Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

FlamesHighontheTide wrote: November 18th, 2020, 11:14 am However long we get to keep him the reality is it has been a blessing. More interviews with ESPN, CBS Sport, Finebaum and others, legitimate heisman talk on Malik from different sources, more ESPNU games(thanks COVID), bowl win, 8-0 to start this season, beating Tech, Syracuse and hopefully NC State, 4 star top 300 recruit in Khristian Zachary that made national recruiting news. I seriously doubt if any of that happens without Freeze.

My thoughts on Hugh leaving after this year or next has changed to NO WAY. His youngest daughter is a freshman at LU and she absolutely loves it there. He keeps talking about how much his wife and daughters love it and I think that matters more to him than even going back to the SEC. Also, he said in an interview this week that he doesn't even know if one of those special places came calling that he would jump ship. Obviously only time will tell, but I don't see him leaving until his youngest has graduated from LU.
Dude - this is so very well said. Thanks for your clear thinking on this.
Can you imagine how special it is for HF to enjoy the next 3 years with his daughter attending Liberty while he is coaching there? That is a really special situation. And think about how much Mom must love being in the same town with her daughter who is "away at college". They can see her anytime. That is a blessing.

My daughter is 750 miles from our home in Illinois. We miss her terribly, but we know she's at the best possible University and she's so incredibly happy at Liberty. Wish we lived in Lynchburg so we could see her on the regular AND be able to attend all the excellent activities offered by Liberty with athletics, music and more!
michaeleyou liked this
By rtb72
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 18th, 2020, 2:00 pm Hugh is the hot girl who's out of your league that, for one reason or another, decides you're worth dating.

You can either enjoy the time with her or you can worry she's going to leave you for every other dude you see on the street.

You have to pick which way you approach it.
hahaha...great analogy. Can we go ahead and put a ring on "her" finger and marry her NOW.
Liberty22 liked this
By jmclaughlin
Enjoy the moment. This endless debate steals from the current reality. We are 8-0 and ranked #21 in the nation. We are having a legitimate debate on will we cover the 3 point spread against NC State. If we win, we will have more ACC wins than Georgia Tech, Louisville or even Florida State! LU football has been the brightest star in the 2020 reality show.
Geraldos Mustache liked this
As an NIU Football alumnus and fan, I've been through the ups and downs with coaches. It's been painful and frustrating. Every time we get an awesome coach, he gets snatched up by a P5 program with a handsome salary offer.

We hired Jerry Kill who coached for 3 seasons (2008-2010) and led NIU to 3 consecutive Bowl appearances (that was a big deal for NIU back then as "going Bowling" was not commonplace). We lost Coach Kill to Minnesota.

We hired Dave Doeren who coached 2 seasons (2011-2012). We won the MAC Championship in 2011 for the first time since 1983 and won the GoDaddy.com Bowl. In 2012 we made it to the Orange Bowl and Coach Doeren skipped out to take the NC State job before the Orange Bowl was played vs. Florida State. We promoted Assistant Coach Rod Carey for that Bowl game and hired him on full time.

Rod Carey coached from 2013-2018 and left for the Temple University job. Glad he's gone. We appeared in 6 Bowl games in 7 years and Coach Carey lost all 6 Bowl games. Not sure why Temple paid him big bucks to leave.

My point is, NIU (and G5 schools like NIU) are a training ground for up-and-coming coaches. If they have great success - they get snapped up pretty quick by P5 programs. We all know this.

I think things are different with HF at Liberty because we have P5 resources and are willing to pay P5 salary. NIU could never keep a coach because were were paying Rod Carey $533,000 and he left for $2.4 MM at Temple.

Dave Doeren made $425,000 and took $3.25 MM at NC State.

Jerry Kill made $170,000 and took $1.2 MM at Minnesota.

In a decade, NIU figured out how to improve HC salaries from $170k to $533k. Good progress but not anywhere near competitive to keep an up-and-coming coach in place. HF was only making $1.5MM at Ole Miss with incentives up to $2.5MM. Liberty is paying HF an estimated $3MM. No reason for him to take off.
jmclaughlin liked this
rtb72 wrote: November 18th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 18th, 2020, 2:00 pm Hugh is the hot girl who's out of your league that, for one reason or another, decides you're worth dating.

You can either enjoy the time with her or you can worry she's going to leave you for every other dude you see on the street.

You have to pick which way you approach it.
hahaha...great analogy. Can we go ahead and put a ring on "her" finger and marry her NOW.
We gave her the ring and she accepted. So do we assume she's going to stay with us and enjoy our time with her or are we scared she's going to break it off at a better opportunity? She's chosen us for now, so let's enjoy it.
jmclaughlin liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
This is no engagement. HF married LU. The only way to get out is by divorce.
rtb72 liked this
Has Hugh Freeze proven for other coaches what can be done at Liberty? It is he so good that most know they couldn't duplicate it?

