Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CinciFlame
Registration Days Posts
South Carolina, Auburn, TN and even VA Tech fans are wanting Freeze as their next head coach. What job would be hard for him to turn down? All of these programs would throw a crazy number at him of around $5-6 million a year. I think at this point its all about what he wants out of life.
badger74, TallyW liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
CinciFlame wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:01 am South Carolina, Auburn, TN and even VA Tech fans are wanting Freeze as their next head coach. What job would be hard for him to turn down? All of these programs would throw a crazy number at him of around $5-6 million a year. I think at this point its all about what he wants out of life.
Your last point is certainly correct, but IMHO it is also highly unlikely that any other program will be able to offer him enough that we will not be able to match it or nearly so. Add to that the rumor that his current contract has a huge buyout, and somebody will need to want him really badly to pay it. Considering the baggage he still carries in a lot of those places, I don't see it happening any time soon.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:30 am
CinciFlame wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:01 am South Carolina, Auburn, TN and even VA Tech fans are wanting Freeze as their next head coach. What job would be hard for him to turn down? All of these programs would throw a crazy number at him of around $5-6 million a year. I think at this point its all about what he wants out of life.
Your last point is certainly correct, but IMHO it is also highly unlikely that any other program will be able to offer him enough that we will not be able to match it or nearly so. Add to that the rumor that his current contract has a huge buyout, and somebody will need to want him really badly to pay it. Considering the baggage he still carries in a lot of those places, I don't see it happening any time soon.
Auburn has that type of money. Their boosters will pay whatever they need to in order get a coach with his record against Bama. At Auburn he will have an opportunity to compete for a National Championship. Those are two things the other schools on the list can’t offer.
BUT Liberty is unique (just ask Junior). The only concern is if the new regime will still invest the types of dollars in athletics that the old one did. If so, then LU can keep the salary attractive even though not being able match it. The non monetary reasons to stay are building a legacy at a program like Beamer, Osborn, Joe Pa (scandal aside) and others. Job security for life, whereas at the others his shelf life will be probably under a decade. A “safer” environment. And he will be in Bowl games every year and the perennial “feel good story” of CFB.
If his goal in life is a Natty, he will go to Auburn
If his goal is a legacy, he will stay here (considering the financials and support continue)
Liberty22, LU 57, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
By CinciFlame
Registration Days Posts
Guz M currently makes 6.9m. Even Mark Stoops at KY makes 5m. I think it's to the university benefit to pay HF in the 3m range. That would make him feel the school is heavily invested in him and give him incentive bonuses.

If you think SEC schools won't take a chance on him because of past issues, you're absolutely wrong. He was likely going to be the OC at TN before accepting the Liberty position.
By Jonathan Carone
What good does worrying about this do?

We have no access to Freeze’s motivations nor his family’s. We cannot speak to what our school can pay him. We do not know if there is legitimate interest from other athletic directors.

All worrying does is take away from the fun of this season. We may never experience this again. We need to enjoy it for what it is, not worry when it’ll end.
Liberty22, jmclaughlin, Ill flame and 6 others liked this
By jmclaughlin
Amen. Enjoy the rise. Stack the blocks. They could fall at any moment but we are adding more blocks to play with after each milestone.
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: November 8th, 2020, 12:13 pm
olldflame wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:30 am
Auburn has that type of money. Their boosters will pay whatever they need to in order get a coach with his record against Bama. At Auburn he will have an opportunity to compete for a National Championship. Those are two things the other schools on the list can’t offer.
To your point, competition amoung P5 schools for playoff spots will continue to be intense. Even when playoffs expand, there will be those with 1 losses who don't get in. But an expansion will likely include at least a play-in game, if not an outright slot for g5 schools. I would suggest that LU and Freeze have a better chance in the future to consistently be in the championship picture via LU's g5 path than through p5.
Liberty22 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If I were the board policeman, I would lock down all threads pertaining to Freeze leaving, and delete all future posts of same nature.

