Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By MUsince96
https://www.herdfans.com/12thman/herd-f ... league/25/

Scroll down to post 48. Interesting take from a trusted poster on our board. Have you all heard anything about this?

IF you all are added I assume there's an add for the West coming as well. And if that happens then what? Each division operates as its own league to minimize travel?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Welcome to the board! Thanks for posting. I've heard rumors in the past but I haven't heard anything recently. I'd be surprised if that happens now but you never know.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let me preface by saying that I have heard nothing from Lynchburg so my take is purely speculative. But frankly this move would surprise me a bit. It doesn't bring a ton of value from a football perspective over our current arrangement. If we did what is inferred on HerdFans then it would primarily be motivated based on hoops. The A-Sun gives us a relatively easy path to the Dance but otherwise is a significant step down from CUSA. Here is how the divisions would theoretically align:

East
  • Charlotte
    FAU
    FIU
    Liberty
    Marshall
    MTSU
    ODU
    WKU
West
  • LA Tech
    NM State
    North Texas
    Rice
    Southern Miss
    UAB
    UTEP
    UTSA
It is possible that the WKU/MTSU or FIU/FAU pairing could be substituted with the UAB/USM group if the league so decided. But no one really wants the Florida twins in their division as they try to lower travel costs. We wouldn't mind considering South Florida is fertile territory for our school as a whole.

It should also be noted with the core groups in each division, there could be the possibility of the league splitting by divisions to create two leagues if the NCAA would grant a waiver allowing for auto bids & conference payout distributions. But that is pretty far out there at this stage. The Marshall insider implied we would be paying our way into the league. That certainly seems doubtful at this stage. We were ready to pony up a few years ago when an invitation was our only access to FBS. But we no longer need it and our current situation is rather comfy. The main thing of value we could bring is our broadcast capabilities.

I would certainly be down considering all of Texas/Louisiana contingent in the west as well as the hoops tourney being in Dallas.
Purple Haize liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Read post #26, as well. :shock:
By MUsince96
Sly Fox wrote: May 4th, 2020, 6:09 pm Let me preface by saying that I have heard nothing from Lynchburg so my take is purely speculative. But frankly this move would surprise me a bit. It doesn't bring a ton of value from a football perspective over our current arrangement. If we did what is inferred on HerdFans then it would primarily be motivated based on hoops. The A-Sun gives us a relatively easy path to the Dance but otherwise is a significant step down from CUSA. Here is how the divisions would theoretically align:

East
  • Charlotte
    FAU
    FIU
    Liberty
    Marshall
    MTSU
    ODU
    WKU
West
  • LA Tech
    NM State
    North Texas
    Rice
    Southern Miss
    UAB
    UTEP
    UTSA
It is possible that the WKU/MTSU or FIU/FAU pairing could be substituted with the UAB/USM group if the league so decided. But no one really wants the Florida twins in their division as they try to lower travel costs. We wouldn't mind considering South Florida is fertile territory for our school as a whole.

It should also be noted with the core groups in each division, there could be the possibility of the league splitting by divisions to create two leagues if the NCAA would grant a waiver allowing for auto bids & conference payout distributions. But that is pretty far out there at this stage. The Marshall insider implied we would be paying our way into the league. That certainly seems doubtful at this stage. We were ready to pony up a few years ago when an invitation was our only access to FBS. But we no longer need it and our current situation is rather comfy. The main thing of value we could bring is our broadcast capabilities.

I would certainly be down considering all of Texas/Louisiana contingent in the west as well as the hoops tourney being in Dallas.
The football value would be qualifying for the NY6 Access bowl. You're not going to get an at large only playing 2-3 P5's a year. You could still schedule those games in a conference and have an opportunity for the Access Bowl.

Right now you could go undefeated and your only bowl tie in is some of the minor ESPN owned bowls. While a G5 conference champ will be in the Access Bowl.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Traveling to the West Division schools, would be some nice road trips.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: May 4th, 2020, 6:09 pm Let me preface by saying that I have heard nothing from Lynchburg so my take is purely speculative. But frankly this move would surprise me a bit. It doesn't bring a ton of value from a football perspective over our current arrangement. If we did what is inferred on HerdFans then it would primarily be motivated based on hoops. The A-Sun gives us a relatively easy path to the Dance but otherwise is a significant step down from CUSA. Here is how the divisions would theoretically align:

East
  • Charlotte
    FAU
    FIU
    Liberty
    Marshall
    MTSU
    ODU
    WKU
West
  • LA Tech
    NM State
    North Texas
    Rice
    Southern Miss
    UAB
    UTEP
    UTSA

I like where your head is at LU would have a JUCO caliber team to play every year. A natural rival. A NY6 possibility every year. It would be something worth considering
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Football drives the train, but LU is probably best school of those listed in "all sports".
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I don't know if I would call it infinitely more appealing, SJ. But it would be a total package upgrade for certain.

