Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By chris leedlelee
tyndal23 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 9:43 am Is App state top 50 in football?
They beat North Carolina AND South Carolina last year. Only one loss to Georgia Southern (Whom we beat :wink: ) I'd say they are definitely on the trajectory of being a perennial top 50 program.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
And let's not forget we beat them last time we played them
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: May 16th, 2020, 6:32 am
ballcoach15 wrote: May 15th, 2020, 9:37 pm JMU is a FCS team. They would not make our best rival.

When we go to a bigger conference, I think it will be AAC or.............Big 12.
Uhhhhhhhhh. JMU would not be an FCS team if they joined C-USA. :roll:
I despise JMU, but in my opinion they are afraid to go FBS. They are basically a football school, (softball was good. but it's declining since the coaching change).
Only reason they're decent in football is they recruit many FBS transfers.
$$$$$$$$ will keep them in FCS. I hope they stay in FCS.
By tyndal23
chris leedlelee wrote: May 16th, 2020, 9:53 am
They beat North Carolina AND South Carolina last year. Only one loss to Georgia Southern (Whom we beat :wink: ) I'd say they are definitely on the trajectory of being a perennial top 50 program.
So any player who has offers from UNC,SC and App St should definitely take the App St offer based on last year ( careful ball coach this might be a trick question that involves an SEC team )
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
App State has a strong history and continues to make progress on the field and last year was one of the top 50 ranked programs based on the results on the field. Despite their previous success and current positive trajectory, there is a long journey ahead to join the 'elites' of college football.

To be a top 40 program, I'm not sure it's possible outside of being a member of a P5 conference except through independence. The second tier label (currently named G5) is a stigma that is hard to overcome. The top G5 schools (Houston, Boise State, UCF, Memphis, San Diego State, etc...) have poured tens of millions of dollars into their programs in an attempt to elevate their programs to elite status. With a good 10-year run, their ceiling is probably Top 45. Independence allows a university in Liberty's position to have stronger input in the creation of the program's narrative.
LUOrange liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 10:12 am
I despise JMU
Why all the HATE, Ballcoach? :frustrated :furious :frustrated

Do you know what they say JMU stands for in Charlottesville? It's "Just Missed UVa."
LUOrange liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I just have no love for most schools in state, except LU, VT, VMI and Hampton.
By Jonathan Carone
SumItUp wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:15 am App State has a strong history and continues to make progress on the field and last year was one of the top 50 ranked programs based on the results on the field. Despite their previous success and current positive trajectory, there is a long journey ahead to join the 'elites' of college football.

To be a top 40 program, I'm not sure it's possible outside of being a member of a P5 conference except through independence. The second tier label (currently named G5) is a stigma that is hard to overcome. The top G5 schools (Houston, Boise State, UCF, Memphis, San Diego State, etc...) have poured tens of millions of dollars into their programs in an attempt to elevate their programs to elite status. With a good 10-year run, their ceiling is probably Top 45. Independence allows a university in Liberty's position to have stronger input in the creation of the program's narrative.
Can you be a Top 50 athletics program with our other sports in an ASun level league?

If we’re looking at the entire athletics landscape and not just football, what leagues would even be available to raise the profile of the entire department? A10? MVC? Big East? Do we see ourselves being better options for those leagues with football independence or does a rising tide lift all ships riding conference realignments?

Personally, I think the conference route is the best way to go to lift the entire program, but no one wants us. Because of that, we’re forced to go to independent route so we might as well convince ourselves it’s the best option.
By LUOrange
I believe that they were Top 25 last season. Maybe even in 2018 as well.
By tyndal23
LUOrange wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:04 pm
Top 50 Program - which encompasses a lot more than W-L in a season

As for 2018 Season not ranked - 2019 19th final ranking. Ahead of USC,Texas,Okie St.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2019+nc ... ch;rn;fp;1;;

I have stated before - being a 1 loss even 2 loss G5 team will get a Top 25 ranking year in and year out - average of 4 get ranked. But does anyone really confuse the difference between a 3-4 loss SEC Program and and a 1 loss G5 ? And for those who want to use UCF as a model - we are very similar to App St as a G5 in terms of market on campus students, accessibility, ceiling - UCF is more P5 than 75% of P5 teams - they just haven’t been let in the club.
By tyndal23
tyndal23 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:33 pm
LUOrange wrote: May 16th, 2020, 2:04 pm
Top 50 Program - which encompasses a lot more than W-L in a season

As for 2018 Season not ranked - 2019 19th final ranking. Ahead of USC,Texas,Okie St.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2019+nc ... ch;rn;fp;1;;

I have stated before - being a 1 loss even 2 loss G5 team will get a Top 25 ranking year in and year out - average of 4 get ranked. But does anyone really confuse the difference between a 3-4 loss SEC Program and and a 1 loss G5 ? And for those who want to use UCF as a model - we are very similar to App St as a G5 in terms of market on campus students, accessibility, ceiling - UCF is more P5 than 75% of P5 teams - they just haven’t been let in the club.

