Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Tnobes
Racenut wrote: January 26th, 2023, 10:35 am Some of you guys are truly delusional about the HCHF's time on the mountain. In fact, I would say that your constant level of disparagement of the University, the football program and the strides taken during his tenure is only exceeded by the lofty evaluation of your own opinion. I have had acquaintances in high school and college gym classes who shared the same trait, only to find that it was a defense mechanism to make up for other shortcomings only to be revealed in the showers. The "chubby, dorky kid" you referred to, whether it be academics or the athletic programs, both have made strides unimaginable just a few short years ago and this is in large part, because of the people God has chosen to send here. Including an incredibly gifted Athletic Director and Coaches.
I found Coach Freeze to be quite engaging and acutely aware of the balance required given the unique mission of this University, all while putting a product on the field that advanced light years in four short years. Get serious gentlemen, from losing to Presbyterian to beating Arkansas on their homecoming, that does not happen without total commitment to recruiting, to development, to coaching and a total buying in by players, coaches and the administration. I was particularly impressed when the media put a microphone in front of any player or coach, they were great ambassadors for LU (you might try being one as well). Despite his last few weeks of awkwardness, in large part brought on because of a flawed NCAA timetable, HCHF never displayed to me any sort of the aloofness that you constantly refer to. If he was a "used car salesman", I'm buying from him anytime.
From what I can tell, Coach Chadwell looks to be a great hire and I'm behind him 100%. I hope that he will be fortunate enough to "keep us afloat" for a long time.
Maybe some of you could be positive and buy some of that "snake oil". You might enjoy the ride.
To the SEC fan base Hugh Freeze is a punchline. He did good here, could have been fantastic if not for the late season collapses he seemed to make his trademark. I fully expect chadwell to build on what is already here and improve even more. I expect freeze to last 3 years at Auburn before Auburn runs him out because Auburn is Auburn and will never be LSU, Alabama or Georgia even though they think they are
By Tnobes
Tnobes wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:28 am

This is great, and a little dig at HCHF in it that made me laugh.
"You hired Hugh Freeze?"
"Aaaaaahhhhhh......."
By LU 57
Racenut wrote: January 26th, 2023, 10:35 am Some of you guys are truly delusional about the HCHF's time on the mountain. In fact, I would say that your constant level of disparagement of the University, the football program and the strides taken during his tenure is only exceeded by the lofty evaluation of your own opinion. I have had acquaintances in high school and college gym classes who shared the same trait, only to find that it was a defense mechanism to make up for other shortcomings only to be revealed in the showers. The "chubby, dorky kid" you referred to, whether it be academics or the athletic programs, both have made strides unimaginable just a few short years ago and this is in large part, because of the people God has chosen to send here. Including an incredibly gifted Athletic Director and Coaches.
I found Coach Freeze to be quite engaging and acutely aware of the balance required given the unique mission of this University, all while putting a product on the field that advanced light years in four short years. Get serious gentlemen, from losing to Presbyterian to beating Arkansas on their homecoming, that does not happen without total commitment to recruiting, to development, to coaching and a total buying in by players, coaches and the administration. I was particularly impressed when the media put a microphone in front of any player or coach, they were great ambassadors for LU (you might try being one as well). Despite his last few weeks of awkwardness, in large part brought on because of a flawed NCAA timetable, HCHF never displayed to me any sort of the aloofness that you constantly refer to. If he was a "used car salesman", I'm buying from him anytime.
From what I can tell, Coach Chadwell looks to be a great hire and I'm behind him 100%. I hope that he will be fortunate enough to "keep us afloat" for a long time.
Maybe some of you could be positive and buy some of that "snake oil". You might enjoy the ride.
Dude, it’s a discussion board. It wouldn’t be very interesting if everyone agreed all of the time.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 25th, 2023, 3:25 pm When HF was first hired, I thought it was a bad hire. Then over time, he had me buying in. I don't know why I fell for it. I should've just stuck to my gut. The dude is a used car salesmen. Always has been and always will be. He kept us afloat during our transition but it has become pretty clear his heart was never fully in it. Which we all kind of guessed towards the end but it still stings a bit when you hear him saying stuff like this.
I came back to this a few times over the past few years, but a lot of people took our success as proof that HF had changed from his Ole Miss days. The fact is, we always knew he was going to win. He tried to sell us on more than that, some of us bought it, and that was enough image repair to land him the next gig. I'm not faulting HF for being himself, but I'd rather have someone genuinely invested in the school and its mission.

From my perspective, our time with HF was strictly transactional. We got what we wanted in quick success and national recognition, he got what we wanted in image repair to make him tolerable to the big leagues again.
By LUOrange
Most of you who have posted are being ridiculous. The Man did great here with the FCS talent that was here and then the talent her brought in. Sure the last 2 Novembers stunk record wise and obviously they coincided with his pursuit of other jobs. But oh well, that's the "Big Boy College Football" that some of you say and many others forget. The Man's dream and aspiration was to be an SEC Head Coach and it was his goal to get back there. More power to him and good for him. Many of you obviously have never lost your professional identities before and it shows.

He's gone. You don't have to root for him at Auburn. Get over him and focus on Chadwll and Co, you know, OUR Coaches.
Last edited by LUOrange on January 27th, 2023, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JK37 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LU will always be a place where at least some think the calling should be for life. Just as Big Boy Football is what it is, so too is this always just going to be a part of what Liberty is.

