Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Forgive me for asking because I haven't been paying
attention this close and caught it during his Auburn press conference. Was Freeze calling all the offensive plays the past 4 years?
By Dalegarz1
IMHO, his biggest weakness was play calling on the fly. This was a pretty consistent flaw especially in short yardage situations.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
My ‘sources’ told me he bought a house down there back in September
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 12:08 pm My ‘sources’ told me he bought a house down there back in September
My sources say that it was at least a lot on some lake down there.
Purple Haize liked this
By tyndal23
I was a little skeptical of HF hire, thinking 2 years max. I really became a big fan. The flirting with TN and lack of focus end of last year was quickly forgotten with bowl win. This year, the BYU and AR wins were so monumental and impressive it just outweighs the “mail it in” of the next 3 games. Bitter about it, yes. But in short, I am a Freeze fan and will be pulling for him rest of his career. Frankly, he is bigger than CUSA and it just doesn’t make any sense to pay a coach $5 million to play G5 only schedules. Perfect time for him to move on. Hugh will send some players our way and I wouldn’t be shocked if in x number of years or so he returns to Liberty in some capacity. I really think he likes it that much. Auburn is perfect for him right now. Thankful we had him and frankly loved his defenses much better than his offense that he was responsible for. Excited to see the next staff, still worry it will be a 2 year typical G5 average tenure of good coaches constantly moving up, but hey, that is G5 football.
JK37, flamehunter, Ill flame and 2 others liked this
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 2:42 am I was a little skeptical of HF hire, thinking 2 years max. I really became a big fan. The flirting with TN and lack of focus end of last year was quickly forgotten with bowl win. This year, the BYU and AR wins were so monumental and impressive it just outweighs the “mail it in” of the next 3 games. Bitter about it, yes. But in short, I am a Freeze fan and will be pulling for him rest of his career. Frankly, he is bigger than CUSA and it just doesn’t make any sense to pay a coach $5 million to play G5 only schedules. Perfect time for him to move on. Hugh will send some players our way and I wouldn’t be shocked if in x number of years or so he returns to Liberty in some capacity. I really think he likes it that much. Auburn is perfect for him right now. Thankful we had him and frankly loved his defenses much better than his offense that he was responsible for. Excited to see the next staff, still worry it will be a 2 year typical G5 average tenure of good coaches constantly moving up, but hey, that is G5 football.
I agree with the CUSA thinking. Once that was announced we were probably in trouble. It does offer us a path to the playoffs and had to be done but I bet Ian is working a plan to keep moving up. I expect our stay in CUSA to be short.
By Ill flame
After seeing how well this coaching search is reportedly going and the amount of interest in the job to include a sitting Big Ten head coach it's hard not to be thankful for Hugh freeze helping us get to this point. I have no problem being the school everyone wants to coach at because they know we can get them to the next level. As far as I'm concerned it's mutually beneficial for both sides.
JK37, AATL, Baybird liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 10:13 am it's hard not to be thankful for Hugh freeze helping us get to this point.
Freeze may be on Auburn's payroll now, but on College Game Day, he said may positive things about LU's facilities, administration, and fans.

Freeze didn't have to say that, but I think he and his family feel indebted to the impact LU made on their lives which in turn enabled him to have that much talked about "second chance."
Liberty22, JK37, flameshaw and 5 others liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Glad to know he was fully focused on football while at Liberty. I guess the coaching job was more of a side gig? :D
Still thankful for his time here, just wonder what could have been if we were more than a rehab facility for him.
Oh well, I'm all in on HCJC and I have a feeling he's all in on LU.
LU 57, FlamesHighontheTide, Baybird and 2 others liked this
By Ill flame
I think we all saw this coming. Golfing a few hours a week probably doesn't affect his ability to win games but the optics of it won't fly at a school with insane fans/boosters like auburn unless he wins big.
LUOrange, AATL liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
When HF was first hired, I thought it was a bad hire. Then over time, he had me buying in. I don't know why I fell for it. I should've just stuck to my gut. The dude is a used car salesmen. Always has been and always will be. He kept us afloat during our transition but it has become pretty clear his heart was never fully in it. Which we all kind of guessed towards the end but it still stings a bit when you hear him saying stuff like this.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
It's really kind of impressive how well he did here with transitioning and lack of talent when he really wasn't committed. Had he fully bought in and wanted to be here the last 4 years could have been even better. Anyway can't blame him and we all knew what this was from the beginning. We are the chubby dorky kid that got to take a 10 to prom because she got in trouble and her parents made her go with a nice guy but as soon as we got to prom she ditched us for the cool kids.
Auburn is one of very few schools where a national championship is a realistic possibility.
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Some of you guys are truly delusional about the HCHF's time on the mountain. In fact, I would say that your constant level of disparagement of the University, the football program and the strides taken during his tenure is only exceeded by the lofty evaluation of your own opinion. I have had acquaintances in high school and college gym classes who shared the same trait, only to find that it was a defense mechanism to make up for other shortcomings only to be revealed in the showers. The "chubby, dorky kid" you referred to, whether it be academics or the athletic programs, both have made strides unimaginable just a few short years ago and this is in large part, because of the people God has chosen to send here. Including an incredibly gifted Athletic Director and Coaches.
I found Coach Freeze to be quite engaging and acutely aware of the balance required given the unique mission of this University, all while putting a product on the field that advanced light years in four short years. Get serious gentlemen, from losing to Presbyterian to beating Arkansas on their homecoming, that does not happen without total commitment to recruiting, to development, to coaching and a total buying in by players, coaches and the administration. I was particularly impressed when the media put a microphone in front of any player or coach, they were great ambassadors for LU (you might try being one as well). Despite his last few weeks of awkwardness, in large part brought on because of a flawed NCAA timetable, HCHF never displayed to me any sort of the aloofness that you constantly refer to. If he was a "used car salesman", I'm buying from him anytime.
From what I can tell, Coach Chadwell looks to be a great hire and I'm behind him 100%. I hope that he will be fortunate enough to "keep us afloat" for a long time.
Maybe some of you could be positive and buy some of that "snake oil". You might enjoy the ride.
flameshaw, LUOrange, Ill flame and 1 others liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]