If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Ole Miss pretty much conceded the run game as far as our RBs go. They easily handled our receivers one on one. And seemed to have as many as six guys keying on Malik. The character, the toughness, the leadership....all this really stands out.

Love the overall team effort and never-say-die attitude in the second half.
thepostman, LU 57 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:41 am Ole Miss pretty much conceded the run game as far as our RBs go. They easily handled our receivers one on one. And seemed to have as many as six guys keying on Malik. The character, the toughness, the leadership....all this really stands out.

Love the overall team effort and never-say-die attitude in the second half.
Totally agree. Their defense was almost completely focused on Malik, and it took us too long to realize that we could take advantage of it with our running game. They are not the first opponent to do this. They are just the first one that had the athletes to pull it off. Malik was able to produce against the others anyway.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Ole Miss' Matt Corral vs. Liberty's Malik Willis: Five takeaways from QB prospect showcase
While these two quarterbacks are considered among the top talents at their position, both will have the option of returning to school if they so choose.
https://www.nfl.com/news/ole-miss-matt- ... prospect-s

Willis, a redshirt senior, told The Athletic in a story published this week that he has not yet made a decision about his future.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 12:47 pm Good write up. Take away those 9 sacks and 3 INTs, Liberty beats Ole Miss .
“If everything would’ve gone our way, we would’ve won!”

Gee, you don’t say.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
To the possibility of Malik not entering the draft, two thoughts:

1) his draft stock can’t get much higher than it is now
2) this year’s class is universally being considered a down one for QB’s. Haven’t looked at next year, but even more reason his stock can’t get any better if he waits.

No question he has room to develop. Should he do that at LU with great risk? Or do that with NFL coaches AFTER he has made some dough? Logically, it’s an easy choice.

STORY: I happened to catch 10 minutes of Philly sports talk radio midday today. In the midst of decrying their Eagles’ fate, the conversation about the draft and QB’s the Eagles could take came up. The Eagles have the #6ish pick this year, and 2-3 picks in the first round, I think. Jalen Hurts has been mediocre, so QB talk is constant.

Anyway, a caller mentioned Malik and described him as “more of the same we’ve had with Jalen Hurts.”

To his credit, the host cut him off, cut the call, and referred to that as “asinine thinking”. (Welcome to Philadelphia!)

The host went on to say that he’s watched Malik for three complete games this season. Said he puts way better spin on the ball than Hurts, pushes the ball far better and further downfield than Hurts, and is a risk-taker with throws in a way Hurts just isn’t - meaning, he’s going to throw some picks. He also added his short and medium accuracy may not be up to Hurts’ level.

Now, it’s talk radio. So, whatever. But all this to say Malik is very much high on the radar of fan bases that want a new QB this draft. It was kinda cool hearing Malik talked about at length in a major market. And I think he definitely has to go this year, much as I selfishly would love for him to stay.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 8th, 2021, 3:29 pm To the possibility of Malik not entering the draft, two thoughts:

1) his draft stock can’t get much higher than it is now
2) this year’s class is universally being considered a down one for QB’s. Haven’t looked at next year, but even more reason his stock can’t get any better if he waits.

No question he has room to develop. Should he do that at LU with great risk? Or do that with NFL coaches AFTER he has made some dough? Logically, it’s an easy choice.

STORY: I happened to catch 10 minutes of Philly sports talk radio midday today. In the midst of decrying their Eagles’ fate, the conversation about the draft and QB’s the Eagles could take came up. The Eagles have the #6ish pick this year, and 2-3 picks in the first round, I think. Jalen Hurts has been mediocre, so QB talk is constant.

Anyway, a caller mentioned Malik and described him as “more of the same we’ve had with Jalen Hurts.”

To his credit, the host cut him off, cut the call, and referred to that as “asinine thinking”. (Welcome to Philadelphia!)

The host went on to say that he’s watched Malik for three complete games this season. Said he puts way better spin on the ball than Hurts, pushes the ball far better and further downfield than Hurts, and is a risk-taker with throws in a way Hurts just isn’t - meaning, he’s going to throw some picks. He also added his short and medium accuracy may not be up to Hurts’ level.

Now, it’s talk radio. So, whatever. But all this to say Malik is very much high on the radar of fan bases that want a new QB this draft. It was kinda cool hearing Malik talked about at length in a major market. And I think he definitely has to go this year, much as I selfishly would love for him to stay.
It was probably @PAmedic :D :D :D
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like my man mikey miss
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Is that Angelo cataldi now? I don’t like his whole south jersey schtick
No offense.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
:lol: None taken, I’m not from here. But I think Angelo is the morning guy. This was Joe DeCamara and Jon Ritchie.

