If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Touchdownmaker wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 12:15 pm
Kricket wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 11:06 am Outside of saying we have never had a player drafted higher than round 4, pretty good write up on Malik and his faith.

https://sportsspectrum.com/sports-spect ... mble-hype/
Actually, we had a player drafted in the first round…..Eric Green, 1990 by The Pittsburgh Steelers.
That's why I said "outside of that".
Touchdownmaker liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm surprised Sports Spectrum wasn't up to speed about Eric Green. Their motto is "where sports and faith connect", and they normally seem pretty knowledgeable about Liberty. I've heard a couple of interviews they did with Ritchie.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
During the UAB game last night, one of the announcers read a stat that I had NEVER heard of anybody at LU referencing from last year. The announcer said that Willis led college football in FUMBLES last year.

After church, I googled it, and sure enough, the announcer was CORRECT. :shock:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... son_id=118
Last edited by Cider Jim on October 3rd, 2021, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LU 57
Cider Jim wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 4:16 pm During the UAB game last night, one of the announcers read a stat that I had NEVER heard of anybody at LU referencing from last year. The announced said that Willis led college football in FUMBLES last year.

I was surprised to hear that as well.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
He played with his left arm in a brace last year. It's difficult to optimize ball protection in a brace, especially within the broader context of his style of play coupled with our pedestrian blocking.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Driving home from dropping off my some at A&M this afternoon I caught a bit of the Texans postgame show on the radio. Yeah I know. I am a glutton for punishment. Sean Pendergast (Seanie the Cablanasian for you old school Rome fans) and Clint Stoerner spent an entire segment focused on the fact that the only QB that has graded 1st round caliber coming up tot he midpoint of the season is Malik. They spent copious amounts of time going on and on about the Texans likely zeroing in on him for one of their first round draft picks including possibly #1 overall if they have it in their grasp. And as bad as they are, that seems likely. In spite of that one moment in Syracise, he is still generating massive buzz in NFL circles.
By LUOrange
Cider Jim wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 4:16 pm During the UAB game last night, one of the announcers read a stat that I had NEVER heard of anybody at LU referencing from last year. The announcer said that Willis led college football in FUMBLES last year.

As Parodox pointed out, I'm sure the arm injury/brace contributed to it, as well as it being his first year playing since high school. But I was really impressed with Dave Ryan and his partner with CBS. I enjoyed their broadcast, they really did their research, and they were actually at the game together(as opposed to ESPN doing a lot of our games remotely).
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: October 4th, 2021, 12:01 pm But I was really impressed with Dave Ryan and his partner with CBS. I enjoyed their broadcast, they really did their research, and they were actually at the game together(as opposed to ESPN doing a lot of our games remotely).
The only error that I heard in their broadcast was they commented that Hugh Freeze brought in Mack as an FCS transfer from Maine. Wasn't that something that Turner Gill did when he was our head coach? :dontgetit
By LUOrange
Cider Jim wrote: October 4th, 2021, 12:20 pm
LUOrange wrote: October 4th, 2021, 12:01 pm But I was really impressed with Dave Ryan and his partner with CBS. I enjoyed their broadcast, they really did their research, and they were actually at the game together(as opposed to ESPN doing a lot of our games remotely).
The only error that I heard in their broadcast was they commented that Hugh Freeze brought in Mack as an FCS transfer from Maine. Wasn't that something that Turner Gill did when he was our head coach? :dontgetit
I missed that. But yes, Gill brought him in.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Mel Kiper has Malik as the number 1 QB on his rankings released today. It's ESPN+ so I didn't put a link.
Kricket liked this
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Kiper has updated his assessment of Malik.
What impressed me most on Saturday: Willis taking over the game in the second half. This was actually a 3-3 game at halftime, with Willis and the Flames looking out of sync. But then Willis lit up the Blazers. In the third and fourth quarters, he went 6-of-9 passing for 191 yards and a touchdown and added six carries for 55 yards and two more scores. He spread the ball around to eight different receivers. He dominated and didn't even play the last couple of series.

The Auburn transfer now has 17 total touchdowns (11 passing) and zero interceptions for the season. He moved up to No. 1 in Total QBR. Willis stays away from mistakes and has progressed as a passer. He's playing like the clear QB1 of his draft class, with a matchup at Ole Miss and second-ranked signal-caller Matt Corral looming on Nov. 6.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insi ... NwkcGx9z9I
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I don't follow drafts at all but I noticed that at this point, Willis is a well- known figure in the ESPN world. How does a 3 INT game change draft projections? Very odd considering he only had 1 INT prior to Saturday, but in the end, will this drop him significantly or even at all?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Matt Corral is likely on the early first round radar as well. Makes the Ole Miss match-up in November all the more interesting.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Ultimately, I don't see MW being drafted until the 3rd or 4th QB drafted. He showed some vulnerability against MTSU. We were wondering if he was hurting somewhere. He was off on a few wide open passes that he would normally hit 90+% of the time. In addition, he was tackled solo at least 3 times by the first defender. Don't remember that happening at all this season thus far.
We will see, hopefully, he can finish strong. (Hard to say anything negative about a guy, with MW's numbers). Obviously, the Army and Ole Miss games will tell us a lot.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Rough crowd.

I mean, he's not perfect, but his total QBR is almost #1 in the country even after a 3 INT game and he's Mel Kiper's top QB.

He might not be the first QB taken, but I don't see how he falls to the fourth QB.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]