve gotten in other situations like that, I’m going to say it wasn’t an option.
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:17 am I’m switching to positives:

If NCSU just doesn’t screw up the rest of the way, we could go down with our only loss being a one point loss to an 8-3 ACC team on the road.
We could end the season 10-1 and ranked before we even have a full team of FBS guys.
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
Btw, let’s not stop the whole “I love my kicker” stuff and the Freeze/Willis love. Just as we expect our players and coaches at Liberty to be different I’d hope we expect ourselves as a fan base to be different as well and show love even in the midst of lows within an extreme high season. They don’t need us on social media letting them know they lost or ragging too hard, they have literally everyone else in the country to do that. Just my two cents, again many here won’t care for it which is what it is.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]