Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Ill flame
Let's look at how much fbs football has changed over the past 10-25 years.
10 years ago the college football playoff wasn't a thing and we were still in the bcs era. There was no p5 and g5. The WAC still existed and the big east hadn't become the AAC yet.
25 years ago fbs was known as division 1-a. The bcs didn't exist yet which means there was no national championship yet. The big west and southwest conferences were still a thing. There were 12 independent schools at the time and 7 of the 10 conferences had multiple teams ranked.

The game has made massive changes in a very short amount of time and there's no sign of it stopping. We know 10 years from now conference realignment will happen and there's a solid chance the AAC won't exist in its current form. 25 years from now the playoff will probably have expanded multiple times. Every conference will probably look different. The big 12, Sunbelt, c-usa and ACC will probably either not exist or be so different we wouldn't recognize it.

You get too caught up on p5/g5 when those things won't even exist in the not too distant future. We need to win the games on the schedule and keep building a solid foundation until its time to take advantage of these big changes on the horizon.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The ACC screwed up landscape of college sports, when they added Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Notre Dame along with Louisville.
Most everyone said the former Big East was too weak to deserve a BCS bowl. Then the ACC brought in Big East teams, watering down the conference.
And I read this morning that the 2021 ACC basketball tournament is in New York. That's like playing Big South tournament in Oklahoma.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 29th, 2020, 6:29 am The ACC screwed up landscape of college sports, when they added Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Notre Dame along with Louisville.
Most everyone said the former Big East was too weak to deserve a BCS bowl. Then the ACC brought in Big East teams, watering down the conference.
And I read this morning that the 2021 ACC basketball tournament is in New York. That's like playing Big South tournament in Oklahoma.
Atlantic Coast Conference. New York is pretty much on the Atlantic Coast, so that's not really a problem for most.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 29th, 2020, 6:29 am And I read this morning that the 2021 ACC basketball tournament is in New York. That's like playing Big South tournament in Oklahoma.
Ballcoach, the ACC is no longer a conference in the South, but if you check that atlas of yours, you will see that New York is geographically on the Atlantic Coast (and I know Pittsburgh is not, so you may have a point there).

Flamehunter is right!
flamehunter liked this
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 29th, 2020, 7:37 am
ballcoach15 wrote: April 29th, 2020, 6:29 am And I read this morning that the 2021 ACC basketball tournament is in New York. That's like playing Big South tournament in Oklahoma.
Ballcoach, the ACC is no longer a conference in the South, but if you check that atlas of yours, you will see that New York is geographically on the Atlantic Coast (and I know Pittsburgh is not, so you may have a point there).

Flamehunter is right!
If you include Pittsburgh as not on the coast then you should also include the Hokies as well as Clemson and Georgia Tech. They are as far from the coast as Pitt.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I will always think of ACC as Tobacco Road.

Maddest I have ever got at a ball game, was in Durham, NC several years ago, just seeing the Notre Dame baseball team walking into the stadium.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If I had power to "descramble" the ACC, this would be the end result:

UVA
VT
WF
Duke
UNC
NC State
ECU
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

Louisvile, BC, Syracuse, Pitt and Notre Dame would be kicked out.
TH Spangler liked this
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 16th, 2020, 1:28 pm I see you working, smoothie. I think a more likely scenario would swap out UAB and the Florida schools for East Carolina, Charlotte and perhaps a called up JMU. That would make a great bus league.
forgot about ECU and Charlotte. ECU would be a must. Still not impressed with Charlotte. I still prefer having the Florida Schools because of the draw and recruiting, so make it twelve teams :D no need for JMU...cant seem them moving up. I think they are happy being a dominant FCS program. if you held a gun to my head and told me just ten i would take out charlotte from the north and FIU from the south. Call it the Atlantic South Conference.

