Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 6th, 2020, 8:24 am Purple and JK can say all they want, but the bottom line is Marshall went bowling in 2019, and WVU sat at home with their 5-7 record.
When you’re right you’re right. We need to recover from the Holgerson Years. I think this was a 1 year blip though so enjoy it :D
JK37 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 6th, 2020, 11:02 am Rich Rod should have stayed at WV.
Who?
By Ill flame
TH Spangler wrote: May 6th, 2020, 6:50 am Which scenario would give us the best chance at making the 6 team playoff that's being talked about. Seems to me the only path would be through a G5 conference. I can't see that spot ever being awarded to an independent LU or BYU. Like ballcoach pointed out ND is a special outlier.

Until we are filling every seat, averaging 30k per game I dont think we will be seen as a potential P5. Could we get there playing a cusa schedule?
I'm hoping since we have 7 independents now instead of the 4 they had when the playoff contracts were signed that they will change the wording to non p5/Notre Dame instead of top G5 champion.

In theory c-usa gives us a path to a ny6 bowl but not a single c-usa team has finished in the top 25 of the cfp rankings let alone as the top G5. The spot is essentially reserved for the AAC champion and Boise st. Western Michigan was able to pull it off but they had to go 13-0 including 2 p5 wins. Even app st last year finished 12-1 including 2 p5 wins and finished behind the AAC champ and Boise st. They were only 1 spot ahead of a 3 loss AAC team.

My point is that c-usa would still be a near impossible path to a ny6/ potential playoff spot. We would need to go undefeated while beating a couple p5 teams.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
A couple of Independents are not Independents by choice. A better label would be Homeless or Orphans because no one wants them and they have no place to go. That is how these Conferences look at several if not most of the Independents. LU Included.
ballcoach15, sstaedtler liked this
By Ill flame
Purple Haize wrote: May 6th, 2020, 12:23 pm A couple of Independents are not Independents by choice. A better label would be Homeless or Orphans because no one wants them and they have no place to go. That is how these Conferences look at several if not most of the Independents. LU Included.
I understand how other conferences view the independents but the number of them has almost double since the current setup was established. I hope at least BYU and army can try to throw more weight around next time to get more concessions for the "orphans." I don't see why a 10 or 11 win BYU can't play in a ny6 bowl.
By sstaedtler
I'd love to get in a conference but I really want to be in one with Appalachian State and Coastal Carolina, but especially Appalachian State. If Liberty's attendance stays near 18,000, they have no shot of ever being in the AAC or a Power 5 conference. And it seems like there is no attempt being made to have more on campus students, so I don't see attendance going up that much. For fans, rivalries would increase interest and attendance would go up. While this might be not great for football, it would be 100% better for basketball and other sports. I'd reluctantly accept Conference USA but would prefer App. State somehow in the conference.
TH Spangler liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am not sure yet, how the new parking garage will help football parking, but I believe lack of parking has had negative effect on LU attendance over the years.
By cruzan_flame13
sstaedtler wrote: May 6th, 2020, 3:07 pm I'd love to get in a conference but I really want to be in one with Appalachian State and Coastal Carolina, but especially Appalachian State. If Liberty's attendance stays near 18,000, they have no shot of ever being in the AAC or a Power 5 conference. And it seems like there is no attempt being made to have more on campus students, so I don't see attendance going up that much. For fans, rivalries would increase interest and attendance would go up. While this might be not great for football, it would be 100% better for basketball and other sports. I'd reluctantly accept Conference USA but would prefer App. State somehow in the conference.
That's another opportunity that LU is missing out on. It takes time but I could help in all areas in the long run.
By Ill flame
It was my understanding that they were going to try to grow from 15,000 to 25,000 on campus. Are they not doing that anymore? 25,000 would put us on par with a lot of major public universities.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Last I heard it was capped at 15 or 16000 on campus. If we added even another 5000. It would require more dorms and parking lots.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I feel like cusa would be a good move at this time. It WOULD be better if App State was involved. In football they would be a MUCH better rival than ODU. Not so much in basketball. ODU Liberty basketball would be fun. Really don't care about involving Coastal. Our #1 priority for now should be putting 25k in the stands at Bill.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 6th, 2020, 4:01 pm Last I heard it was capped at 15 or 16000 on campus. If we added even another 5000. It would require more dorms and parking lots.
I could be wrong but I thought there were @ 8K on campus and the rest were in off campus housing and/or are commuters but still "residential" students which gets us to 15K.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: May 5th, 2020, 1:02 pm
jbock13 wrote: May 5th, 2020, 12:48 pm Why are we doing this again? Y’all need to get a life if you’re this bored.
In our defense this rumor was brought to us by a Marshall fan and started on their message board.

