Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You will have to forgive me for smiling looking at the UCF board. They view us the way we view FCS games. I am cool with that mindset. I love that this gives us another opportunity to show ourselves to Florida talent. My perfevt schedule woul dhave games in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas every year. That's where the talent is stacked high from a recruiting perspective.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I can certinaly understand their frustrating. Their AD has taken a hard stance on not doing 2 for1's with P5 schools and it is hurting their schedule. I get where he is coming from but it is really hurting their future schedules and they view us as just view a game with us as validation that his tactic isn't a good one.

Oh well. I'm looking forward to it and hope to be back in Florida by then.
By sstaedtler
One interesting note. UConn has a TV contract with CBS. Because of this, our 2020 game at UConn might be on TV. The 2022 game at UConn has a good chance of being on television. This is one thing I like about playing Army..those games are often on CBS.

Here is a Syracuse preview. Some of their comments in the article but especially in the comments are why I hate Syracuse and want to beat them in the worst way.
https://www.nunesmagician.com/2020/5/13 ... XSJKKWgR1o
By Ill flame
Sly Fox wrote: May 15th, 2020, 11:01 am You will have to forgive me for smiling looking at the UCF board. They view us the way we view FCS games. I am cool with that mindset. I love that this gives us another opportunity to show ourselves to Florida talent. My perfevt schedule woul dhave games in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas every year. That's where the talent is stacked high from a recruiting perspective.
I can understand this mindset from them. We are still fresh from FCS and still have a good amount of FCS talent on our roster. Unfortunately for them by 2023 all of those players will be gone and they will be playing against Hugh freeze recruited players as upperclassmen. They may not be getting the FCS team they think they are.

I'm really suprised UCF can't get more home and home games with northern p5 teams considering they are in Orlando and that would be a fun road games for players. USF has had some success scheduling that way with big ten teams but they also aren't as competitive.
By Jonathan Carone
sstaedtler wrote: May 15th, 2020, 11:43 am One interesting note. UConn has a TV contract with CBS. Because of this, our 2020 game at UConn might be on TV. The 2022 game at UConn has a good chance of being on television. This is one thing I like about playing Army..those games are often on CBS.

Here is a Syracuse preview. Some of their comments in the article but especially in the comments are why I hate Syracuse and want to beat them in the worst way.
https://www.nunesmagician.com/2020/5/13 ... XSJKKWgR1o
CBS Sports Network, not traditional CBS, right?
By sstaedtler
I believe that is correct, CBS Sports Network, not traditional CBS. In 2020 4 of 7 UConn home games will be on, whereas in 2022 it will be all UConn home games.
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 15th, 2020, 12:21 pm
Sly Fox wrote: May 15th, 2020, 11:01 am You will have to forgive me for smiling looking at the UCF board. They view us the way we view FCS games. I am cool with that mindset. I love that this gives us another opportunity to show ourselves to Florida talent. My perfevt schedule woul dhave games in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas every year. That's where the talent is stacked high from a recruiting perspective.
I can understand this mindset from them. We are still fresh from FCS and still have a good amount of FCS talent on our roster. Unfortunately for them by 2023 all of those players will be gone and they will be playing against Hugh freeze recruited players as upperclassmen. They may not be getting the FCS team they think they are.

