Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
NCSU won that game on the D line. They put pressure on our QB with just 3 lineman rushing. That was huge. Kept MW from running well and allowed #11 to spy on Malik very effectively.
In addition the O play calling was horrible. Not a good night for HF.
Worst game of the year by far.
Even if we would have won on that FG, I would not have voted for us in the top 25. We aren't there yet. Yes, we were overrated.
By Jonathan Carone
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:21 am Btw, let’s not stop the whole “I love my kicker” stuff and the Freeze/Willis love. Just as we expect our players and coaches at Liberty to be different I’d hope we expect ourselves as a fan base to be different as well and show love even in the midst of lows within an extreme high season. They don’t need us on social media letting them know they lost or ragging too hard, they have literally everyone else in the country to do that. Just my two cents, again many here won’t care for it which is what it is.
I think we can be disappointed and point out bad play while still being supportive.

Malik had a terrible game. He’s still a great QB.

Freeze had some giant mistakes. He’s still a great coach.

Blind support is no support at all.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
If you had told me before the season we'd be 8-1 going into Thanksgiving i would've taken it in a heartbeat. We all knew a game like this would happen. It is time to learn from this and move on. Freeze will own his mistakes and learn from them and continue to help us improve.

That is all I can keep telling myself to help this loss sting less.
By LUOrange
I agree, the 4th and 1 call and the safety call were bad. What was worse was running the ball so we could kick, rather than trying to score a TD or get more yardage and burn more clock for a closer FG. I also thought that we should've gone more up tempo towards the end of the Third. I think Malik and Co. could've moved the ball a lot better, like at the end of the 2nd quarter.

This one hurts, because I really didn't like NC State. They played dirty.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Also, I knew little about NC State before this game but I don't like the way they play at all. Not disciplined at all and pretty reckless. Borderline dirty. We are lucky to leave there without any serious injuries.
TH Spangler liked this
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I am not upset with this game. Our offense was off tonight. Our defense regrouped at the half and played their hearts out to keep us in it. As far the last fg...It was 3rd and 6th and Mack almost broke through and got the first down. Just got tripped up...with the way our D was playing...we make the 39 yard fg we win. Just missed it.
Also...the best news is Coastal beat Appy State. So Coastal will still be ranked in the top 15. So LU will drop out if the top 25. But if we take care of Umass. And Coastal takes care of busness next weekmm.we will be playing a ranked Coastal for a chance to end the year in the top 25. (I think if we finish the year with two power five wins and a top 25 win...we will finish in thw top 25. Maybe like 24th. Just a guess. It can still happen.). I just can't be upset at any of the coaching, qb, or team at this point.
FLAMEfromBAMA liked this
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:24 am
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:21 am Btw, let’s not stop the whole “I love my kicker” stuff and the Freeze/Willis love. Just as we expect our players and coaches at Liberty to be different I’d hope we expect ourselves as a fan base to be different as well and show love even in the midst of lows within an extreme high season. They don’t need us on social media letting them know they lost or ragging too hard, they have literally everyone else in the country to do that. Just my two cents, again many here won’t care for it which is what it is.
I think we can be disappointed and point out bad play while still being supportive.

Malik had a terrible game. He’s still a great QB.

Freeze had some giant mistakes. He’s still a great coach.

Blind support is no support at all.
Without a doubt. I don’t mean poop cupcakes and rainbows, but also some of the immediate stuff I’ve seen by Liberty fans already on social media are beyond what I’d consider appropriate. That’s not a post for everyone, but certainly for some. Also it’s always a good reminder to take a second and ask ourselves why we don’t get paid 3 Mil a year to coach a football team.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:26 am I agree, the 4th and 1 call and the safety call were bad. What was worse was running the ball so we could kick, rather than trying to score a TD or get more yardage and burn more clock for a closer FG. I also thought that we should've gone more up tempo towards the end of the Third. I think Malik and Co. could've moved the ball a lot better, like at the end of the 2nd quarter.

This one hurts, because I really didn't like NC State. They played dirty.
I usually pull for State in ACC games. But after watching this game, not sure I ever will again, except when they play the Tarholes.
LUOrange, thepostman liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I wish he would’ve called quick hitters so Malik could’ve gotten in a rhythm. Help free up some running lanes but he’ll learn from it. Crazy to think we beat 2 acc teams, lost by one point to another with a roster filled with FCS players.

