Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Recon-32
Sly Fox wrote: January 18th, 2021, 2:56 pm Scrolling through the Vols boards the following seem to be the names that top Rocky Top wish list:

• Hugh Freeze
  • Gus Malzahn
  • Tom Herman
  • Matt Campbell
  • Jamey Chadwell
  • Billy Napier

The word is that with the Browns season done, Jimmy Haslam will be involved in the AD search. Supposedly Peyton Manning will be involved in the coaching search. Obviously the Mannings have ties to Coach Freeze.

Som are suggestng that since Pruitt is getting canned is for just cause around recruiting violations that the situation may be too volatile for Coach Freeze to get the job. Supposedly Sankey was OK with South Carolina pursuing Coach Freeze. But the mess in Knoxville might be a different story,
I have heard that Sankey has no say in the situation since Freeze only had a 1 year show cause and any school can hire him that wants.
By Jonathan Carone
Recon-32 wrote: January 18th, 2021, 2:55 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 18th, 2021, 2:45 pm So are the Haslems making the hire at Tennessee this time since Ergen, Anderson, and Jubran missed on the last one?
Possibly. I don't think the Haslems like Fulmer very much
Fulmer used to be Team Haslem but flip flopped to the other side a couple years back.

Here is a good read for anyone who wants to see how much of a mess Tennessee is.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Of course sankey cant block it. But he can make life miserable for schools that ignore his wishes for the betterment of the league.

What a mess. If it happens it would really suck to lose him to such a garbage university that is going in a million different directions. But if thats the path he and they choose i think we will have no trouble finding another good option as we are the exact opposite of tennessee. Everybody is pulling in the same direction.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Supposedly a search firm has been hired for the AD position. That could slow down the entire process. But since the boosters run the show in Knoxville as SJ pointed out, it is not crazy talk that they could hire a coach first.

Names that I am seeing mentioned as AD candidates:

ECU AD Jon Gilbert
UAB AD Mark Ingram
CBS NFL Analyst Charles Davis
MTSU Sr. Associate AD David Blackburn

All have ties to Rocky Top.
By Recon-32
Blackburn was in the mix when Fulmer was hired. He was AD at UT Chattanooga but there were some bridges burnt there when he wanted the UT knoxville AD job.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Sporting News wrote:Tennessee's 9 best coaching candidates to replace fired Jeremy Pruitt

WRITTEN BY
BILL BENDER
Lists Malzahn, Freeze & Brady as top three with Napier, Clark, Shadwell, Kiffin, Herman & Satterfield also as possibiltiies.

Click Here for Full Story

And here is another story ...
CBS Sports wrote:Tennessee coaching candidates: Pros and cons for Tom Herman, Hugh Freeze, Kevin Steele to take Vols job
Facing NCAA penalties and internal questions, Tennessee is not as strong a job as it used to be

By Dennis Dodd
Dodd starts off talking about Kevin Steele and meanders through Tom Herman, Bill O'Brien, Tony Elliott and Jamey Chadwell before wrapping up with Gus Malzahn & Billy Napier. Here is the section that we care about ...
Hugh Freeze, Liberty coach: Freeze desperate wants this job and will do anything to get it. When his name came up for other opportunities this offseason, it was rumored that he was waiting for Tennessee to open because it was No. 1 on his list.

Why not? By hiring Freeze, Tennessee would be effectively thumbing its nose at the NCAA in the middle of an ongoing investigation. Ole Miss' probation (on Freeze's watch) just ended on Nov. 30, 2020. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey may approve of Freeze's return to the league, but expecting him to make that call for a program dealing with NCAA issues is a tough ask.
Click Here for Full Story
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
My first thought is because of the recruiting violations that makes it more difficult for Freeze to get the job. Selfishly, that may work to our advantage but at the same time, he has by all accounts acquitted himself with integrity while at LU and I would hope he has the chance to be considered based solely on the merits and not reputation. Then I hope he doesn't go.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is a topic I refuse to entertain until necessary.

The whole concept of "integrity" under these circumstances in SEC Football of all places is ridiculous. If integrity was that important to the adminsitration in Knoxville they wouldn't be in their current mess.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Recon-32 wrote: January 18th, 2021, 11:33 pm I wouldn't be surprised to see Lane Kiffin get serious consideration for the job.
They’d rehire him? Plus, I think he’s got a better gig where he’s at
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
That interview on the fastlane with ed lane tonight from the memphis espn guy basically painted hchf as planting his name early on all these jobs and that hes never gotten an actual interview. Also said he thought sec team would not hire him any time soon.

Sucks if thats really the mentality but only a few people know for sure.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Doesn’t suck for us and honestly it may not suck for HCHF. What’s best for him just may be here and to never set foot in an SEC stadium as head ball coach again. Only the Lord knows.
By Tnobes
If Tennessee is his dream job I'd hate to see his nightmare job. I'm not sure I'd leave UMASS for Tennessee unless I'm just taking the contract and buyout and calling it a day. Take the money and run. If you are worried about your profession and reputation you stay clear of Tennessee
ballcoach15 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: January 19th, 2021, 1:06 pm I don’t know. You would think he has bigger fish to fry
POST OF THE YEAR!!! :gonefishin :rofl
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]