Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 5:17 pm Losing to an unranked team should drop Hooisers in final poll, but since they're B10, they're probably move up in poll.

Where was their QB ?
Torn ACL a few weeks ago.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 5:23 pm I just saw on Twitter, that 3 SEC teams with losing records, beat 3 ranked teams in bowl games.
I don't think anyone is surprised by that. We pretty much all know and acknowledge that the SEC is the strongest conference in FBS football and it is routine for middle of the pack SEC teams to beat teams from other conferences with better records. If anything, that makes your assertion that somehow Liberty has the best record other than Alabama more ridiculous. The best team we played and the only one that beat us just lost to an SEC team with a losing record.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 5:12 pm So Ole Miss gets the win.
But Indiana is 6-2 and they are 5-5, so Indiana is better. :roll:

Personal note: remarkable job for the Hoosiers to hang in against an SEC team without their do-it-all QB Pennix. Playing without him is about like playing without Willis would be for us. Fortunately, the only time we had to was against an FCS team.
Absolutely horrible for IU losing Pennix. IMVHO if he doesn’t go down the B1G doesn’t change their rules about a 6 game minimum. Those two things happened almost simultaneously. The fact that they were able to hang with Ole Miss is a testament to Allen as a coach and why he should have been coach of the year. The fact that he is commenting on a situation he knows nothing about is why he will always be #fraudcoach
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Well TA&M didn't do much to support their claim to being the 4th team in the playoffs. Being tied with the Tarholes until late in the 4th quarter, doesn't help your street or poll cred much.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 9:35 am The Bleacher Report has LU at #17. :) But Coastal at #14. :dontgetit

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/292 ... owl-season
Disappointing, but not really surprising, and I suspect it will not be the last time we see them ranked ahead of us. I'm not a big fan of whining, but I was happy to see HF point out the incongruity of our low ranking relative to some other G5 level teams in light of our results and schedule. I thought he handled it well, and hope he continues to do so.
ballcoach15, Liberty22 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 9:44 am
Cider Jim wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 9:35 am The Bleacher Report has LU at #17. :) But Coastal at #14. :dontgetit

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/292 ... owl-season
Disappointing, but not really surprising, and I suspect it will not be the last time we see them ranked ahead of us. I'm not a big fan of whining, but I was happy to see HF point out the incongruity of our low ranking relative to some other G5 level teams in light of our results and schedule. I thought he handled it well, and hope he continues to do so.
HF will get use to it. Welcome to Liberty :lol: it makes us work harder!
By Ill flame
flameshaw wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 2:37 pm How did the BIG and Big12 do?

Big 12: 5-0
MAC: 2-0
Sunbelt: 4-1
SEC: 6-2
B1G: 3-1
Independents: 2-1
MWC: 2-1
AAC: 1-5
PAC 12: 0-2
C-USA: 0-6
ACC: 0-6
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 4:06 pm Big 12 going 5-0 was a bit of a shocker to me. Good for them.

Sun Belt went 4-1. Their only loser???? 8)
ACC 0-6 was my shocker
By BlueBlood
Purple Haize wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 5:08 pm
olldflame wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 4:06 pm Big 12 going 5-0 was a bit of a shocker to me. Good for them.

Sun Belt went 4-1. Their only loser???? 8)
ACC 0-6 was my shocker
The bowl season’s way of slotting matchups has a lot to do with this.* The B12 not getting any teams in the CFP greatly benefited them from a bowl matchup perspective. The B12 was favored in every bowl game (edit: I just checked because I wasn't sure about UF/OU)

Conversely, the ACC had bad matchups in its other bowl games due to it getting two teams in the CFP. It’s kind of like playing team tennis without your two top seeds because they are playing in another tournament. Everybody else has to play two seeds up.

Simply put, the ACC #3 team filled its #1 contracted bowl slot whereas the B12 actual #1 team filled its #1 contracted bowl slot. And this shifting creates mismatches the whole way down the line (your #5 school is playing another conferences #3, etc.)

The SEC is strong enough to overcome a negative shift. B10 and B12 seem to deal with it decently. The ACC seems to struggle with it (they obviously did this year). The PAC gets a positive shift almost every year (because they generally don't get a team in the playoff) and they still lose.

