Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By tyndal23
SumItUp wrote: November 15th, 2020, 10:04 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: November 15th, 2020, 7:56 pm Miami is another one of those teams that isn't as good as their ranking, or record.
You light up the room.
Ha. BC has his convictions. Noting wrong with that, other than they are often wrong. Miami being overrated -I hear that a lot, but they were down a lot of players vs VT. LU overrated according to a lot of people - but unless you really delve in to rosters every week ( and even major networks don’t bother ) it is really hard to compare week to week without that Covid / Injury data. I heard Alan York say it wouldn’t have mattered if VT stud RB had played after opening kickoff - we still would have won. I highly doubt it. But that is the fun of college football - arguing. On the flip side they were near full strength as opposed to their first two games they won with about 50 % of their players out mostly on D. As for Miami, they have a winning QB, as does LU and that makes up for a ton in CFB. NC State backup, now starting QB, is feeling his oats the past 2 weeks and will be an issue. They are bigger but we are quicker. We will get stops. But they can also score quick. I see HF going complete opposite game plan vs VT unless we get a 2 td lead late 2nd half. Anyone watching knows we milk the clock 4 Qtr no matter what ( was surprised announcers acted like that wasn’t part of our MO ) we haven’t gone uptempo near as often as slow tempo in general. 4th qtr with a lead we go turtle pace and I love it. Complete different feel than when TG tried it. O Line is legit.
LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
A little speculating after next week. :wink:
22. Liberty Flames 8-0
This is a complete and total guess – even more than any of the other teams on this list. If Liberty loses to NC State this week, it’ll start around 22ish. If it wins, it won’t be crazy to assume it’ll be in the top ten with road wins over Virginia Tech, NC State, and – scoff, but it’s an ACC team – Syracuse. That would be three road wins over Power Five teams, while BYU and Cincinnati won’t have any.
https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/11 ... ovember-24
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Win or lose, it's good to be in playoff discussion.

A friend of mine told me Saturday: " with your luck, Liberty and Alabama will meet for National Championship, and then you can't lose"

He accuses me of always being on a bandwagon
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 16th, 2020, 8:33 am A little speculating after next week. :wink:
22. Liberty Flames 8-0
This is a complete and total guess – even more than any of the other teams on this list. If Liberty loses to NC State this week, it’ll start around 22ish. If it wins, it won’t be crazy to assume it’ll be in the top ten with road wins over Virginia Tech, NC State, and – scoff, but it’s an ACC team – Syracuse. That would be three road wins over Power Five teams, while BYU and Cincinnati won’t have any.
That’s good to read. The only difference is low P5’s have been willing to schedule Liberty, whereas Cincy and BYU can’t get those teams to play them because of the risk. We’ll see if that holds in the future. For now, just win baby! And enjoy the ride.
By Geraldos Mustache
TH Spangler wrote: November 16th, 2020, 8:33 am A little speculating after next week. :wink:
22. Liberty Flames 8-0
This is fascinating. If Liberty beats NC State - it is going to create chaos for those who rank teams. What the hell do you do with a 9-0 Liberty with 3 ACC wins. It's got to be perplexing for the people evaluating talent.

Be sure of this - when it happens, Liberty is going to get the cold shoulder. It always happens with "no name" teams who find themselves in the National conversation. I remember when NIU want to the Orange Bowl to face Florida State. NIU didn't belong there - but they did belong there. It was a very strange situation.

Per Wikipedia:
"The Florida State Seminoles clinched a berth in the 2013 Orange Bowl by winning the 2012 ACC Championship. The Northern Illinois Huskies became the first MAC team to earn a BCS berth by being the 15th ranked team in the nation. A school from a BCS non-automatic qualifying conference earns a bid if in the top sixteen and ranked ahead of a champion from an automatic qualifying conference. The Huskies, winners of the 2012 MAC Championship Game, became the first team from the MAC to make a BCS bowl."

NIU was 12-1 and ranked #15 going into the Orange Bowl. Their only loss was week 1 vs. Iowa (18-17). NIU also had a 1-point win over Army and a win over Kansas. It took NIU 2-OT to win the MAC Championship game vs. #18 Kent State. All in all, not a terribly convincing schedule.

It is conceivable Liberty could be in a similar situation to that 2012 NIU team if we finish the season with an 11-0 record and get ranked in the top 16. I would argue that 3 wins over ACC opponents would be better than NIU's results vs. Iowa, Army and Kansas.
By Jonathan Carone
I would think a win over NC State could put us over Marshall/Coastal, but I don't think we go much further than that. You look at the top 15 and I don't see us getting above those schools this year.
LUOrange liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
We only dropped to 27 in the coaches poll. What this tells me is that in some ways our close loss proved we weren't complete pretenders.

Also, if we go out and beat U Mass and Coastal we definitely will end the season ranked going into a bowl. That still has me pinching myself.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have been looking at football polls since 1965, and I have never seen as many over ranked teams, as I do this week.
By Ill flame
There are 3 top 25 matchups this week plus #24 Tulsa being slight dogs against houston. As long as we take care of business against Umass we should be ranked next week.
ballcoach15 liked this
By VarsityLu
ballcoach15 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 3:15 pm I have been looking at football polls since 1965, and I have never seen as many over ranked teams, as I do this week.
Like who? Who exactly is overranked? Give justification, too.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VarsityLu wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:53 am
ballcoach15 wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 3:15 pm I have been looking at football polls since 1965, and I have never seen as many over ranked teams, as I do this week.
Fraudcoach will never answer a question. Fraudcoach will never explain himself. It’s worthless to expect otherwise
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ND, Cincinnati, and all Big 10 and PAC 12 teams. Big 10 and P12 haven't played enough games. Tx A&M is over ranked also.
North Carolina should not be ranked.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
If both Texas and Tulsa lose we should be back in provided we take care of business. I do not think UNC will drop out with a loss unless they get hammered by ND. Another one to keep an eye on Colorado vs USC.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Oregon, USC and Wisconsin should not even be among those receiving votes, much less ranked. Wisconsin has a 2-1 record. That's not worthy of any ranking.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 10:41 pm Oregon, USC and Wisconsin should not even be among those receiving votes, much less ranked. Wisconsin has a 2-1 record. That's not worthy of any ranking.
Maybe you could be helpful with a softball question. Sorry coach, but you have no idea about football. Not with this post.
I haven't even looked at the top 25 this week. I will say that UNC, CCU, USC are all over-rated. (I am a USC fan by the way). A&M is not over-rated.
CCU is not a top 25 team, neither were we. But to say that Oregon, Wisconsin and USC should not be rated, or even get a vote is certifiably crazy.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach HATES certain conferences and certain teams which absolutely clouds his reasoning ability.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Let those B10 and P12 schools play a schedule as strong as most SEC schools play, and see what their record is. A 2 loss SEC team is better than an undefeated team, from a lesser conference. It's going to be interesting when CFP committee releases that rankings tonight.
If I were voting, it would be Alabama, Clemson, Florida and BYU in top 4.

Who has Oregon, Wisconsin and USC played ? Better yet, who will they play that any good ?
By VarsityLu
ballcoach15 wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 9:57 pm
ND, Cincinnati, and all Big 10 and PAC 12 teams. Big 10 and P12 haven't played enough games. Tx A&M is over ranked also.
North Carolina should not be ranked.
ND beat Clemson. Have you seen Clemson play? Etienne is not going to win the Heisman, but I think he is the best player in college football right now. I get it, Lawrence was out for that game, but beating Clemson is still a big, big, big deal. Oh, wait, you think they are overrated. Got it. Cinci is feaking good. And undefeated. If you have seen them play you'd agree. Ohio State is loaded. Absolutely loaded. Fields is a Heisman finalist and Olave is by far the best receiver in a generation. He is a freak. A&M has only lost one game. One. You guessed it: to Alabama. Oh, and they beat Florida. You know, the number 6 team in the nation? But they are overrated, right? I agree with UNC. But they are only ranked 25, so it's hard to make the claim they are overrated. After all, we are 27th. Is UNC better than us? Debatable. They did beat all three of our common opponents, by bigger margins, too, if that is any indication of how we compare. And I don't think putting 2 undefeated PAC 12 teams in the top 25 is unreasonable.

Just out of curiosity, exactly how many games should a team have to play before they are ranked? PAC has played 3 and the B1Gs have played 5. You think that is not enough, so I would greatly like to hear what your magic games-needed-to-be-played number is.

What's funny is that the two teams that ACTUALLY might be overrated you didn't even mention: Texas and Oklahoma. Those were your best chance at a reasonable argument, but you went with ND, A&M, and the B1G conf. Too funny.
By VarsityLu
ballcoach15 wrote: November 24th, 2020, 9:00 am Let those B10 and P12 schools play a schedule as strong as most SEC schools play, and see what their record is. A 2 loss SEC team is better than an undefeated team, from a lesser conference. It's going to be interesting when CFP committee releases that rankings tonight.
If I were voting, it would be Alabama, Clemson, Florida and BYU in top 4.

Who has Oregon, Wisconsin and USC played ? Better yet, who will they play that any good ?
Ohio State is definitely a top 3 team. I think Ohio State is better than Florida and BYU. In fact, OSU is one of the only teams in the country that could take on Alabama and Clemson. Very few teams other than Ohio State have the personnel to match up with them. And you do know that ND beat Clemson, right?
FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

This right here. You think most of the out[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]