I'm really suprised UCF can't get more home and home games with northern p5 teams considering they are in Orlando and that would be a fun road games for players. USF has had some success scheduling that way with big ten teams but they also aren't as competitive.
They are classified as a G5 - that is 100 percent why - scheduling and losing to a much worse P5 program than UCF Is acceptable risk wise. There is no upside for a P5 to schedule a top G5 school. Those thinking that if LU strings together years of 10 win seasons will make it easier to schedule P5 games have it all backwards.
By sstaedtler
I don't like that UConn gets all their home games on CBS Sports Network and Liberty only gets their games online. I'm hoping in the future Liberty can find more ways to be on national television. Army and UConn, as far as opponents, or even BYU, may given us that chance.
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote: May 15th, 2020, 3:44 pm For me, it is easier to get espn+ on my TV then CBS sports net but I also cut the cable cord many years ago so there is that. I can certainly understand why people would prefer not to go through ESPN+ but I love it and watch other stuff on it too.
I think ESPN+ is more accessible to most, but CBS Sports Network has 10x the subscribers.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: May 15th, 2020, 3:44 pm For me, it is easier to get espn+ on my TV then CBS sports net but I also cut the cable cord many years ago so there is that. I can certainly understand why people would prefer not to go through ESPN+ but I love it and watch other stuff on it too.
I thought you had YouTube tv?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: May 15th, 2020, 4:54 pm I did until the 1 month free trial I got ran out. :D
To me it has the best set up if you are a sports junkie
By LUOrange
I agree with both Purple and Carone, it sounds like scheduling is getting harder and we're just not respected enough yet. But I'll also add, that this is the type of schedule Freeze said that he thought was ideal as well. The potential downside to this model that McCaw and Freeze are subscribing to is that many of our recruits and prospects have all said that they liked the fact that we played multiple/many P5's as well. We'll see, winning cures a lot, but not if we're always playing weak perceived schedules.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: May 15th, 2020, 9:53 pm I agree with both Purple and Carone, it sounds like scheduling is getting harder and we're just not respected enough yet. But I'll also add, that this is the type of schedule Freeze said that he thought was ideal as well. The potential downside to this model that McCaw and Freeze are subscribing to is that many of our recruits and prospects have all said that they liked the fact that we played multiple/many P5's as well. We'll see, winning cures a lot, but not if we're always playing weak perceived schedules.
I agree 100% LUOrange - if the goal is to be an App St and “ just win” and it will all work out - then this is perfect schedule and exactly what HF stated multiple times on being a top tier G5 type program. It will effect a few recruits who gave us the edge with 4 P5 games - now they will view us as same schedule but no conference champ or bigger bowl when comparing to an actual G5 but consistent 9-10 win seasons is probably a push recruiting wise. Strangely enough I haven’t heard JR or Ian revise our goal of being what ND is to Catholics and BYU is to Mormons - that is a massive goal difference and a completely different model to build towards. Regardless it appears that is the way we are going.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I've never heard a coach say, "I hope we have the most difficult schedule in the country every year". While perceived weak schedules will be argued by talking heads on TV, radio or discussed in forums, coaches want the W's. When Bobby Bowden was the head coach in his first season at West Virginia (independent, no conference), the Mountaineers started their season by beating William & Mary, Richmond and VMI by more than 5 touchdowns. It's doubtful that he thought those game should someday have an asterisk beside them when his total win count was tallied.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Best coach talk on schedule I have heard was Mendenhall at UVA saying they want to play the "worst Power 5 team" every year.
That's about his caliber.
By tyndal23
SumItUp wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:35 am I've never heard a coach say, "I hope we have the most difficult schedule in the country every year". While perceived weak schedules will be argued by talking heads on TV, radio or discussed in forums, coaches want the W's. When Bobby Bowden was the head coach in his first season at West Virginia (independent, no conference), the Mountaineers started their season by beating William & Mary, Richmond and VMI by more than 5 touchdowns. It's doubtful that he thought those game should someday have an asterisk beside them when his total win count was tallied.
For sure. That is why I have argued to the “ just win” crowd that 4 P5 games is at least 2 too many. In my view - we won’t ever be invited to a conference based on our beliefs ( we very well could but that is a hope and out of our control ). We are independent - therefore we can be happy as a G5 type ( apparently the term equivalent is banned from some on this board ) and that will be the extent of it. Or we can take the hard road - which is doable but requires a firm commitment with a lot more up front $ invested. Anything we do as a G5 type will have zero impact if and when we decide to be a P5 type. So if the eventual goal is to actually be ND BYU - we are simply wasting time at the G5 type level. The process will be just as difficult 10 -30 years from now as it would be if we had taken that philosophy day1 or even 2026 ( 1st available opportunity schedule wise ).