A good source told me, "if he leaves, he leaves" , if he stays he stays"
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 8th, 2020, 1:01 pm What good does worrying about this do?

We have no access to Freeze’s motivations nor his family’s. We cannot speak to what our school can pay him. We do not know if there is legitimate interest from other athletic directors.

All worrying does is take away from the fun of this season. We may never experience this again. We need to enjoy it for what it is, not worry when it’ll end.
Not worried at all. I’m enjoying the ride and FutureCasting. If I were him I’d probably stay.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 8th, 2020, 2:04 pm If I were the board policeman, I would lock down all threads pertaining to Freeze leaving, and delete all future posts of same nature.

A good source told me, "if he leaves, he leaves" , if he stays he stays"
Spoken like the true Liberal Democrat you are.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 8th, 2020, 2:04 pm If I were the board policeman, I would lock down all threads pertaining to Freeze leaving, and delete all future posts of same nature.
Did you burn books growing up, too?
Purple Haize liked this
By LUOrange
I don't think he's leaving for a while. But at a minimum, he stays through next season. I think he wants to coach that game in Oxford next fall.
Purple Haize liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I believe he will be here at least a couple more years. If, he were to leave, he has brought enough legitimacy and gravitas to the program, that we will get another excellent coach. As long as the new leadership will allow Ian to do his job.
By CinciFlame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 8th, 2020, 1:01 pm What good does worrying about this do?

No one is enjoying this ride more than me. We all have our own Liberty stories, but I remember sitting in the stands in the 90's basically alone playing the likes of VMI and Concord college. I've taken more ribbing from my friends over supporting Liberty than you could imagine. With that said, it doesn't mean you're not enjoying the ride by thinking can we keep the guy that got us here.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Its a legit question and has been. However, we have discussed all possible angles and at this point we wont know any more until the off season when an opportunity comes up.

I will say this. No chance in the warm place he goes to southern miss.
By jweaks
SC is going to call. You can count on that.

But I don't think he'll go there.
By chris leedlelee
jweaks wrote: November 8th, 2020, 7:32 pm SC is going to call. You can count on that.

But I don't think he'll go there.
HF has the luxury to enjoy his time in Lynchburg, Virginia while waiting for a premiere SEC job to open. Tbh, I wouldn't call South Carolina "premier" at least by SEC standards. The only one I could see pulling him away anytime recently is Auburn.
jweaks liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I would bet my house, my salary(which aint much haha) and my car HCHF doesn't leave this year. We get a chance to go into Oxford next year and beat Ole Miss and you think he will pass that up, no way. Another year of Malik Willis in this offense as well. I really don't see him leaving unless Bama, Tennessee or Auburn come calling.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
CinciFlame wrote: November 8th, 2020, 4:51 pm

No one is enjoying this ride more than me. We all have our own Liberty stories, but I remember sitting in the stands in the 90's basically alone playing the likes of VMI and Concord college. I've taken more ribbing from my friends over supporting Liberty than you could imagine. With that said, it doesn't mean you're not enjoying the ride by thinking can we keep the guy that got us here.
No, some are enjoying it more. Never imagined top 25 when watching Newberry and Bowie State. Doesn't seem that long ago, but it was.
By aj7
If any of these jobs are open then I think there is serious concern of him leaving: LSU, Auburn, Bama, Florida, Georgia. Tennessee is interesting as they used to be in this class and maybe HF can talk himself into believing he's capable of resurrecting the program (which he can). South Carolina doesn't really scare me.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
aj7 wrote: November 9th, 2020, 11:26 am If any of these jobs are open then I think there is serious concern of him leaving: LSU, Auburn, Bama, Florida, Georgia. Tennessee is interesting as they used to be in this class and maybe HF can talk himself into believing he's capable of resurrecting the program (which he can). South Carolina doesn't really scare me.
Highly unlikely LSU, FL or GA will be open any time soon, and Bama only will if Saban retires. I agree on SC. TN and Auburn would seem to be the most likely possibilities, but I think this is all really premature.
aj7 liked this

In today’s game you can’t have more th[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.