Frankly, I welcome any conversation at this point.
My bad. I didn't mean to put a new poster on blast. My apologies.
thepostman liked this
By Rubicon
Ill flame wrote: May 6th, 2020, 2:48 pm I hope at least BYU and army can try to throw more weight around next time to get more concessions for the "orphans." I don't see why a 10 or 11 win BYU can't play in a ny6 bowl.
BYU will need to not be as mediocre over multiple seasons (e.g., they haven't beaten arch-rival Utah in 10 years). As a BYU fan, they are maddening. We can, on any given day, beat Wisconsin or Texas or Tennessee on the road, or anyone at home, but we have also lost to the likes of UMASS, N. Illinois, Toledo, etc. (sometimes at home). A 10+ win season out of the blue isn't enough, in my opinion.

Their national championship didn't come out of nowhere. There had been years of near misses and other things that built up to that. We first started getting some notice in the late 70s with Virgil Carter and Gifford Neilson and the innovative passing game. But, it wasn't until Jim McMahon came from behind by 4 touchdowns late in the 4th quarter against SMU (Eric Dickerson and Craig James, right before the death penalty years) that people really noticed. Then followed two really good years, and Steve Young's one-loss season in 1983. When we were undefeated the next year, including beating #3 Pitt, and the stars aligned, it was the previous three years that pushed us over the edge. While Oklahoma and Washington complained about our schedule, neither one of them wanted to play us in the bowl game (we crushed Washington 31-3 the next year).

The whole BCS and then playoff format was specifically designed to make sure that never happens again. A G5 can make one NY6 bowl, but never the championship or even "Final Four," unless it's so obvious a miscarriage of justice that it's unavoidable.

Liberty could do something similar if it strung 3-4 really good seasons together and beat some good teams. They would be noticed, and could be invited to a top bowl --- I could see that.

Specifically Liberty and BYU also labor under intense and unspoken bias against true conservative religious schools. While there are a number of historically religious schools (ND, Baylor, Boston College, TCU, SMU, etc.), most are only in name only, and have cultures that are anti-religious and very "woke." The remaining few who refuse to kiss the ring face real and substantial bias and opposition that bleeds over into athletics and conference affiliation. I'm not complaining about it --- well, maybe complaining, but I would rather hold firm to principle and standards than to cave.

I would take a CUSA offer in a heartbeat, if I were Liberty. You have to start somewhere, and there are real advantages to being in a D1 conference. The WAC wasn't very good, but it was a conference when BYU started to gain notoriety.
flamehunter, Ill flame, Purple Haize and 2 others liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: May 6th, 2020, 11:05 am
ballcoach15 wrote: May 6th, 2020, 11:02 am Rich Rod should have stayed at WV.
Who?
:rofl
Purple Haize liked this
By rtb72
C-USA would be a good place. Is it what we DREAM for....nope. But I think many are under the assumption that there are conferences beating down the door for LU. I love LU.....but we aren't that good yet. We don't have the ability to look at a large pool of conferences and "pick the best of several". What are we really waiting on...ACC....folks, you are dreaming. We can say we are P5 or whatever, we can "think" we deserve some big P5 conferene, SEC, ACC, etc, you name it. Reality is we should get ourselves established in a conference we can compete in, in a conference we can compete in, in a conference we can compete in..............................and do our work there from the ground floor. We need to get a grip on what LU is and what we are capable of right now, versus what we HOPE/THINK we are and are capable of. In time maybe/hopefully....