Anyway….
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Oh right. Decameras an az and Richie is a maniac. Not a big WIP guy.
Sorry everyone. Carry on
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
IMO Willis has dropped to a 3rd rounder or later. He looked bad on Saturday. Especially when compared to an injured Coral. Now scouts can see what he can do against higher caliber competition and it leaves a lot of question marks at the next level. Yes he has 0 receivers. Yes he has about 1 second in the pocket. But when he has time what does he do? He doesn’t throw it away, which is a must at the next level. You cannot have those sacks in the NFL. The first pick wasn’t hid fault. But the underthrow was. As was the last. Again compare to Coral, who was injured. He looked great. Dropping the ball into receivers. When pressured finding a way to deliver the ball or…..throw it away.
Malik is a really really good college QB. He is the best player LU has ever had come through those doors. I love the fact he has put LU on the map. The improvements in his game from last year to this are very noticeable. I’m just not sure he’s a 1st or 2nd rounder
flameshaw, Dalegarz1 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: November 9th, 2021, 9:21 pm Dude, you're trippin'
How many INT’s has he thrown against better competition? Not taking a sack is a huge grading point for NFL scouts and that’s a big problem for him. He has difficulty throwing the ball away. Incomplete Pass > Sack.
Lookit if he goes in the 3rd or 4th round that is monumentally huge for him and LU. There’s no understating that
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
These are oversimplifications, my friend.

He was mostly on target while under extreme duress. Getting swarmed by as many as seven rushers...while his receivers struggled to find separation. it's situational. He's clearly a playmaker.

The skillset is on a very high level. And the grit and resolve is off the charts.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: November 9th, 2021, 11:32 pm These are oversimplifications, my friend.

He was mostly on target while under extreme duress. Getting swarmed by as many as seven rushers...while his receivers struggled to find separation. it's situational. He's clearly a playmaker.

The skillset is on a very high level. And the grit and resolve is off the charts.
Absolutely no question the dude is a battler. Never will question that. I also stated earlier that his receivers aren’t….let’s just say aren’t FBS ready to be charitable. (Still stinging over that 3rd down drop in the 4th qtr) I also agree he is under duress …a lot! And that’s where the grading down begins. He won’t throw it away. While he can make electric plays he’s also costing the team his sacks he doesn’t need to take (half the sacks we’re on him last week half on the O Line).
His accuracy is greatly improved but compared to an injured Coral? He still needs work.
@JK37 makes the point that it’s a skinny QB class so that could help. But I can see GMs taking a flyer on someone from Blue Mountain State over Willis as well
Again, getting drafter in the 3rd or 4th round would be incredible! I hope he goes #1 even. I just don’t think it’s a realistic expectation
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I can't see him going later than a 2nd from just his tools alone, but the criticisms are valid. He does cause some of the sacks to occur and sometimes accuracy is suspect.

I just think a starting QB who gets paid like a 2nd rounder is too enticing for at least one NFL GM. Even if it takes a year or so of grooming, still worth the shot.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 10th, 2021, 8:23 am
paradox wrote: November 9th, 2021, 11:32 pm These are oversimplifications, my friend.

Absolutely no question the dude is a battler. Never will question that. I also stated earlier that his receivers aren’t….let’s just say aren’t FBS ready to be charitable. (Still stinging over that 3rd down drop in the 4th qtr) I also agree he is under duress …a lot! And that’s where the grading down begins. He won’t throw it away. While he can make electric plays he’s also costing the team his sacks he doesn’t need to take (half the sacks we’re on him last week half on the O Line).
His accuracy is greatly improved but compared to an injured Coral? He still needs work.
@JK37 makes the point that it’s a skinny QB class so that could help. But I can see GMs taking a flyer on someone from Blue Mountain State over Willis as well
Again, getting drafter in the 3rd or 4th round would be incredible! I hope he goes #1 even. I just don’t think it’s a realistic expectation
Blaming the QB when everything else is broken is what fans do. That's why they say that the back-up QB is the most popular guy in town.

Can't really predict what each GM is gonna do in the draft. Can't imagine the Steelers passing on him in the 1st, let alone the 2nd. Same with the Carolina Panthers. MW's ceiling is just too high. Someone will cash in. Hopefully, not the Lions with the first pick. Later in the first or sliding into the second would be ideal. But again, how do the Steelers and Panthers pass over him in the 1st? As a Giants fan, I'm not giving up on Jones. The potential is there. But they have two first round picks and an early second. Honestly, Giants would be better right now with MW under center. Would love to see it.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:02 am I can't see him going later than a 2nd from just his tools alone, but the criticisms are valid. He does cause some of the sacks to occur and sometimes accuracy is suspect.

I just think a starting QB who gets paid like a 2nd rounder is too enticing for at least one NFL GM. Even if it takes a year or so of grooming, still worth the shot.
Opinions will vary. Once upon a time there was a very serious debate involving Peyton Manning vs. Ryan Leaf. The list of guys who had talent but lacked the inner intangibles is endless. Remember Josh Rosen and the infamous hot tub in his dorm room? MW has all the skills as well as the inner characteristics that can't be measured......but are necessary and vital to winning in the NFL.
By willflop
I have no idea what's going to happen, but isn't his not throwing it away and taking sacks one of the most correctable faults he has? Meaning, it's just a choice he makes, which has probably been engrained from so many previous reps of always finding a way. People can't choose to be bigger, faster, stronger (within a relative range). Much like last year, he led the nation in fumbles, and I can't remember how many times I heard the phrase "carrying the ball like a bread loaf." That appears to have been 90% corrected in the off season. So, it doesn't seem like it should have that much weight.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]