Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I hate putting a cart before the horse but being our bowl projections are making the rounds here I go.

Can both LU (rat poison) and Coastal go undefeated? It is possible.

Just imagine a New Years day bowl bid on the line against the beach chickens! BURN THE SHIPS!
CCWMichael wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:21 pm I hate putting a cart before the horse but being our bowl projections are making the rounds here I go.

Just imagine a New Years day bowl bid on the line against the beach chickens! BURN THE SHIPS!
How would we be in play for a New Years Day bowl?
prototype liked this
CCWMichael wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:21 pm I hate putting a cart before the horse but being our bowl projections are making the rounds here I go.

Less than zero chance. I am surprised I haven't heard MW for the Heisman Trophy yet. No one here is a bigger LU fan than me, but somewhere along the line, you have to be realistic. :football :football
With "losing teams" being bowl eligible this year, it's going to be difficult for LU to get anything but the Cure Bowl, I am afraid. The "middle of the road" bowls will take losing teams from P5 conferences. If we were to go undefeated, we'd have 3 ACC wins. (there are some ACC schools that may not have 3 wins in conference). Those stupid bowl tie-ins will hurt LU. With all this being said, the bowl game in Charlotte would be a perfect venue for LU to play a SEC or ACC team.
prototype wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:23 pm Neither team will go undefeated and even if we did - we wouldn't be playing on New Year's Day... Good to dream, but not to smoke crack;)

The highest G5 gets the selection committee 6. I think there is a shot this year however, undefeated is not easy.
Let's say we lose to VT by 2 or 3 in a close game and other G5 records are less than ours. I think that part could easily happen IF, IF, IF we win.
flameshaw wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:31 pm

Less than zero chance. I am surprised I haven't heard MW for the Heisman Trophy yet. No one here is a bigger LU fan than me, but somewhere along the line, you have to be realistic. :football :football
MW is far from H-man material at this point. I disagree with less than zero chance. This is the year all windows are open. This may be our best chance. Then again, whoda thunk we would be garnering votes for the top 25 in both polls?
CCWMichael wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:58 pm
prototype wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:23 pm Neither team will go undefeated and even if we did - we wouldn't be playing on New Year's Day... Good to dream, but not to smoke crack;)

The highest G5 gets the selection committee 6. I think there is a shot this year however, undefeated is not easy.
Let's say we lose to VT by 2 or 3 in a close game and other G5 records are less than ours. I think that part could easily happen IF, IF, IF we win.
CCW - we aren’t part of G5 - the one guaranteed NYD Bowl for highest rated G5 ( with a minimum ranking requirement ) is reserved for official G5 conference members.
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:22 pm

How would we be in play for a New Years Day bowl?
Best G5 school .... as an Indy we still hold to potentially have a better record than the G5 schools. Even at 1 loss and lets say a close one to VT we still can sway the committee in my fantasy 2020 world.

We aren't part of that highest G5 deal. Because we're independent, we don't have that tie in.
tyndal23 wrote: October 19th, 2020, 3:02 pm

CCW - we aren’t part of G5 - the one guaranteed NYD Bowl for highest rated G5 ( with a minimum ranking requirement ) is reserved for official G5 conference members.

yeah, contracts are a bugger.
CCWMichael wrote: October 19th, 2020, 3:00 pm
flameshaw wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:31 pm

MW is far from H-man material at this point. I disagree with less than zero chance. This is the year all windows are open. This may be our best chance. Then again, whoda thunk we would be garnering votes for the top 25 in both polls?
The Heisman Trophy will go to Alabama QB or Clemson QB. Three finalists will be those 2, plus Clemson or Alabama running back.
CCWMichael liked this

