Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

The problem is that most everyone almost always "resigns." My question is, Jr.'s issues aside, were their positions really needed in the first place? However, I do not like the idea of possibly/probably treating Edwards and Gill poorly and unprofessionally. Especially after they were promised a job and uprooted their families. It just doesn't look good. Hopefully, there's a lot more to the story that we don't know about, as I want to give both sides the benefit of the doubt.
ballcoach15, flameshaw liked this
LUOrange wrote: November 11th, 2020, 12:24 pm My question is, Jr.'s issues aside, were their positions really needed in the first place?
This has been my question as well. They were obviously very optics-driven hires, probably spearheaded by Jerry Jr. Liberty already had the Office of Equity and Inclusion, so if Jr. “created” a couple of new positions for these guys that were ultimately redundant and unnecessary just to save face for himself, I can see a scenario where the current board has to walk all that back and it looks worse than it is.
LUOrange liked this
stokesjokes wrote: November 11th, 2020, 1:10 pm
LUOrange wrote: November 11th, 2020, 12:24 pm My question is, Jr.'s issues aside, were their positions really needed in the first place?
This has been my question as well. They were obviously very optics-driven hires, probably spearheaded by Jerry Jr. Liberty already had the Office of Equity and Inclusion, so if Jr. “created” a couple of new positions for these guys that were ultimately redundant and unnecessary just to save face for himself, I can see a scenario where the current board has to walk all that back and it looks worse than it is.
Plus both men are personal friends of Jr, and it would be naive to think that was not a factor in the hires.
LUOrange liked this
Whether Coach Gill's hiring was "optics-drive" or not, it was evident based on some of the open wounds displayed on social channels that the position was needed and likely remains so. Regardless of his relationship with JLFJR, I have yet to meet a person who would utter a disparaging word about Coach Gill. He had the respect of nearly everyone in the LU community for his integrity and graceful disposition.
thepostman, LU 57, stokesjokes and 6 others liked this
stokesjokes wrote: November 11th, 2020, 1:10 pm
The optics and Jr. part are 100% correct, unquestionably. The Edwards hire was in the works for months before he came to LU. I do think they were redundant hires.
Since I don't believe in hiring or firing anyone, due to their race, the fact that they are minorities/optics, is not of major concern to me. It would be nice to know why TG left.
TG is a great person and his loss is a big one for the university. I didn't know KE, but many people that I know and respect did. I did not like his purported, original, landing spot at LU. Ultimately he landed in another spot. But the fact that Jr. was willing to screw over a good long-term employee to give KE a job, solidified my thoughts about Jr's true nature. Especially since KE's major job was to babysit Jr.
Hope they both end up in better spots for them.
stokesjokes, LUOrange liked this
stokesjokes wrote: November 11th, 2020, 9:22 pm So, basically, Jerry tried to pull the ultimate “I’m not racist, I have black friends” card, was ousted, and now these two guys’ lives have been seriously disrupted because of it.
Not exactly, but close. KE has been a long time friend of Jr's and was recruited back to LU to try and help Jr. with his "problems". Kind of an accountability person. From what I know, it had nothing to do with him being a minority. KE has worked in this capacity before. I do know that Jr. was after him to come back to LU, long before the black-face deal.
I am not exactly sure why TG was hired back. I suspect it was a combination of his friendship with Jr., he was a minority and additional optics.
I hope that TG left of his own accord. KE didn't have a choice. I feel bad for both of them and wish them the best.
Given the titles they were given, he was at least trying to take advantage of the fact that they are black. It does seem like KE’s “diversity” title was just stapled to the end of an already agreed-upon position.

From the ASOR article:
Gill will serve as Executive Vice President of Diversity, Development & Inclusion while Edwards will be Executive Vice President of Management Efficiencies & Diversity.
ballcoach15 wrote: November 12th, 2020, 8:28 am Why does LU have so many "Vice Presidents" ? It seems as if every other position is a "Vice President".

Disclaimer: I know very little about command structure of a college/university.
Not sure of the reason for all the VP's. I am confident it has something to do with all of the schools, within the university model. However what we do know, is that several of the VP's are there because of their relationship to the former President, their influence they may bring to the table and favors owed for other things.
Hopefully after the recent debacle, the new administration will take a look at the entire organizational model and assure we are paying people for more than their influence or name.
LUOrange, ballcoach15 liked this
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]