The most intruguing aspect would be the potential for the league split following the '21-'22 season creating a new regional league with the eastern division teams without having to sacrifice auto bids. That's the end game that would be most advantageous for us to pursue. Then you are sitting on 8 teams with elbow room to add in a couple of other East Coast schools where you could develop/renew some nice rivalries.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:39 pm

East
  • Charlotte
    FAU
    FIU
    Liberty
    Marshall
    MTSU
    ODU
    WKU
West
  • LA Tech
    NM State
    North Texas
    Rice
    Southern Miss
    UAB
    UTEP
    UTSA

I like where your head is at LU would have a JUCO caliber team to play every year. A natural rival. A NY6 possibility every year. It would be something worth considering
I despise G5 but if we are going to just stay “ comfy” as an Indie and not try and be big boy football - might as well jump in a conference and actually be a G5 rather than a G5 “ equivalent” ( just for you Purple j
By Jonathan Carone
Sly Fox wrote: May 4th, 2020, 9:01 pm I don't know if I would call it infinitely more appealing, SJ. But it would be a total package upgrade for certain.
It gives us something to play for in football. I have missed the conference championship chase the last few years. We may not get to play as many big names, but I’d rather have rivalries and championships. I realize I’m not everyone else, but that excites me more than the Myrtle Beach Bowl.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I understand that sentiment particularly for fans and alumni who still live in the Mid-Atlantic region. Basically we traded conference championships for minor bowl games. As a fan halfway across the continent I actually prefer the latter. But then again I am lucky to be able to get to one game a season. ODU, Marshall & Charlotte have rivalry potential across all sports. Then again I was starting to feel the same way about Army & BYU in football once we start beating them.

It is all fun to ponder.
TH Spangler liked this
By cruzan_flame13
So let me get this straight, the conference that rejected $30 million dollars a few years ago would like to add us as we see the financial issues going on? And Liberty will run right into that and put more money in than we were going to cash out before? The only benefit of joining the conference is for a better conference ranking for basketball. Looking at this long term, I would stay where we are now for financial reasons.
Last edited by cruzan_flame13 on May 4th, 2020, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: May 4th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Sly Fox wrote: May 4th, 2020, 9:01 pm I don't know if I would call it infinitely more appealing, SJ. But it would be a total package upgrade for certain.
It gives us something to play for in football. I have missed the conference championship chase the last few years. We may not get to play as many big names, but I’d rather have rivalries and championships. I realize I’m not everyone else, but that excites me more than the Myrtle Beach Bowl.
These things will go a long way to remedying the two gaping problems with LU football Attendance and Fan Engagement. Games that might now seem of no consequence become consequential. You’ve got fertile ground for one or two good rivalries which will drive attendance. And when the Committees start handing out Bowl Bids there are the obvious auto tie ins, but for any non aligned spots playing in a conference should give LU more clout than playing the current schedule
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I really miss being in a conference so this intrigues me. I don't see this rumor as anymore then somebody spit balling ideas but I like it and it is a much better home for basketball.

Also, it isn't the Sun Belt.
By Ill flame
I would be reluctant to join c-usa unless there were plans to split off the east division and maybe add app st and coastal Carolina or get rid of crossover games and have a 7 game conference schedule.

There are certainly pro's and cons to both. Like most of you here I also miss playing for something more meaningful than a minor bowl game. Having 3 programs that we could develop a rivalry with in football and basketball would be great for fan engagement/ attendance.

Some cons is that this could limit us long term both in terms of scheduling flexibility and our growth potential. It's difficult to become the next Notre Dame and develop a national fanbase without leaving the region.
TH Spangler, sstaedtler liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 4th, 2020, 7:56 pm Traveling to the West Division schools, would be some nice road trips.
If this were to happen, I can just imagine Ballcoach strapping his bicycle into the back of his pickup truck and doing a ROAD TRIP to Birmingham and El Paso (Ballcoach doesn't fly).
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Nary a Thundering Herd reference in this thread from you, CJ? You surprise me.

What I love from the rumor on the Marshall board is that unlike last go around when we were begging CUSA & the Sun Belt to let us in, we now hold the cards and make the call. Well played, Ian. Well played.

The idea of being conference peers with Rice blows my mind. That is as Ivy as we would ever become. But there is a distinct possibility that the Owls could drop Division I athletics at some point.
sstaedtler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: May 5th, 2020, 12:42 am I would be reluctant to join c-usa unless there were plans to split off the east division and maybe add app st and coastal Carolina or get rid of crossover games and have a 7 game conference schedule.

There are certainly pro's and cons to both. Like most of you here I also miss playing for something more meaningful than a minor bowl game. Having 3 programs that we could develop a rivalry with in football and basketball would be great for fan engagement/ attendance.

Some cons is that this could limit us long term both in terms of scheduling flexibility and our growth potential. It's difficult to become the next Notre Dame and develop a national fanbase without leaving the region.
The nature of LU makes it a National magnet. CUSA covers a whole lot of Geography. So while LU will have some incredible regional match ups and rivalries it can build on its name brand already with CUSA footprint
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Half of the proposed West Division is in the Lone Star State. But to be fair, UTEP is closer to Los Angeles than Houston so we barely claim it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: May 5th, 2020, 9:52 am Nary a Thundering Herd reference in this thread from you, CJ? You surprise me.
Sly, any Marshall reference I make requires Purple to throw out his worn out line about JUCO status, so I don't want to "poke the bear" that was 'educated' in Morgantown. :oldhag

But I would be THRILLED if LU joined the C-USA.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: May 5th, 2020, 11:52 am
Sly Fox wrote: May 5th, 2020, 9:52 am Nary a Thundering Herd reference in this thread from you, CJ? You surprise me.
Sly, any Marshall reference I make requires Purple to throw out his worn out line about JUCO status, so I don't want to "poke the bear" that was 'educated' in Morgantown. :oldhag

But I would be THRILLED if LU joined the C-USA.
It’s better than “if you can’t go to college, go to Marshall!”
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: