If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
In interview with ASOR, QB coach Kent Austin says that Malik is grading out over 90% for both execution and decision making in practice, and that "if he keeps that up, we're in pretty good shape". First question that came to mind for me was how does that compare with last year at this time? I'm assuming it's higher, since he wasn't even announced as the starter yet back then, but if he is significantly improved, this could be a really special year.

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: August 11th, 2021, 10:00 pm The CCU QB is a good player. Not sure he belongs that high on the list, but he is pretty impressive. We did a pretty good job against him.
McCall is good and a furious competitor
JK37 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: August 9th, 2021, 10:25 pm I hope (and assume) he's only getting better.. especially at holding on to the football.
Everything will improve, but so will our opponent's preparation. In context, the turnovers aren't a huge issue because most of them occurred while Malik was trying to do too much. He did it only because he had to...a justifiable risk/reward. Moreover, Malik's will to win is on a very high level. That would appear to be his singular aim. Couldn't ask for a better QB mindset.
flameshaw liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Malik Willis getting a big write up on ESPN today and there are some good nuggets. I never heard this one before:
Willis checked his daily Bible verse app the day before his official visit to Liberty in Lynchburg, Virginia, and the app displayed 2 Corinthians 3:17.

Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty.

The next day, when Willis walked into Liberty's facility, he saw the verse on the wall.

"I'm like, 'Ain't no way. Ain't no way.' I ain't even tell nobody that," Willis said. "I just kind of like kept it to myself. But I knew right then I was like, 'Yep, this the place I'm supposed to go.'"
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... lik-willis

Willis seems genuine about using his platform to spread the Gospel. Pretty good stuff.
ballcoach15, flamehunter, TH Spangler and 8 others liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Kricket wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 7:55 am Malik Willis getting a big write up on ESPN today and there are some good nuggets. I never heard this one before:
Willis checked his daily Bible verse app the day before his official visit to Liberty in Lynchburg, Virginia, and the app displayed 2 Corinthians 3:17.

Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty.

The next day, when Willis walked into Liberty's facility, he saw the verse on the wall.

"I'm like, 'Ain't no way. Ain't no way.' I ain't even tell nobody that," Willis said. "I just kind of like kept it to myself. But I knew right then I was like, 'Yep, this the place I'm supposed to go.'"
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... lik-willis

Willis seems genuine about using his platform to spread the Gospel. Pretty good stuff.
Trying to recall anything this overtly positive about Liberty or one of our athletes coming from ESPN. EVER. I got nuthin. 8)
LU 57, CCWMichael, Kricket and 1 others liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
We've never had a player anywhere near this level until now. I might add this about the ESPN piece, the racism bit is not only silly, but also very bush league to add it. Otherwise, decent write-up.
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:53 am We've never had a player anywhere near this level until now. I might add this about the ESPN piece, the racism bit is not only silly, but also very bush league to add it.
I agree the mention of the events following the JR tweet was unnecessary, but it was pretty much accurate, and did not come across to me as particularly negative.

BTW, I would not be surprised if there has been some "transfer regret" on the part of 1 or 2 of those athletes.

I would say Eric Green was certainly near Malik's level, but that was an anomaly at a time we were not even a blip on the major media radar screen.
By LU 57
olldflame wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 10:05 am
paradox wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:53 am We've never had a player anywhere near this level until now. I might add this about the ESPN piece, the racism bit is not only silly, but also very bush league to add it.
I agree the mention of the events following the JR tweet was unnecessary, but it was pretty much accurate, and did not come across to me as particularly negative.

BTW, I would not be surprised if there has been some "transfer regret" on the part of 1 or 2 of those athletes.

I would say Eric Green was certainly near Malik's level, but that was an anomaly at a time we were not even a blip on the major media radar screen.
The bit regarding Junior’s tweet lacked context. The tweet was ridiculous, and unbecoming of a university president. However, it was meant to call out Northam’s hypocrisy. A fair article would have mentioned that. To be expected from ESPN I guess.

Agree on Eric Green. I was in HS at the time and recall the buzz around Coach Sam and Eric Green. There was a cover story in Sports Illustrated and a feature on Sports Center. Pretty big deal in the late 80s/early 90s.
Kricket, LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Eric was always an anomaly and project until Sam arrived. Sam believed in his NFL potential and really pushed him to get better. Sam was still connected w/Browns organization at that time, and when word leaked out that they liked him in 1st round, Steelers stepped in and stole him away.

Malik is completely different. It's not a fair comparison. Willis has that Old-school blue-collar lunch pale style work ethic. He's tough as nails. Big-time leader. Fierce competitor. Good head on his shoulders. Extremely focused. Multi-talented. Shoulders are broad enough to carry entire team, if necessary The only truly great player in any sport that I've ever seen at LU. (.....just one guy's take.......and still hoping Darius proves me wrong.....potential is there)
Last edited by paradox on September 20th, 2021, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 9:53 am We've never had a player anywhere near this level until now. I might add this about the ESPN piece, the racism bit is not only silly, but also very bush league to add it. Otherwise, decent write-up.
Typical ESPN spin. The Hypocrisy the tweet pointed out is in Richmond. :idea:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Eric Green's son, Elijah, is one of the top baseball prospects in the nation.
Eric briefly considered playing baseball when at LU. I think he even took some BP.

He's has committed to Miami, but might sign, if drafted high enough.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on August 22nd, 2021, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 3:02 pm Eric Green's son, Elijah, is one of the top baseball prospects in the nation.
Eric briefly considered playing baseball when at LU. I think he even took some BP.
I'm not sure what his reasons are, but I believe Eric is on record as saying he doesn't want his son to have anything to do with LU. The closest Eric got to high level baseball himself was smoking crack with Dave Parker.
By LUOrange
As a fan and an alumnus, I'm very proud of Malik for everything we know about him and that's been said, especially that ESPN quote above. Right now, he's the face of Liberty and represents much of what's good about Liberty. I'm also proud that, so far, he appears to be nothing like the student Eric Green was when he was here.

I, also, pray that AGG and Malik's career and accolades in the NFL far exceeds Green's, and that they don't ever have the same off the field issues either.
LU 57, phoenix liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 11:28 amMalik is much different. He's got that blue-collar lunch pale work ethic. An old-fashioned tough as nails football player. Fierce competitor. Good head on his shoulders. Focused. Leader. Multi-talented. Physically gifted. The only truly great player in any sport that I've ever seen at LU. (.....just one guy's take.......and still hoping Darius proves me wrong.....potential is there)
Do you consider a runner a player?

I would add some EG stories but I know they would immediately appear in my encounter thread.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 9:16 am
paradox wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 11:28 amMalik is much different. He's got that blue-collar lunch pale work ethic. An old-fashioned tough as nails football player. Fierce competitor. Good head on his shoulders. Focused. Leader. Multi-talented. Physically gifted. The only truly great player in any sport that I've ever seen at LU. (.....just one guy's take.......and still hoping Darius proves me wrong.....potential is there)
Do you consider a runner a player?

I would add some EG stories but I know they would immediately appear in my encounter thread.
He's got those inner qualities that you can't measure. His hard-nosed determination to win. Skill players nowadays have that Hollywood mentality. They even pay attention to stats. Malik is a flat-out old-school football player. He's there to win and he'll make any sacrifice to get there. Ultimate team guy, who runs because we need it.
LUOrange, TH Spangler liked this
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
ESPN wrote:College football's top 100 players for 2021: Spencer Rattler, Kayvon Thibodeaux and more
ESPN staff

We've finally made it. The 2021 college football season is kicking off this week. And unlike last year, all conferences are a go right from the start this fall.

With that, it's time to break down the top 100 players who will be most worth watching. Over the course of a few weeks, we had our college football experts vote on which players would be best this season.

Is Oklahoma's Spencer Rattler primed to be the top player? Should Clemson's D.J. Uiagalelei be ranked higher?
Click Here for Full Story
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I guess, we'll see how this season plays out. It won't be easy for LU to match last season's success. But, there is certainly enough there for Malik to build on. I'm optimistic that he'll have more help surrounding him this year.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I was floored when I read this:

This is from Mel Kiper:
OK, so Liberty hasn't played the toughest schedule so far -- vs. Campbell, at Troy, vs. Old Dominion -- but Willis leads the country in Total QBR and looks improved from his excellent 2020 season. He's completing 71% of his passes with seven touchdowns and no picks while rushing for 225 yards and four more scores. Willis is averaging 9.7 air yards per attempt, so he's not dinking and dunking down the field. He's making NFL throws...
https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insi ... -takeaways

I had no idea Malik was leading the country in total QBR. Well done Malik!
ballcoach15, Dalegarz1, LU 57 and 6 others liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]