North Division
LU
ODU
Marshall
Appalachain
ECU
Charlotte
South Division
Coastal
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
UAB
FAU
FIU
Last edited by bigsmooth on April 29th, 2020, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
LU to the SEC or else.
Purple Haize, thepostman, ballcoach15 and 2 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: April 29th, 2020, 11:58 am LU to the SEC or else.
Then they’d be P5 for Reelz
By Ill flame
I'm really curious to see how the next round of realignment will go. I think it'll be either massive realignment (Texas to the big 10 type moves) or absolutely nothing will change. It seems the big 10 and sec are happy where they are at and those are the two conferences that will cause the next round of realignment. It could get bad for the ACC and big 12 real quick
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ACC shot themselves in the foot by bringing in northern and midwest teams. Big 12 shot themselves by not adding a couple teams.
The AAC needs to reorganize and get Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Louisville from ACC, and the southern most AAC schools need to join a conference, somewhere in the south.
By Ill flame
Who should they have added? The big 12 adding west Virginia makes it clear it was slim pickings. ACC was also desperate to add someone. Pittsburgh and Louisville are way better for the acc than ecu and USF.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: April 29th, 2020, 12:45 pm Who should they have added? The big 12 adding west Virginia makes it clear it was slim pickings. ACC was also desperate to add someone. Pittsburgh and Louisville are way better for the acc than ecu and USF.
The Big 12 losing Nebraska hurt the bigly. Losing Texas A and M kinda hurt but you already have a Texas footprint. Losing Colorado and Missouri hurt more. WVU never made sense to me. They were just there and willing to fill an empty chair. Would have liked to see them in the B1G
By Ill flame
West Virginia would have been a worse fit in the big ten. Unfortunately the ACC is the only p5 conference that they wouldve been a decent fit for and that didn't work out. Houston should've been in the big 12 over wvu
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: April 29th, 2020, 2:01 pm West Virginia would have been a worse fit in the big ten. Unfortunately the ACC is the only p5 conference that they wouldve been a decent fit for and that didn't work out. Houston should've been in the big 12 over wvu
WVU has that gritty reputation that fits in perfectly for a Midwest based conference like the B1G. Not sure why you think it would be a bad fit. They would have been a decent ACC fit too because of Tech and Pitt. Those would have been some slobber knocker games.
The Big 12 is pretty flashy but it seems to me they need another team or two. Do a Two for One deal and cut WVU loose to the B1G to get Nebraska back and pick up Houston (and tell Texas to deal with it. Ha)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: April 29th, 2020, 2:31 pm Houston brings zero value to Big XII. If you bring back Nebraska & Arkansas and I would be down.
Nebraska bolting has always seemed odd to me.
By Ill flame
Big ten is pretty elitist when it comes to academics. They wouldn't even consider adding a non AAU school unless it's Notre Dame. Plus west Virginia doesnt have a tv market or massive fanbase like Nebraska has.

I'm not sure what west Virginia brings to the big 12. The city of Houston has a bigger population than the entire state of west Virginia and their fanbase isn't much smaller. As a recruit from Texas I would much rather play against Houston than West Virginia.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: April 29th, 2020, 4:21 pm Big ten is pretty elitist when it comes to academics. They wouldn't even consider adding a non AAU school unless it's Notre Dame. Plus west Virginia doesnt have a tv market or massive fanbase like Nebraska has.

I'm not sure what west Virginia brings to the big 12. The city of Houston has a bigger population than the entire state of west Virginia and their fanbase isn't much smaller. As a recruit from Texas I would much rather play against Houston than West Virginia.
Yeah, I get that about the B1G and their Academic Elite perception. Although, I’d say that ACC schools seem to have a greater Academic reputation by and large.
I love WVU and can’t wait till they find a more natural fit for home
By Ill flame
ACC and big ten are both elite academic conferences but the big ten can afford to be pickier. I know that big 12 money is too good to pass up but I always thought WVU would be a good candidate to go independent in football and join the AAC or A10 in the other sports. They seem to have a loyal fanbase that would be willing to stick with them through the transition.

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]