Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CinciFlame
Registration Days Posts
Let's say we beat WCU and UMASS and split with NC State and CC? That would put us at 10-1. What's the best bowl we can expect? I think it hurts us that bowl games can pick any team this year regardless of record, but at 10-1 I would expect a better bowl than one that we have ties with. I hate to have this type of season and end of playing Miami of Ohio in a bowl game.
Liberty22 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
As I have posted many times before, bowl tie ins suck. Many of them make zero sense. Why would any bowl want the 8th place team from ACC or conference USA ? Especially a northern team venturing down south. Keep teams in their geographical footprint, as much as possible.

I'd love to see LU go to Gator bowl or Peach Bowl, or whatever that bowl is called now
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Because bowls exist for one reason: to make money. If the 8th Place team from the ACC Has a fan base that historically travels better than the 2nd place team from the AAC, you better believe the bowl will select VT over Memphis.

That is why it’s important to remember bowl tie-ins are for SELECTION ORDER, not order of finish or record.

WVU used to leap-frog often in bowl selections over Big East deadbeats like VT and BC because their fan base traveled so much better.
SumItUp liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 9th, 2020, 1:10 pm WVU used to leap-frog often in bowl selections over Big East deadbeats like VT and BC because WVU fans can't load up their pickup trucks and leave the state soon enough.
FIFY
ballcoach15 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
You’re not wrong. And to destinations like Jacksonville, Phoenix, Tucson, New Orleans, Miami, Charlotte - who can blame them.

(Those are just some of the ones I went to.)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Don't know if you all caught the news or not but the Pac-12 has announced that their members require a winning record to go bowling. That thins out the herd at least slightly.

In answer to your initial inquiry, unless we are 11-0 and have some help come our way (hello NY6) then we are likely at a midweek ESPN bowl regardless of our record. jk37 speaks truth in regards to bowl selection. That's why the only way we go to a bowl game west of Texas will be if we are playing BYU in Boise or SoCal. I suspect we will end up in a random bowl against a G5 opponent.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We have above us in our way to a NY6 berth:

7 Cincinnati
8 BYU
15 Coastal Carolina
16 Marshall
19 SMU

Cincinnati has a couple of potential trip-ups ahead of them but are highly favored in al remaining games. BYU has two cakewalks left in their schedule so unless we schedule a game with them then they are all but assured to be undefeated as the regular season concludes.

In other words we are likely going to be in one of the assortment of games. I will be surprised if we get a P5 or AAC opponent but it remains a reasonable strong possibility.
thepostman liked this
By Have_a_Gansett_2011
My understanding is that we aren’t eligible for the G5 auto bid in the NY6 because it requires a team to be their conference champion. Our best bet is to be a convincing 11-0 and hope for an at large bid.
aj7 liked this
By LUDad
Sly Fox wrote: November 9th, 2020, 4:52 pm We have above us in our way to a NY6 berth:

7 Cincinnati
8 BYU
15 Coastal Carolina
16 Marshall
19 SMU

Cincinnati has a couple of potential trip-ups ahead of them but are highly favored in al remaining games. BYU has two cakewalks left in their schedule so unless we schedule a game with them then they are all but assured to be undefeated as the regular season concludes.

In other words we are likely going to be in one of the assortment of games. I will be surprised if we get a P5 or AAC opponent but it remains a reasonable strong possibility.
Would it behove us to play BYU this year? If both BYU and Cinninnatti win out, BYU has no chance to leapfrog Cinninnatti to gain NY6 bowl with current schedules. I bet they would jump at a chance to play us, especially if we beat NC State. Beating us may put them over the top. Conversely, if we win out (big if), and beat BYU (even bigger if) we would have a legit claim to the NY6 bowl. We could treat BYU as our "playoff" game.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 11th, 2020, 7:40 pm CBS Sports has us projected to Montgomery Bowl to play UAB.
I think that's a December 23 bowl game.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
You are correct. Also the Camellia Bowl will be played in Montgomery on December 25th.

No better place to spend Christmas than in Alabama.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: November 11th, 2020, 9:02 pm I could conjure a few other places.

Bahamas or Myrtle Beach???
By LUDad
I believe a Cinderella matchup with a decent P5 team would more casual viewers, hence higher ratings vs a hohum match between two middle of the road p5's.
By LUaddict
Registration Days Posts
I know Marshall is ranked and doing well, but what a Yawn Bowl that would be. A bowl against a P5 would be great, maybe it can have that Boise State effect on our program, similar to when they beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. For our sake, I hope we have a higher ceiling than Boise has had, but we have at least a decade of winning seasons at the FBS level before we can even sniff anything to their success. Maybe being independent will help us out in exposure because our ability to schedule and not tied a mid tier MW conference schedule.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]