And by the way I predict 2 or more top 25 finishes by LU in the next decade. And I would 100% trade a top 25 G5 feel good ranking for a legit 9 win season with 4 P5 wins.
By Ill flame
Jonathan Carone wrote: May 16th, 2020, 1:13 pm
SumItUp wrote: May 16th, 2020, 11:15 am App State has a strong history and continues to make progress on the field and last year was one of the top 50 ranked programs based on the results on the field. Despite their previous success and current positive trajectory, there is a long journey ahead to join the 'elites' of college football.

Can you be a Top 50 athletics program with our other sports in an ASun level league?

If we’re looking at the entire athletics landscape and not just football, what leagues would even be available to raise the profile of the entire department? A10? MVC? Big East? Do we see ourselves being better options for those leagues with football independence or does a rising tide lift all ships riding conference realignments?

Personally, I think the conference route is the best way to go to lift the entire program, but no one wants us. Because of that, we’re forced to go to independent route so we might as well convince ourselves it’s the best option.
Considering the basketball team was 58 in the net ranking during the 2018-2019 season and 67 last year with one of the best records in college basketball probably not. We would have to start playing a much better ooc schedule and that becomes much harder the better we get. Although I would argue we are close in several sports so it's not completely unattainable in the asun
By sstaedtler
Here are my new fantasy conferences if Sun Belt and Conference USA reorganize:

Conference USA North: Appalachian State, Liberty, Marshall, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, Old Dominion, James Madison

Conference USA South: Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Troy, UAB, South Alabama

Sun Belt North: Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss, W. Kentucky, M. Tennessee, North Texas, Arkansas State

Sun Belt South: Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Rice, Texas State, UTEP, UTSA,
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
More likely in those conference groupings would be to have North Texas & Arkansas State join the rest of the Texan schools swapping with the two Louisiana schools in the Sun Belt. But I see you working.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Don't forget that non-football schools UT-Arlington and UA-Little Rock are both Sun Belt members.
By Logic
Gonna go out on a limb here and argue that CUSA football would be a step backwards for us.

1. We can and do already schedule CUSA schools for the “regional rivalries”
2. Independence allows us to schedule more P5’s / BYU...not possible with CUSA
3. More bowl opportunities come online this fall
4. Our partnership with ESPN and its potential > CUSA tv deal
5. No way in heck we pay them 24 million now!
6. We are a national brand and I like us playing all over the country
7. Have we already “outgrown” CUSA football? Would the conference affiliation hurt recruiting?

Basketball and Olympic Sports to the A10 with football independence seems like the best of both worlds....or an all sports invite to the AAC. We’ve left CUSA far, far behind.
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
Logic wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 3:01 pm Gonna go out on a limb here and argue that CUSA football would be a step backwards for us.

7. Have we already “outgrown” CUSA football? Would the conference affiliation hurt recruiting?

Basketball and Olympic Sports to the A10 with football independence seems like the best of both worlds....or an all sports invite to the AAC. We’ve left CUSA far, far behind.
Bingo.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Olympic sports to A 10 would be equal to returning to Big South Conference, maybe worst. Going all sports to AAC would probably be best destination for us.
LU should not acknowledge the A10 even exists.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Logic wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 3:01 pm Gonna go out on a limb here and argue that CUSA football would be a step backwards for us.

1 and 2. LU’s future schedules show that it’s going to become more and more of a challenge to schedule opponents
3 CUSA has a lot more Bowl opportunities and auto tie ins than the current vagabond Indy state LU finds itself in
4. CUSA will provide a lot more opportunity for exposure than LU is currently getting. Whatever LU’s current ESPN tie in is amounts to very little because there is no reason to watch an LU game unless you are an LU fan or opposing team fan
5. Absolutely agree
6. That’s debatable.
7 LU hasn’t outgrown CUSA. It will only help with recruiting because you are selling a chance at a Conference Championship and some quality Bowl games.
Ill flame, rtb72 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 3:10 pm Olympic sports to A 10 would be equal to returning to Big South Conference, maybe worst. Going all sports to AAC would probably be best destination for us.
LU should not acknowledge the A10 even exists.
Very good for the indoor sports. Bad for the diamond sports. Your blanket statement is hyperbolic and naive. Neither of which is surprising.
By Ill flame

To your first two points, I consider Marshall, ODU, Charlotte, app st, east Carolina and coastal Carolina as our potential regional rivals. We do have most of those schools on future schedules but it's always one of two a season and odu is the only consistent one. At least in c-usa we would be guaranteed 3 every year. I would assume we would also try to rotate coastal Carolina, app st and maybe east Carolina in there every year as a nonconference opponent. We could still schedule 2 p5's or BYU and have room on the schedule for a FCS school.
Purple Haize liked this
New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]