Good shot by the end of the season we are ranked higher than the three G5's playing now?
As most of you know and as of right now and as an Independent with our current schedules, our cieling is a Top 25 ranking and a high to mid tiered Bowl game that is not apart of the NY6. This is fine because we're in the same boat as 90% of the rest of FBS and it's still better than being FCS and playing Monmouth and St. Francis.
Since we are speaking hypothetically and dreaming wild dreams, just for conversation sake, we already know that both Memphis and UCF will both have loses at the end of the season. Naturally, if we go undefeated, a ranked Coastal team would also have a loss. So, if we did not get a NYB game after an undefeated season with 3 wins over P5 schools (and 1 of them currently ranked) and defeating Coastal, rest assured that the howling can then take place. I guarantee you that the rule would be changed for future seasons to include independents.
CCWMichael liked this
CCWMichael wrote: October 19th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Good shot by the end of the season we are ranked higher than the three G5's playing now?
I haven’t looked it up in a while but I believe to get the Auto bid, the best G5 has to be ranked 15th or better by Playoff Committee for the guaranteed spot. If not then Bowl Committee from one of those bowls can invite someone else. BYU has a fan base big enough for a bowl to take and with the ease of schedule and early love - might very well make it if Cinci can’t run the table. I believe on paper LU could theoretically make it the same way - not going to bother researching all of it.
LUDad wrote: October 19th, 2020, 4:48 pm Since we are speaking hypothetically and dreaming wild dreams, just for conversation sake, we already know that both Memphis and UCF will both have loses at the end of the season. Naturally, if we go undefeated, a ranked Coastal team would also have a loss. So, if we did not get a NYB game after an undefeated season with 3 wins over P5 schools (and 1 of them currently ranked) and defeating Coastal, rest assured that the howling can then take place. I guarantee you that the rule would be changed for future seasons to include independents.
I would not go to Vegas with my hypothetical. The weird part is thee way this year is.PAC 12 playing 7 games. the Big 10 is truncated. Will they get to play their games? 3 G5 playing minus 1 team. If there is a year a bowl may option for a larger volume of work on the field this is it. Fans in the stands may not be a selling point for teams this year. So much is not right this year.
Do I think it will happen? Not betting on it. Can it? I think so.
Yes, this is a year that can alter many things. Start with recruiting and go from there ....
The pollsters should not rank any PAC 12 or Big 10 team. Both conferences play a watered down schedule, and mostly cupcakes. Any 2 loss SEC team will be better than any undefeated B10 or PAC 12 team. I am afraid this season will show just how little integrity the selection committee has.
Heck, pollsters now have Ohio State ranked 3rd, which is a total joke.
UPDATE!!!!!!

Words being thrown around on ESPN that Liberty winning 5 more puts us in?

"5. Liberty: The Flames are last on the list because it's highly unlikely that they will finish the season undefeated, but if Hugh Freeze can make that miracle happen, Liberty might have the best résumé of any non-Power 5 team in the playoff era. The Flames would have defeated Syracuse, won in Blacksburg against No. 19 Virginia Tech, won on the road against No. 23 NC State and won on the road at No. 25 Coastal Carolina."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ck-big-way
CCWMichael wrote: October 25th, 2020, 11:55 am UPDATE!!!!!!

Words being thrown around on ESPN that Liberty winning 5 more puts us in?

"5. Liberty: The Flames are last on the list because it's highly unlikely that they will finish the season undefeated, but if Hugh Freeze can make that miracle happen, Liberty might have the best résumé of any non-Power 5 team in the playoff era. The Flames would have defeated Syracuse, won in Blacksburg against No. 19 Virginia Tech, won on the road against No. 23 NC State and won on the road at No. 25 Coastal Carolina."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ck-big-way
Everyone just pause a moment and think about that. No seriously. Pause and think about what we’re experiencing. Sure we ALL realize how daunting a task that is. But just pause and think about what we’re experiencing 3 years into FBS. A place most people said we didn’t belong. This is special you guys. Enjoy this. Soak it in. Enjoy the ride. I know I am!
CCWMichael, LU 57, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
Initially I was sorta dismissive bc of their conf affiliation but this is a VERY solid team

51–0 in a FBS game is impressive , I don’t care that it was against Georgia State

Hoping our game gets played to see how we stack up but they are GOOD
PAmedic wrote: October 31st, 2020, 2:52 pm Initially I was sorta dismissive bc of their conf affiliation but this is a VERY solid team

51–0 in a FBS game is impressive , I don’t care that it was against Georgia State

Hoping our game gets played to see how we stack up but they are GOOD
People here will still say they’re overrated and media darlings.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]