All fan bases have their crazies. And at LU, we all congregate here! :lol:
LUOrange liked this
By rtb72
No secret, I wasn't a fan of how he left, but that should not negate what he did for LU. I've always heard one "oh s*&t can erase a life time of atta-boys". Never bought into that, never will. Coach Hugh Freeze had a lot of "attaboys" at LU in my opinion. I'm glad he has achieved his dream of going back to the SEC. I agree with other sentiments; let's move on and start moving toward our dream at LU.
Baybird, LUOrange, Sly Fox and 4 others liked this
By tyndal23
rtb72 wrote: January 26th, 2023, 10:57 pm No secret, I wasn't a fan of how he left, but that should not negate what he did for LU. I've always heard one "oh s*&t can erase a life time of atta-boys". Never bought into that, never will. Coach Hugh Freeze had a lot of "attaboys" at LU in my opinion. I'm glad he has achieved his dream of going back to the SEC. I agree with other sentiments; let's move on and start moving toward our dream at LU.
I thought his Convo was a bit car salesman, his presser a little less, his next interview he had me hooked, but thought 2 years was his max - grateful for 4 and loved it. ( and scroll my old posts for proof about my initial thoughts if u really care ) I had a bad feeling the week of NC State when he stayed up late to do a coaches show and talked more about golf than LU. Didn’t like his decision to keep an OL Coach who wanted to leave for his home state - should have cut him loose ( hindsight ) . Didn’t like a few Fourth and a mile calls - but genuinely loved him as a leader and would kill to play for him. Rooting for him and will be watching Auburn close - Sue Me - I like a little car salesman in my ballcoach. And for those hanging on to our next coach staying forever based on a press conference - get real. If he is good enough, he will get poached. IF Dot got a call from UCLA and they said she could openly talk about her faith - guess what...
Ill flame, LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Oh, that faith thing you mentioned at the end, really messes with people’s heads around here. Too many think because LU is Christian everybody here should be staying forever and never receive praise or pay raise for their work. Professors, coaches and student-athletes alike.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It isn't that he left. It is the way he clearly allowed himself to be distracted from the job the past couple of years. Especially this year. We all knew he was leaving at some point. That is what Liberty is but all the stuff he said about finishing strong ended up just being empty words. He kept LU football afloat during his time and like @stokesjokes said, it was a mutually beneficial relationship. That doesn't mean I have to like how he conducted business.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
The shower part is weird.
thepostman, flamehunter liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 8:30 pm A little more insight to the last game with Freeze at the helm, courtesy of Demario at the combine. https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2023/ ... -says.html
When Freeze's coaching days are over he'll look back and be proud of his successes against Alabama, but also deeply regret not finishing 2022 .... and guiding a G5 Liberty team to a 11-1 record and an appearance in a NY6 game. Would have been right up there with his wins over the Tide. :cry:
ballcoach15 liked this
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
If you look back on it...LU has been blessed with amazing coaches. Morgan Hout. He recruited Eric Green. A first round NFL draft pick that went to the orobowl. He played at LU. Sam Rutigliano...a former NFL coach that seemed to stay at LI forever and even did a LU tv program after he retired. Too good for what LU was at the time. Ken Karcher...I know we had it rough...he also was at LU during the Falwell praying to keep the doors open. We had Samkon Gado...an NFL running back...and really...if not for injuries I believe Barnes and Goodman were both NFL talent...Barnes just had that terrible injury I think it was against William and Mary...and I think Samkon Gado had migraines...that why he wore the shield. But three of the best running backs LU has had...to bad he never put them on the field at the same time. I digress. Then Rocco. Great person to bring LU back to winning. Rashad Jennings...NFL running back. Then Turner Gill. Like Freeze...Gill seemed to win the Big Games...Baylor, JMU, Georgia State, a 52-10 whipping of ODU in our first FBS game..but then St.Francis and Kennesaw state losses. But he was always .500 or above and had a great love for the school. The Baylor and ODU games are just great memories. The 69 yard fg against Richmond would have been a crazy memory if we could have just stopped richmonds 2 point conversion 39 seconds earlier. The Freezer. Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Arkansas...big wins. Great memories. But Freeze also had trouble getting the team up for smaller games. Gardner Webb was a scare. UConn. New Mexico. I really think Freeze left at the right time. Freeze loves the underdog roll. He will do well at Auburn. Freeze struggled sometimes when LU wasn't the underdog. Freeze loved the p5 games. In CUSA, it:s a different ballgame. Onle 1 power 5 game. A regional G5, and an FCS. These next year's are going to be about the grind of winning G5 conference games. I just don't know if Freeze's personality would fit that. But you know who did really well at winning G5 conference games? Jamie Chadwell. LU has been blessed with great coaches. I wish Freeze well. But I'm super excited for Chadwell.
Baybird, LUOrange, Liberty22 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I know this is :offtopic on our Freeze thread, but here goes...

With all due repect to Coach Hout, I think Coach Sam is the one who made Eric Green a first round draft pick. I remember Coach Sam said it should be "illegal" for Green to be playing tight end at the FCS level his senior year.

Eric was one of my students. I remember him telling me his freshman year that basketball was actually his best sport in high school and that he got MVP in a tournament over Pervis Ellison who later played for Louisville and in the NBA. :shock:

I'm still amazed that Dr. Falwell convinced Coach Sam to come to LU before we even had a football stadium on campus. I first saw Eric play for LU when we still had our games at City Stadium. :oldhag
CCWMichael, Baybird, Sly Fox liked this
By Ill flame
I have nothing against the guy. He's exactly what this program needed during the transition to FBS and I hope he goes on to have a lot of success at auburn. When chadwell takes us to new heights and a big time P5 school inevitably hires him away I'll feel the same way about him as well. I much prefer that over the Carey Green or Turner Gill debate.
JK37, Baybird liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 10:52 am
ballcoach15 wrote: July 20th, 2023, 10:07 am Hugh who ?
Like a WVU fan about RichRod. :lol: Well played!
Is RichRod one of them there rappers?
Cider Jim, JK37 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]