By Ill flame
tyndal23 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:53 am
For sure. That is why I have argued to the “ just win” crowd that 4 P5 games is at least 2 too many. In my view - we won’t ever be invited to a conference based on our beliefs ( we very well could but that is a hope and out of our control ). We are independent - therefore we can be happy as a G5 type ( apparently the term equivalent is banned from some on this board ) and that will be the extent of it. Or we can take the hard road - which is doable but requires a firm commitment with a lot more up front $ invested. Anything we do as a G5 type will have zero impact if and when we decide to be a P5 type. So if the eventual goal is to actually be ND BYU - we are simply wasting time at the G5 type level. The process will be just as difficult 10 -30 years from now as it would be if we had taken that philosophy day1 or even 2026 ( 1st available opportunity schedule wise ).
Don't overlook what winning 8+ games every year could do to grow a fanbase. If we averaged 9 wins a year until 2030 what would this program look like? At a minimum teams won't see us as just another FCS school and we would probably be averaging 30,000+ fans a game. BYU became the school they are today dominating the WAC so it can be done with weak schedules albeit over many years.
LUOrange liked this
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 16th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Don't overlook what winning 8+ games every year could do to grow a fanbase. If we averaged 9 wins a year until 2030 what would this program look like? At a minimum teams won't see us as just another FCS school and we would probably be averaging 30,000+ fans a game. BYU became the school they are today dominating the WAC so it can be done with weak schedules albeit over many years.
I think we would look like a G5 outlier with a fan base scattered all over the country who will only fly in for home P5 games that has a different coaching staff every 3 years and is stuck behind 5-10 other Actual G5 schools playing in the bottom 5 bowls every year and considered a basketball school. But beating our chests for winning records against the bottom 25% of college football.
By Jonathan Carone
tyndal23 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 1:12 pmI think we would look like a G5 outlier with a fan base scattered all over the country who will only fly in for home P5 games that has a different coaching staff every 3 years and is stuck behind 5-10 other Actual G5 schools playing in the bottom 5 bowls every year and considered a basketball school. But beating our chests for winning records against the bottom 25% of college football.
I can’t speak to the coaching portion, but everything else you described here is how Liberty operates in most things. It’s a pretty spot on description of who we are.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BYU also has a national championship. BYU also isn’t seem as a vagabond football program. They could have accepted invites to some conferences in the past but declined and they’ve also been the victim of Fat a few times
ND is a whole other category unto itself and LU loses any credibility in trying to say they are like ND.
Winning games against P5’s won’t make it easier to get games against P5 schools it will make it more difficult. Just saying that LU is now on Par with the P5’s of the World doesn’t make it true either.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:31 pm
BYU also has a national championship. BYU also isn’t seem as a vagabond football program. They could have accepted invites to some conferences in the past but declined and they’ve also been the victim of Fat a few times
ND is a whole other category unto itself and LU loses any credibility in trying to say they are like ND.
Winning games against P5’s won’t make it easier to get games against P5 schools it will make it more difficult. Just saying that LU is now on Par with the P5’s of the World doesn’t make it true either.
BYU won the only one by non power conference in the AP era with a rude schedule that is still controversial - so that path or model is out for LU but the great thing for BYU is overall perception was etched and continues to this day. I don’t care how many good teams they had prior - it was the NC that bought them big boy prestige. They couldn’t get over the hump again and have gone Indie and figured out 4 P5 games weren’t doing them any favors either and have just started scheduling like a big boy. ( and yes their story is a bit more complicated but that sums up the big picture )

Who claims we are ND ? That is/was the goal laid out by Sr.

Winning P5 games as a G5 absolutely makes it more difficult to schedule them. UCF is a better team/program right now than BYU but P5 teams would rather schedule BYU home and home because they are perceived as P5 which is the entire premise of my argument of going all in, playing 5 home games and buying home games with Vandy,Kansas,Indiana types - it is the ONLY way To break out of the G5 level for LU. getting really good as a G5 makes it actually tougher.
By Ill flame
I'm not sure that BYU is necessarily perceived as a p5. I think it has more to do with BYU having a good tv deal with ESPN so those p5 opponents know they will be on national TV if they play @ BYU. Also their fans travel well and some conferences consider them as a p5 for scheduling even though they have a g5 roster. That tv deal helps BYU a lot.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]