Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
First off, it doesn't sound like he's leaving. Hypothetically, if he does, Kent Austin would have to be the clear logical choice IMO.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: November 13th, 2021, 9:25 am
Kricket wrote: November 13th, 2021, 12:33 am If Freeze leaves, Liberty will just hire Jon Gruden... I say that somewhat jokingly... But it wouldn't be the craziest thing that's ever happened.
Edit*** I guess he may be Catholic, not really sure.
Being Catholic would not necessarily be an issue.
Being John Gruden would.
There was a time people would have said that about Hugh Freeze... Just trying to stir the pot a little. :lol:
By Risewithus
Cider Jim wrote: November 13th, 2021, 9:11 am Did anyone else find it interesting that Coach Freeze was not at the C-USA press conference on Friday? :dontgetit He was probably out recruiting.
By week. Definitely family/recruiting time for all of the coaches.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
WVU looks like it’s gonna be open….
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Risewithus wrote: November 13th, 2021, 12:31 pm
Cider Jim wrote: November 13th, 2021, 9:11 am Did anyone else find it interesting that Coach Freeze was not at the C-USA press conference on Friday? :dontgetit He was probably out recruiting.
By week. Definitely family/recruiting time for all of the coaches.
Dot was a natural pick for diversity. Ritchie or HF would have been the logical male representatives. Whatever the reasons, they went with Ritchie, and IMHO you can't go wrong having him rep us in any situation.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Coach Dot did an amazing job talking about her mission and her Christian worldview.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 13th, 2021, 5:39 pm
Purple Haize wrote: November 13th, 2021, 3:21 pm WVU looks like it’s gonna be open….
He just got an extension.
Which you know means nothing
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
New contract and raise for HCHF. Now making as much or more $ than 4 SEC coaches. To be announced tomorrow.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ources-say
Liberty has reached a new deal with Hugh Freeze that will make him one of the highest-paid non-Power 5 coaches in college football, sources told ESPN on Tuesday night.

The university is expected to officially announce the new contract on Wednesday. Sources told ESPN that Freeze's total financial package would average more than $4 million annually over the length of the contract and run through the 2028 season.

Freeze's new deal at Liberty will be worth more or at least comparable to what five different SEC coaches are making.
LUOrange, Kricket liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
At this point he’d be foolish to go anywhere.
By rtb72
Like I've said before....I think his wife and family play a much bigger role in his decisions now. If his family is happy and satisfied on the mountain, I think he stays as long as that continues.
Dalegarz1 liked this
By Ill flame
I think he is happy here but will eventually go somewhere he can chase a natty when the time is right for him and his family. This pay raise will make him the highest paid G5 coach after the four big 12 additions officially move up. I'm not sure how well our assistants are being paid but I hope they are getting hefty raises everytime the HC does.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Does this mean HCHF has been at least flirting with other schools?
Seems like getting a new deal in back to back years would signify other schools have been sniffing around.
This is definitely exciting and hopefully will help with recruiting since other coaches can’t say to recruits that HCHF is just trying to move up and won’t be around all 4 years.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I think this is probably a good thing for Liberty. We're way ahead of where we'd thought we'd be, at least we were last year. This year it feels like an underachievement to me, and it feels weird to give a coach a raise during a year of underachievement.

You can say, we just overachieved last year and set the bar too high for this year, which would definitely be warranted. But when you're paid like an SEC coach in C-USA, what will be the expectation for results? Is 7-5 gonna cut it? Is bowling good enough? The expectations communicated when offering the extension would be interesting to know.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: November 24th, 2021, 9:51 am That's true. And I wondered if we struggled with recruiting a little due to perceived instability of whether he would actually be here or not.
This.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: November 24th, 2021, 5:53 am Does this mean HCHF has been at least flirting with other schools?
Not necessarily. It should be expected that his agent, Jimmy Sexton, is shopping him around... An agent's job is to get the coach the best deal for the coach. That may mean the most money and/or contract provisions at the current school or to find a new fit. One way to get more money at a current school is to make the administration think there might be interest by another party.
aredd33 wrote: November 24th, 2021, 5:53 am Seems like getting a new deal in back to back years would signify other schools have been sniffing around.
New deals every year are a common experience for in many of the better programs, even if it is just an extension.
aredd33 wrote: November 24th, 2021, 5:53 am This is definitely exciting and hopefully will help with recruiting since other coaches can’t say to recruits that HCHF is just trying to move up and won’t be around all 4 years.
It certainly doesn't hurt. However, this contract doesn't prevent Freeze from going to a bigger school. If, for example, LSU wanted him, they could make it work if Freeze were interested.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LSU, USC, Florida and Washington are four that would have zero trouble finding the money if it came to it.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
I don't think money drives Freeze, I think family, quality of life, happiness and the ability to openly share his faith is why he will remain at Liberty. Money is always good but not the deciding factor for him in my opinion. I for one hope he retires on the mountain.
LUOrange liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
If he's pulling in 4 million there's a chance he's making over triple or quadruple of any other C-USA coach by the time we join the league.
Conference USA
1. Seth Littrell, North Texas -- $1.9 million
2. Bill Clark, UAB -- $1.55 million
3. Butch Davis, Florida International -- $1.093 million
4. Mike Bloomgren, Rice -- $934,000
5. Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee -- $901,000

https://footballscoop.com/news/highest- ... abase-2021
By tyndal23
Kricket wrote: November 24th, 2021, 1:45 pm If he's pulling in 4 million there's a chance he's making over triple or quadruple of any other C-USA coach by the time we join the league.
Conference USA
1. Seth Littrell, North Texas -- $1.9 million
2. Bill Clark, UAB -- $1.55 million
3. Butch Davis, Florida International -- $1.093 million
4. Mike Bloomgren, Rice -- $934,000
5. Rick Stockstill, Middle Tennessee -- $901,000

https://footballscoop.com/news/highest- ... abase-2021
Hopefully recruiting and staff budgets are also triple rest of CUSA.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I mean, we should have no reason to worry about him leaving at this point. Not because he will never leave, but because at that pay scale we likely could hire someone close to as good or better.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]