Sucks we lost but I’m not upset about it. Team is going to be scary good next year.
Last edited by ballah09 on November 22nd, 2020, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We gotta clean up fg kicking. That left side has been weak all year and has flameshaw said barbir was slow to develop. I know he “can” make the fg. However, that unit has been way too inconsistent to rely on that from 40.
LUOrange liked this
By sstaedtler
I did not like Hugh Freeze playing for the field goal on 3rd and 6. Even if you make it, you give NC State 1:24 to come back and get a FG on their own. Not a good night at all for Hugh Freeze. Willis did not have a good night either. It is really hard to win when you can't run the ball.

The defense played their best game of the year. Durrell Johnson and even Aakil Washington made plays. Treadwell and the rest of the secondary had a great night.

Overall, Freeze had a bad night, but he's not playing with a full deck. These are part FCS players. Can't wait for him to have two more recruiting cycles.
Last edited by sstaedtler on November 22nd, 2020, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LUOrange liked this
LUOrange wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 12:38 am Welp, there goes our NY6 Bowl.
The reality that this was even a conversation on college football podcasts, shows and on our forum is incredible to think about. Here we are 3 seasons removed from a 6-5 final season of FCS ball and we are 22-12 in FBS with a bowl win, 3 straight weeks in top 25 and a 10 game win streak that was snapped in a 1 point loss to NC State.

As much as I wanted to win this game and how disappointed I was in how it ended. I am thankful that in 3 years of FBS we have accomplished things I would've never dreamed of.

Time to light'em up next week at home and then beat the crap out of Coastal.
Dalegarz1, flamehunter, LU 57 and 4 others liked this
By CCWMichael
Tough loss. Not taking three on our first drive into the red zone is my big tick from this game but we have done stuff like this all year.
Turnovers are tough to overcome yet, we almost did it.
We need to get to Coastal and beat them down. All I am reading is well we were playing soft opposition and this loss confirms this.
Every team has some rough ones and I wanted this but all in all we DID NOT QUIT! This was not Saint Francis.
This team is solid and we will rebound.
By jmclaughlin
My thoughts leading up to this game were that without the play of Willis, we are an average football team. I saw him as 80% of of our reason for success. I was wrong! We absorbed an abysmal QB performance and still had a chance to win. No one saw our Defense keeping us in the game but it did. The adjustments we were able to make at halftime shows the capability of our D. This one stings because those of us watching and analyzing the rise of this program see the opportunity lost. However, we are a legit program and this loss proves we can be competitive even in bad games. Regroup. Blow the doors off UMASS while resting Malik and company in the second half. Come out and make a statement against the fighting chickens on 12/5 and we are still a decade ahead of schedule. Light Em Up!
Last edited by jmclaughlin on November 22nd, 2020, 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
CCWMichael, LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Even first half I was wondering what sorcery our D Coordinator came up with to take away all the passing lanes for them. Just incredible D. Easy to second guess after it’s over. And Barbir was late on the kick ( whoever said it - I 100% agree ).
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Courageous game! To play what was by far not our sharpest game of the year, and to still have a chance to win in the final minute shows the character of our players and coaches. N.C. State has been playing football since 1892 and the coach is in his 8th year in that program. From my seat 8 rows up, on the 50 yard line, behind the home team bench, the advantage in depth and athleticism was apparent, but our guys didn't flinch. Particularly on defense. This was a team that shredded Miami, UVA and Fla State for 38+ points and our guys put up a heck of a fight. Offensively, I thought that playing on grass negated our speed a little and the ability to cut like we are used to. Several times I saw Malik and receivers lose their footing. I think this was our first game on grass. Nevertheless, still a chance in the final minute against a quality P5 team on their home field. For all the things good and not so good that happened Saturday on the field, I was more impressed this past week the national exposure for the University. Every Coach and player on radio or TV was a sincere and articulate ambassador for LU and the cause of Christ. For all the athletic and coaching prowess that they have attained this year, these guys have literally brought tears to my eyes in portraying Liberty as a place of redemption and grace, and a place where athletes and students can come and achieve their highest aspirations in Christ. They are a salve on the recent wounds and I couldn't be more proud of them.
By Logic
Really hope the staff got raises along with HF with the latest contract extension - specifically Symons. His halftime adjustments were spot on - the defensive was incredible. He’s the staff MVP of the year IMHO. The defense has given us an opportunity to win all 9 games on our schedule thus far.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]