*plus add in opt-outs / injuries
ballcoach15, olldflame liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 5:11 pm Is Ohio State still over rated?
My 2¢

The B10 did not deserve to have anyone in the playoffs because of how they handled their season, but ohio certainly deserves to be in the playoffs and has a great shot at winning it all.

Indiana was shafted and should have been in the B10 championship game. Else, Indiana should have had a rematch with ohio to get a "play in" game for the B10 championship game.

The B10 had more than enough time to reassess their situation and start at the same time that the SEC did.
ballcoach15 liked this
By VarsityLu
alabama24 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 11:17 am
My 2¢

The B10 did not deserve to have anyone in the playoffs because of how they handled their season, but ohio certainly deserves to be in the playoffs and has a great shot at winning it all.

Indiana was shafted and should have been in the B10 championship game. Else, Indiana should have had a rematch with ohio to get a "play in" game for the B10 championship game.

The B10 had more than enough time to reassess their situation and start at the same time that the SEC did.
Ohio is in the MAC. I think you mean Ohio State. And you do know that Ohio State dispatched Indiana pretty handedly, right? Not sure why anyone would think that IU got shafted. It's not Ohio State's fault that 2 games got cancelled. Just like it wasn't Liberty's fault the Dec 5 game got cancelled.

You and Ballcoach seem to think that Ohio State chose to only have 6 games. You seem to think it's their fault the B1G made the minimum game rule. You seem to think they are to blame that the rule got waived.

Ohio State is clearly one of the top 2 teams in the nation. The CFP selection committee got it right once again. The only team that has any complaint is possibly A&M.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VarsityLu wrote: January 4th, 2021, 1:39 pm
alabama24 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 11:17 am
My 2¢

Ohio is in the MAC. I think you mean Ohio State. And you do know that Ohio State dispatched Indiana pretty handedly, right? Not sure why anyone would think that IU got shafted. It's not Ohio State's fault that 2 games got cancelled. Just like it wasn't Liberty's fault the Dec 5 game got cancelled.

You and Ballcoach seem to think that Ohio State chose to only have 6 games. You seem to think it's their fault the B1G made the minimum game rule. You seem to think they are to blame that the rule got waived.

Ohio State is clearly one of the top 2 teams in the nation. The CFP selection committee got it right once again. The only team that has any complaint is possibly A&M.
Wasn’t IU dealing with a fresh QB injury?
Ohio State is good. No doubt about it. The B1G twisted their rules around to accommodate them to the detriment of other schools. No doubt about it
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
VarsityLu wrote: January 4th, 2021, 1:39 pm Ohio is in the MAC.
Nope. Not the bobcats. I meant the ohio buckeys. :lol:
VarsityLu wrote: January 4th, 2021, 1:39 pm And you do know that Ohio State dispatched Indiana pretty handedly, right?
No they didn't. They won by a touchdown... but that isn't my point.
VarsityLu wrote: January 4th, 2021, 1:39 pm You and Ballcoach seem to think that Ohio State chose to only have 6 games. You seem to think it's their fault the B1G made the minimum game rule. You seem to think they are to blame that the rule got waived.
No, but you can't read.
alabama24 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 11:17 am The B10 did not deserve to have anyone in the playoffs because of how they handled their season, but ohio certainly deserves to be in the playoffs and has a great shot at winning it all.
Ohio State is clearly one of the top 2 teams in the nation. The CFP selection committee got it right once again.

Well, they didn't put them at #2, but I get your point... and I agreed. The team from ohio deserved to be in the playoffs. They clearly have a good chance of beating my BAMA. My position isn't anything like coach's.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 4th, 2021, 1:50 pm Ohio State is good. No doubt about it. The B1G twisted their rules around to accommodate them to the detriment of other schools. No doubt about it
Thanks for stating that more clearly than I did. :lol:
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
VarsityLu wrote: January 4th, 2021, 1:39 pm Not sure why anyone would think that IU got shafted.
PH already articulated this I think, but to be explicit: IU got shafted because THEY "won" their division based upon the agreed upon rules to start the season. Once the B10 realized that 6 million dollars were at stake, they changed the rules.

Again, I am not saying that ohio didn't deserve to get in.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 4th, 2021, 3:54 pm Ohio State did not play enough games to be included in playoffs.
According to whom?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]