Someone offline made a good point. The Hugh Freeze buyout likely covers every season we have paid him and at least two maybe three going forward. If he gets poached this off season, we probably made money on his contracts and can pay another respectable coach and had two years of excellent program building.

South Carolina said they want their hire in before the early signing day. December 16 this year.

I honestly would say with confidence that Freeze doesn't leave before the Coastal game on the 5th. I don't know if 10 days to salvage a recruiting class is something he wants to do right now.

Here is a bigger question. Has Scott Symons done enough to get a G5 look? That Southern Miss job might be really appealing to him.
LUAlum1215 liked this
By LUAlum1215
TH Spangler wrote: November 19th, 2020, 9:16 am While that's all true. I'm betting he stays, keep his family happy and beats ND before departing. If he does that he'll own the place and end up retiring here. :lol: :lol:
I'd ask you to pass the kool-aid but you've clearly drank it all.

I do think HCHF stays this year and likely next. I think realistically he's here until Malik is gone. He's caught lightening in a bottle with Malik and can't take him to another school. That said, I don't see him here long enough to beat ND mainly because outside of a bowl the chances of even scheduling them soon appear to be slim.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I know some are not particularly happy that HF won't make a firm commitment to stay, but what he has said is that there are only a few other jobs he would even consider. We don't know for sure which jobs they are, but I think we have a pretty good idea, and none of them are currently available. My gut feeling is he stays at least until all his daughters have graduated, and I think there is a chance that by that time I think he may be a lifer.
Liberty22, LUOrange, Sly Fox liked this
olldflame wrote: November 19th, 2020, 10:05 am I know some are not particularly happy that HF won't make a firm commitment to stay, but what he has said is that there are only a few other jobs he would even consider. We don't know for sure which jobs they are, but I think we have a pretty good idea, and none of them are currently available. My gut feeling is he stays at least until all his daughters have graduated, and I think there is a chance that by that time I think he may be a lifer.
Fans want coaches to make a firm commitment, but when they do that and their situation changes (i.e. Ritchie McKay), they get incredibly hurt that the coach "lied" to them or went against his word.

A firm commitment is a lose lose situation. I love my job but I can't tell you with absolute certainty I wouldn't leave it tomorrow if something different came along that I'm not thinking about currently. A more honest statement would be I love where I'm at and plan to be here for a while unless something special comes along.

If that's a fair statement for me to make, it should be a fair statement for our football coach to make.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 19th, 2020, 11:28 am
olldflame wrote: November 19th, 2020, 10:05 am I know some are not particularly happy that HF won't make a firm commitment to stay, but what he has said is that there are only a few other jobs he would even consider. We don't know for sure which jobs they are, but I think we have a pretty good idea, and none of them are currently available. My gut feeling is he stays at least until all his daughters have graduated, and I think there is a chance that by that time I think he may be a lifer.
Fans want coaches to make a firm commitment, but when they do that and their situation changes (i.e. Ritchie McKay), they get incredibly hurt that the coach "lied" to them or went against his word.

A firm commitment is a lose lose situation. I love my job but I can't tell you with absolute certainty I wouldn't leave it tomorrow if something different came along that I'm not thinking about currently. A more honest statement would be I love where I'm at and plan to be here for a while unless something special comes along.

If that's a fair statement for me to make, it should be a fair statement for our football coach to make.
Correct. So much of the anger directed toward Ritchie when he left was because he had been so adamant that he was basically called by God to be at Liberty. What is ironic is that since his return, we haven't heard anything like that from his mouth, and yet it becomes more apparent as time passes that he probably is there to stay.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
As a Liberty alum and fan... that was by far the very best interview we could ever have wanted.

But fans also need to understand that situations change and no one should be asked to be married to their job. I'm enjoying the ride. I hope Ian and our Administration do everything possible to capitalize on this season. So far, so good.
rtb72 liked this
By rtb72
I never thought about how much his story, the fall and the redemption, reflects LU's mission, beliefs, and faith....on a national level. We have never had anyone that could do that in this way, that I'm aware of. Makes me even more resolved that his coming to LU was truly meant to be. He is a great representative for LU.
rtb72 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 12:29 pm I never thought about how much his story, the fall and the redemption, reflects LU's mission, beliefs, and faith....on a national level. We have never had anyone that could do that in this way, that I'm aware of. Makes me even more resolved that his coming to LU was truly meant to be. He is a great representative for LU.
It’s why he should be a perfect fit at LU. He and RMK have different backgrounds to end up here but they both should be wrapped up here and encouraged to never leave
rtb72, Liberty22, Jonathan Carone and 4 others liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
It truly is the “golden age of Liberty Athletics”. Think about it. We’ve got one of the top coaches in their profession in both RM and HF. Incredible time to be a Liberty fan and right at a time our University needed some good to come out.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Since Ballcoach is probably out riding his bike in the backwoods of Gretna, I would add Coach Dot to that trifecta of coaching greats at LU.
ballcoach15 liked this
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’ll[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]