Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 3:17 pm
Purple Haize wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:31 pm
Ill flame wrote: May 16th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Don't overlook what winning 8+ games every year could do to grow a fanbase. If we averaged 9 wins a year until 2030 what would this program look like? At a minimum teams won't see us as just another FCS school and we would probably be averaging 30,000+ fans a game. BYU became the school they are today dominating the WAC so it can be done with weak schedules albeit over many years.
BYU also has a national championship. BYU also isn’t seem as a vagabond football program. They could have accepted invites to some conferences in the past but declined and they’ve also been the victim of Fat a few times
ND is a whole other category unto itself and LU loses any credibility in trying to say they are like ND.
Winning games against P5’s won’t make it easier to get games against P5 schools it will make it more difficult. Just saying that LU is now on Par with the P5’s of the World doesn’t make it true either.
BYU won the only one by non power conference in the AP era with a rude schedule that is still controversial - so that path or model is out for LU but the great thing for BYU is overall perception was etched and continues to this day. I don’t care how many good teams they had prior - it was the NC that bought them big boy prestige. They couldn’t get over the hump again and have gone Indie and figured out 4 P5 games weren’t doing them any favors either and have just started scheduling like a big boy. ( and yes their story is a bit more complicated but that sums up the big picture )

Who claims we are ND ? That is/was the goal laid out by Sr.

Winning P5 games as a G5 absolutely makes it more difficult to schedule them. UCF is a better team/program right now than BYU but P5 teams would rather schedule BYU home and home because they are perceived as P5 which is the entire premise of my argument of going all in, playing 5 home games and buying home games with Vandy,Kansas,Indiana types - it is the ONLY way To break out of the G5 level for LU. getting really good as a G5 makes it actually tougher.
Dude your arguments jump all over the place and have so many hypotheticals and unrealistic assumptions in them I just gave up trying to follow them. You have fun in your own little world trying to convince everyone LU is thisclose to upper P5 legitimacy or whatever. If I start doing drugs im probably going to look at your posts again to see if they are any more cogent. Sorta like I do with Neil Young and Pink Floyd prior to anesthesia
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: May 16th, 2020, 5:18 pm
tyndal23 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 3:17 pm
Purple Haize wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:31 pm

BYU also has a national championship. BYU also isn’t seem as a vagabond football program. They could have accepted invites to some conferences in the past but declined and they’ve also been the victim of Fat a few times
ND is a whole other category unto itself and LU loses any credibility in trying to say they are like ND.
Winning games against P5’s won’t make it easier to get games against P5 schools it will make it more difficult. Just saying that LU is now on Par with the P5’s of the World doesn’t make it true either.
BYU won the only one by non power conference in the AP era with a rude schedule that is still controversial - so that path or model is out for LU but the great thing for BYU is overall perception was etched and continues to this day. I don’t care how many good teams they had prior - it was the NC that bought them big boy prestige. They couldn’t get over the hump again and have gone Indie and figured out 4 P5 games weren’t doing them any favors either and have just started scheduling like a big boy. ( and yes their story is a bit more complicated but that sums up the big picture )

Who claims we are ND ? That is/was the goal laid out by Sr.

Winning P5 games as a G5 absolutely makes it more difficult to schedule them. UCF is a better team/program right now than BYU but P5 teams would rather schedule BYU home and home because they are perceived as P5 which is the entire premise of my argument of going all in, playing 5 home games and buying home games with Vandy,Kansas,Indiana types - it is the ONLY way To break out of the G5 level for LU. getting really good as a G5 makes it actually tougher.
Dude your arguments jump all over the place and have so many hypotheticals and unrealistic assumptions in them I just gave up trying to follow them. You have fun in your own little world trying to convince everyone LU is thisclose to upper P5 legitimacy or whatever. If I start doing drugs im probably going to look at your posts again to see if they are any more cogent. Sorta like I do with Neil Young and Pink Floyd prior to anesthesia
Ha! We aren’t ever going to be close following any form of G5 model - all u need to remember. If Creating a P5 budget, scheduling 6 P5 games plus BYU and being road warriors for half a decade hurts your head, I don’t know what to tell you.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 16th, 2020, 7:28 pm We are apparently struggling to schedule 2 p5's a season. How are supposed to get 6?
UConn scheduled 5 on their 1st attempt. We wouldn’t having any trouble scheduling them - trying to pigeon hole one after we have used up most P5 available weekends with crappy G5 games like the 2023 season is a different story. Getting 2 in Lynchburg will be the hard part and where we will have to spend $ to make it happen.
sstaedtler liked this
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 9:23 pm
Ill flame wrote: May 16th, 2020, 7:28 pm We are apparently struggling to schedule 2 p5's a season. How are supposed to get 6?
UConn scheduled 5 on their 1st attempt. We wouldn’t having any trouble scheduling them - trying to pigeon hole one after we have used up most P5 available weekends with crappy G5 games like the 2023 season is a different story. Getting 2 in Lynchburg will be the hard part and where we will have to spend $ to make it happen.
Big ten, ACC and sec has given them p5 status for scheduling. Not because they are anywhere near that level but because they were in a power conference less than a decade ago. They can also leverage their championship basketball Brand. When UMass or new Mexico st starts scheduling 6 p5 teams then you might have an argument but we aren't UConn.
Purple Haize, LUOrange, flamehunter and 1 others liked this
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 16th, 2020, 10:16 pm
tyndal23 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 9:23 pm
Big ten, ACC and sec has given them p5 status for scheduling. Not because they are anywhere near that level but because they were in a power conference less than a decade ago. They can also leverage their championship basketball Brand. When UMass or new Mexico st starts scheduling 6 p5 teams then you might have an argument but we aren't UConn.
Show me the link - I haven’t heard that news - if even 1 P5 conference counts them as a P5 equivalent non con game then we are a LOT closer than I thought. Scheduling a P5 road game is easy even for an FCS team - a completely different deal to be counted as a P5 equivalent game to meet conference requirements.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 17th, 2020, 6:23 pm [https://www.cougarboard.com/board/messa ... d=15055308]

Actually I was wrong. UConn among other schools only got a waiver because some big ten teams that already scheduled them asked for it. The other conferences are more strict than the big ten.
Yes, only Indiana got the one time waiver for Cinci and UConn - not the entire conference.
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: May 17th, 2020, 6:41 pm
Ill flame wrote: May 17th, 2020, 6:23 pm [https://www.cougarboard.com/board/messa ... d=15055308]

Actually I was wrong. UConn among other schools only got a waiver because some big ten teams that already scheduled them asked for it. The other conferences are more strict than the big ten.
Yes, only Indiana got the one time waiver for Cinci and UConn - not the entire conference.
That part on the board wasn't entirely true because Illinois also had UConn scheduled as their only "p5 school". Ohio st, Purdue, Michigan and Nebraska already had Cincy on the schedule when these rules were made also. I used that link because it summarized the different conference requirements well. No articles I found did that.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 17th, 2020, 6:53 pm
tyndal23 wrote: May 17th, 2020, 6:41 pm

That part on the board wasn't entirely true because Illinois also had UConn scheduled as their only "p5 school". Ohio st, Purdue, Michigan and Nebraska already had Cincy on the schedule when these rules were made also. I used that link because it summarized the different conference requirements well. No articles I found did that.
Cool. Do you remember what year the Big 10 Instituted the required 1 P5 non con?
By sstaedtler
I am hoping in future years we can get a late season BYU game or two. Makes the schedule looks so much better. It's not that I hate playing New Mexico State, UMass, and UConn, but i really hate playing them back to back in the latter half of the year. For instance, in 2023 we finish with UConn, UMass, and then New Mexico State. That isn't much excitement in the end of the year. Replace UMass with BYU or Army in any year and it seems much better. In 2026 you have UMass and New Mexico State, but not back to back. You finish with Army, and then in between those games you can hopefully have at least another decent G5 opponent.
By sstaedtler
Sly Fox wrote: May 13th, 2020, 4:48 pm One FCS game counts for bowl eligibility every year. Smart move to keep them on the schedule.

Wish there were matchups closer to Texas. But that's just me bellyaching.
I'd love a matchup against Temple, Maryland, Penn State, or Rutgers again. But that's me bellyaching for schools near to me also..
By LUOrange
[/quote]

I'd love a matchup against Temple, Maryland, Penn State, or Rutgers again. But that's me bellyaching for schools near to me also..
[/quote]

Tennessee, Kentucky, ECU, Charlotte, BC, and Vandy are all on my wish list as well.
sstaedtler liked this
By Logic
tyndal23 wrote: May 14th, 2020, 9:28 pm UCF board

https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threads/l ... 024.83458/

Reading their board makes me realize just how far we still need to go..and not so much in terms of winning, facilities, budgets, etc....our challenge is marketing and branding.

Reality (all sports):

1. In regards to budgets and facilities we are a P5 school, and in many cases better, and in a lot of cases, much better
2. COVID actually helps us further - we’ll come out of this stronger - catching up and surpassing many P5’s
3. People still think we’re a small Bible college or FCS program

Challenge:

1. How to tell the world who we are and what we have
2. Without sounding arrogant?

“Social climbers strive to be aristocrats but their efforts prove them no such thing. Aristocrats do not strive; they have already arrived. Swing is a state of arrival”

- Craig Lambert, Mind Over Water: Lessons on Life from the Art of Rowing

As a CIP - East Carolina just cut four programs due to budget concerns - unsustainable and so forth, and they compiled this report BEFORE Covid hit. We are far and away in a better spot overall than ECU, yet no one is the wiser.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Right now for a lot of schools LU is a win on their schedules.
LU certainly does have nice facilities. It just has no fan base to speak of at this point. If LU had a longer history than those numbers wouldn’t matter as much.
The FCS perception is because LU has only been Bowl eligible exactly 1 year. You can’t snap your fingers and change that over night. It COULD have happened with wins over Auburn and UVA but it didn’t. So until LU does something on the field to put itself on the map (probably have to do it twice) perceptions won’t change. Losing to ACC and SEC teams won’t change the perception but beating them will
LUOrange, rtb72 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
No it won’t. If you always get beat by someone, your perception is an easy win over a nothing program.

Losing to P5 teams does nothing except enhance the checkbook.

Beating P5 teams is the only way our perception changes.
By Logic
Jonathan Carone wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 11:29 am No it won’t. If you always get beat by someone, your perception is an easy win over a nothing program.

Losing to P5 teams does nothing except enhance the checkbook.

Beating P5 teams is the only way our perception changes.

Agree in regards to football specifically - but I was more so talking all sports, the entire athletic department, the entire university as a whole. Not to pick on ECU...but to back to them:

1. Because they play football in the AAC they’re seen as a “better” school

BUT...

1. We have a better overall athletics department
2. Better facilities
3. Better budgets
4. We would rather be here than there

But no one knows this. Marketing!
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech