Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By hurricane fan
Registration Days Posts
My SEC source falls short of saying he has been “black balled” by the SEC, but says it’s still too soon for anyone to bring him back.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
hurricane fan wrote: November 9th, 2020, 12:39 pm My SEC source falls short of saying he has been “black balled” by the SEC, but says it’s still too soon for anyone to bring him back.
That sounds about right to me.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Overall, LU has better campus than South Carolina. Their stadium is bigger, but that's it.
SC made a mistake when hiring their current coach. If my memory is correct, he had just been fired at Florida. If one can't win at Florida, there's not much hope at another SEC school.
badger74, jinxy liked this
By rtb72
I have no doubt HCHF is a growing commodity, but perhaps his priorities have changed over the course of his life. I may be wrong, but just hearing him talk and his testimony seem to reflect his spiritual and personal convictions weigh much more heavy than his professional pursuits. I believe he is happy here as much for the environment it provides for his relationship with Christ and family, as it is for the game he loves.
ballcoach15, jinxy, LUOrange liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Take everything else but football out. Assuming malik does not leave and we bring back some of these seniors we could go 11 and 1 or 10 and 2 next year. Certainly 8 or 9 wins at minimum. I dont see syracuse being any good next year. Army UAB Troy and Ole miss are the tough games but i could easily see 10 and 2 with another recruiting class seniors coming back and maliks 2nd year.

His shine will only increase.
By Jonathan Carone
Our team next year has the potential to make this one look like an average team.

We have 7-8 scholarships left. Freeze has said he's slowing recruiting right now. With our brand increasing through this exposure, and with the one-time transfer rule coming, he could like 6-8 high quality transfers to come in next year and be light years above where a recruit would be. We're in the unique position to be a "smaller" school who can benefit greatly from that transfer rule.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. I fully expect another hs lb and a db or 2. Beyond that i think the rest will be transfers or jucos.

The only 3 hs kids i can tell we are actively chasing are all 3 star dbs. Chappell jr who decommitted from gt. Aaron smith who has exploded in iowa and zamon ross. 247 high targets seem to have been accurate this year.
By jweaks
Who knows what might lure him? Bama? You bet! Auburn? Yep! Anybody else? He'd have to really want or need the money to go take on a headache like SC, or a mid to lower level SEC team. Will Southern Miss call? Probably. I could see him maybe wanting to try to build up SM, but only if it's last gig before retiring.

But... I got no idea. Be nice if he'd stay at LU.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
Nothing is going to go back to normal after 2020. It feels like everything has changed significantly. Not just in football, but in every facet of life. Freeze has proved you can win at Liberty, and not just on a regional scale. The possibilities are endless being an independent and the budget is significantly higher than most schools our size.

Stranger things have happened. Freeze could turn out to be a 5-10 year guy here at Liberty.
Sly Fox, ballcoach15 liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
I am weary of the HF speculations. It is a waste of time. HF is here now and doing a great job. We are all grateful for this.

Pray for HF and his family. My prayer is:

Lord, thank you for bringing HF to Liberty. We are grateful for his great contributions which you have allowed him to achieve for Liberty University. Thank you for healing our coach last year and sparing his life. We celebrate this demonstration of your grace and mercy. Father God, we pray that you would continue to protect HF in every way, that you would bless his marriage and relationship with his children. We pray you would continue to allow HF to bring glory to your son Jesus through the great game of football at our great University. We pray you would go before HF and his coaching staff to bring the right players to LU for the right reasons. We pray that HF and his staff would continue to develop a healthy, Christ-honoring culture on our football team which fosters an environment of spiritual growth. Finally, I pray would not ask if we can "keep HF", but rather, YOU would keep HF. Keep him in the center of your will - that he would bring you much glory. Pray that you Lord would bring HF great satisfaction in his endeavors here at Liberty. We pray you would invigorate HF's spirit in every way and bless him beyond measure.

In Jesus' mighty name!
Amen
ballcoach15, LUOrange, flameshaw and 2 others liked this
By Ill flame
I don't know how to link the article but HF just agreed to a new 5 year contract putting him among the top 5 highest paid G5 Head Coaches. Which means he'll get paid around $3 million a year.
By Jonathan Carone
Hugh Freeze, who has steered Liberty's football team to the best start in program history this season, has agreed to a new deal that sources told ESPN would place him among the top 5 highest-paid non-Power Five head coaches in college football.

"All aspects of our program are on the rise under Hugh's leadership, and we are putting the infrastructure in place to make this one of the top Group of Five programs in the country," Liberty athletic director Ian McCaw told ESPN on Wednesday.

Liberty, as a private institution, doesn't release the financial details of coaches' contracts. But in ranking among the top 5 highest-paid coaches in the non-Power 5 ranks, that would place Freeze's average salary at $3 million-plus per year.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ources-say
LU 57, Baybird liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jyoung9 wrote: November 11th, 2020, 2:50 pm Do we have any idea how much of a raise is this?
They are speculating in the $3 million range. (Up from $2 million).
By Dalegarz1
Just read about the extension on ESPN.com. That's good news as long as the President-Elect doesn't order a wage and price
"Freeze". :)
By jyoung9
olldflame wrote: November 11th, 2020, 3:00 pm
jyoung9 wrote: November 11th, 2020, 2:50 pm Do we have any idea how much of a raise is this?
I should have phrased more clearly- I am guessing he's gaining about a million more in salary per year?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jyoung9 wrote: November 11th, 2020, 4:23 pm
olldflame wrote: November 11th, 2020, 3:00 pm
I should have phrased more clearly- I am guessing he's gaining about a million more in salary per year?
That's my understanding.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Obviously great news. Seems life HF wants to stay but certainly doesn’t guarantee anything. I know they are different people in different situations with different motives but Lane Kiffin signed an extension then immediately jumped ship to Ole Miss. Again I’m not saying this is apples to apples but worth mentioning.
By jmclaughlin
To be Fair
I personally don't think HF is leaving the Mountain for at least 2 more years. However, the contract extension could be nothing but optics to help keep recruiting efforts and to quiet the rumors swirling about leaving. There is nothing that says he cant bolt for a big program after the season and recruiting cycle. He is a hot commodity right now and Sexton's phone will continue ringing.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]