Oh, and one more thing.....GO Herd! :D
By Ill flame
rtb72 wrote: May 7th, 2020, 9:12 pm C-USA would be a good place. Is it what we DREAM for....nope. But I think many are under the assumption that there are conferences beating down the door for LU. I love LU.....but we aren't that good yet. We don't have the ability to look at a large pool of conferences and "pick the best of several". What are we really waiting on...ACC....folks, you are dreaming. We can say we are P5 or whatever, we can "think" we deserve some big P5 conferene, SEC, ACC, etc, you name it. Reality is we should get ourselves established in a conference we can compete in, in a conference we can compete in, in a conference we can compete in..............................and do our work there from the ground floor. We need to get a grip on what LU is and what we are capable of right now, versus what we HOPE/THINK we are and are capable of. In time maybe/hopefully....

I'm not sure the majority of us are delusional enough to think we shouldn't settle for anything less than an ACC invite. I hope liberty can prove that we don't need conferences beating down our door for us to be successful. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the AAC is seen as probably our best case scenario in the near future but we aren't at that level yet.

C-usa or independent/asun I think we can and will be successful in all sports for the foreseeable future. Hopefully that translates eventually to an invite from a quality conference. As I've said before there's no predicting what cfb will look like 10-15 years from now.
ballcoach15 liked this
By tyndal23
Ill flame wrote: May 7th, 2020, 10:03 pm
rtb72 wrote: May 7th, 2020, 9:12 pm C-USA would be a good place. Is it what we DREAM for....nope. But I think many are under the assumption that there are conferences beating down the door for LU. I love LU.....but we aren't that good yet. We don't have the ability to look at a large pool of conferences and "pick the best of several". What are we really waiting on...ACC....folks, you are dreaming. We can say we are P5 or whatever, we can "think" we deserve some big P5 conferene, SEC, ACC, etc, you name it. Reality is we should get ourselves established in a conference we can compete in, in a conference we can compete in, in a conference we can compete in..............................and do our work there from the ground floor. We need to get a grip on what LU is and what we are capable of right now, versus what we HOPE/THINK we are and are capable of. In time maybe/hopefully....

I'm not sure the majority of us are delusional enough to think we shouldn't settle for anything less than an ACC invite. I hope liberty can prove that we don't need conferences beating down our door for us to be successful. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the AAC is seen as probably our best case scenario in the near future but we aren't at that level yet.

C-usa or independent/asun I think we can and will be successful in all sports for the foreseeable future. Hopefully that translates eventually to an invite from a quality conference. As I've said before there's no predicting what cfb will look like 10-15 years from now.
I can tell you that 98 percent of the G5 teams who are irrelevant now will still be irrelevant in 10-15 years from now. Boise St SDSU Memphis UCF Cincinnati Houston a couple of those might catch a break. UCF is only one I would wager on. None of those schools have the combined issue of being a conservative Christian school with mediocre academic prowess that requires majority of Presidents sign off on when the faculty and staff start protesting LU. Much of my premise of maxing out Indy starting in 2026 is rooted in the fact that LU won’t get invited to any conference worth being invited to - embrace the Indy role and max it out - lap the G5 conferences in all aspects rather than “ hoping” something changes culturally and someone lets us in their little irrelevant club that hopefully will lead to an even bigger break decades from now -that to me is much more delusional.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 7th, 2020, 10:03 pm

The ASUN has already made overtures that LU is not welcome
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: May 7th, 2020, 9:12 pm Oh, and one more thing.....GO Herd! :D
This guy has a good head on his shoulders, and I like how he thinks! Study
rtb72 liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 8th, 2020, 8:18 am
I'm confused... I'm all for Herd Immunity too, but why celebrate it on a spots forum? ;)
rtb72 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: May 8th, 2020, 8:23 am
Cider Jim wrote: May 8th, 2020, 8:18 am
I'm confused... I'm all for Herd Immunity too, but why celebrate it on a spots forum? ;)
Are spots one of the new symptoms for COVID-19? :mrgreen:
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: