Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 12:20 am
alabama24 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 12:16 am I think more people might be pulling for Alabama this year than in any recent year
Alabama is going to have problems with OSUs speed and the big play.
You might be right. BAMA did what was expected to ND, but ohio blew Clemson out of the water.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Clemson was hindered by their OC being out, and once the crooked refs ejected the LB, Clemson defense wasn't the same.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 4:44 am Clemson was hindered by their OC being out, and once the crooked refs ejected the LB, Clemson defense wasn't the same.
OSU certainly looked fresh coming off a grueling 6 game season 😄
Purple Haize liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 4:44 am ...once the crooked refs ejected the LB, Clemson defense wasn't the same.
Ballcoach, you admitted that you didn't watch the game. Did you even see the play on your phone? Even your most trusted source, who has tried his best to coach you up, said it was targeting.

I graduated from an SEC school, but I grew up 2 hours south of Columbus on the other side of the Ohio River, so I'll be pulling for Ohio State in the championship. They are much easier to watch without Urban Meyer as their head coach. :football
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 12:32 am I don't have have a dog in the fight but if I have to pick then I pick Ohio State just because because it'll be fun to mess with the ol' ballcoach about it.
I mean, that’s a legit factor in the decision making process
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 4:44 am Clemson was hindered by their OC being out, and once the crooked refs ejected the LB, Clemson defense wasn't the same.
How do you know. You didn’t even watch the game? Unless you were lying.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Plus it was textbook targeting. We can debate the rule but the refs had no choice but to make that call. Nothing crooked about it.
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:59 am Plus it was textbook targeting. We can debate the rule but the refs had no choice but to make that call. Nothing crooked about it.
I also thought targeting was very obvious, but I also saw a bunch of people complaining on twitter about it. It was more of a dangerous hit than most targeting calls IMO.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Here is the rule
Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet
ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 9-6) (A.R. 9-1-3-I)
SOURCE

So yeah. Seems like a pretty straight forward, textbook example of targeting.
By LUalum12
Registration Days Posts
Tough call but ultimately, I think the refs got it right. He did lead with his helmet but..... does the call fall under the below definition? That part is debatable for sure.

" 'Targeting' means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." The targeting rule was developed as a player safety measure."

https://www.secsports.com/article/27981 ... %20measure.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It’s a tough rule. If the runner doesn’t spin then it’s a legal hit. But when the runner spun...boom..targeting
ballcoach15 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
When a rule ends with "when in question, it is a foul" they are always going to lean on the side of caution. It is tough because like PH said, it wouldn't of been targeting if the runner hadn't of spun.

Most rational people understand the rule for what it is. The refs calling it doesn't make them "crooked" but rational thinking isn't very easy for some people.
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
My sources told me yesterday, "it was a textbook tackle ". PH is correct about the spin move. That's why this is a bad rule, the way it's written. A defensive player should not have to wait for a spin move, before committing to a tackle.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Well your sources were wrong. You would have known that if you had watched the game. Commenting on something without actually seeing it is not good practice.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You never mentioned that. Regardless, you called the refs crooked when they they in fact made the correct call.

Also, here is some context as to why this rule is written the way it is.

ATrain liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
#11 Indiana has just tied Ole Miss with 6 minutes left. :shock:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
So Ole Miss gets the win.
But Indiana is 6-2 and they are 5-5, so Indiana is better. :roll:

Personal note: remarkable job for the Hoosiers to hang in against an SEC team without their do-it-all QB Pennix. Playing without him is about like playing without Willis would be for us. Fortunately, the only time we had to was against an FCS team.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Losing to an unranked team should drop Hooisers in final poll, but since they're B10, they're probably move up in poll.

Where was their QB ?
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]