Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LUDad
This is a selfish post since I live in the area, but I cannot figure out why any Liberty sports team never schedules games against Charlotte. I know there is a decent amount of alumni in the area and I would think the exposure would help recruiting in a decent market. I just can't figure it out. This is not just football, but all sports. Is there anything going on that I'm not aware of, like bad blood or something?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
We aren't either. I think UNCC would be a good school to partner with. I love regional opponents. I'm kind of surprised they haven't shown up on our schedule.
Purple Haize liked this
By tyndal23
If LU screws around with the G5 Regional mentality for too long - UNCC will leave us in the dust. They have the right size city, donors and proximity to ACC regular schedules to really turn in to something.
By LUOrange
I'm pretty certain that ASOR reported a couple years back, that we had contacted UNCC about football and they said that they didn't have any openings. I'd love to play them in almost any sport as well. But I'd love a football and MBB series with them. I'm not sure how they are now, but they were decent in MBB for a little while and even had Mark Price coach them. On top of that, I wouldn't mind a few extra trips to the Queen City.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
LUOrange wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 10:15 pm I'm pretty certain that ASOR reported a couple years back, that we had contacted UNCC about football and they said that they didn't have any openings.
This is correct. Said they would re-evaluate in a few years.
LUOrange wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 10:15 pm I'd love to play them in almost any sport as well. But I'd love a football and MBB series with them. I'm not sure how they are now, but they were decent in MBB for a little while and even had Mark Price coach them. On top of that, I wouldn't mind a few extra trips to the Queen City.
Their current head coach is Ron Sanchez, a Tony Bennett disciple who was on staff at Virginia with McKay. They also have a couple former members of Liberty's staff on their bench - Vic Sfera & Marcus Conrad.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 8:57 pm If LU screws around with the G5 Regional mentality for too long - UNCC will leave us in the dust. They have the right size city, donors and proximity to ACC regular schedules to really turn in to something.
They've had all those advantages for years and their athletic program has still been a dumpster fire. A lot of that was because
of their former AD, Judy Rose, who cared more about being a SJW than winning. The new guy, Mike Hill, should be a big improvement, but there's a lot to fix.
Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: March 4th, 2020, 9:15 am
LUOrange wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 10:15 pm I'm pretty certain that ASOR reported a couple years back, that we had contacted UNCC about football and they said that they didn't have any openings.
This is correct. Said they would re-evaluate in a few years.
LUOrange wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 10:15 pm I'd love to play them in almost any sport as well. But I'd love a football and MBB series with them. I'm not sure how they are now, but they were decent in MBB for a little while and even had Mark Price coach them. On top of that, I wouldn't mind a few extra trips to the Queen City.
Their current head coach is Ron Sanchez, a Tony Bennett disciple who was on staff at Virginia with McKay. They also have a couple former members of Liberty's staff on their bench - Vic Sfera & Marcus Conrad.
I'll be surprised if we don't see them on the schedule for basketball in the next couple of years. Actually, I could see Sanchez doing it next year. With us having so much to replace, it could be his best opportunity to beat us.
LUOrange liked this
By LUDad
Use to get some games at GW and Winthrop. Don't have them anymore. Be nice to get a couple games a year without the round trip to Lynchburg. Got FB season tickets and make a couple baseball series a year. At least we have more games streaming now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 8:57 pm If LU screws around with the G5 Regional mentality for too long - UNCC will leave us in the dust. They have the right size city, donors and proximity to ACC regular schedules to really turn in to something.
You have a tremendous sense of humor. Never lose it :D
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]